Foreigners registering as aliens

Perhaps of interest:

Bureau of Immigration: 153,651 foreigners registered as aliens in 2024

By SHERYLIN UNTALAN, GMA Integrated News,  Published March 10, 2024

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/topstories/nation/900063/bi-153-651-foreigners-registered-as-aliens-in-2024/story/

Over 153,000 foreign nationals participated in the mandatory registration of aliens who are holders of immigrant and non-immigrant visas in the country.

In a statement, the Bureau of Immigration on Sunday said 153,651 foreigners participated in the 2024 Annual Report from January 1 to March 1, 2024.

Immigration Commissioner Norman Tansingco said the number was 13% higher than the 136,065 registrants in 2023.

Among the nationalities who were among the top 10 registered aliens were:

49,556 Chinese Nationals

26,123 Indians

11,671 Vietnamese

10,912 Americans

7,800 Taiwanese

6,019 Indonesians

5,214 Japanese

3,392 Britons

2,804 Malaysians

Tansingco said it was a "positive sign that more and more aliens are applying for residency in the Philippines," unlike during the COVID-19 pandemic when only a few aliens visited the country.

The agency further noted that 80% of the aliens were walk-ins or reported in person at BI field, extension, and satellite offices, as well as selected shopping malls in Metro Manila and elsewhere which were venues for this year's annual report.

"It was learned that the government earned almost P16 million from this year's annual report, compared to last year's collection of P11 million," the BI noted.

Under the Alien Registration Act of 1950, BI-registered foreign nationals must make the annual report within the first 60 days of every calendar year.

Only those aliens registered with the agency as immigrants and non-immigrants are required to make the annual report, not foreign tourists or temporary visitors.

"Immigrants are permanent residents in the Philippines while non-immigrants refer to temporary residents such as foreign workers or expatriates and students," BI said.

— DVM, GMA Integrated News

`

Guessing this does not include anyone here on balikbayan status or those staying on extended tourist visas for up to 3 years.

Guessing this does not include anyone here on balikbayan status or those staying on extended tourist visas for up to 3 years.        -@mugteck

Yes mate, and a look at the actual BI Release also doesn't make the point clear ..

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=808180041349770&set=a.223640839803696

430464184_808180034683104_8674870833423631985_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=v9QFYqpznogAX9mfx7_&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd14-1.fna&oh=00_AfBNlAn4DWFK8uF1OMcewrtzHbBh7scnrm9j-YPnpl9ahA&oe=65F36A86

`

They said the top ten countries, but then they only listed nine.  Is number ten Australia?

They said the top ten countries, but then they only listed nine.  Is number ten Australia?

-@mugteck

`

Haha .. yes, having a look at the BI report, the reporter has left out South Koreans at number six on this list at 6448 people.

Seems odd to me that there aren't  more Aussies?

Seems odd to me that such tripe gets posted here.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl said. . . . Seems odd to me that such tripe gets posted here.

Tripe is one of the favorite foods for Filipinos, not Expats.

Don't post it here, eat it.

Funny Bob I've never seen tripe for sale here ever or I'd be the first expat to purchase, cooked in a nice cheese, white wine and hollandaise sauce, fresh ground pepper and a finely chopped parsley. Seems no market for tripe here, no beef industry and not worth sending here as it's only offal.

Oh wrong tripe?

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl replied. . . . Funny Bob I've never seen tripe for sale here ever or I'd be the first expat to purchase, cooked in a nice cheese, white wine and hollandaise sauce, fresh ground pepper and a finely chopped parsley. Seems no market for tripe here, no beef industry and not worth sending here as it's only offal.

My stepson arrive from UK and my wife prepared tripe for him in a slow cooker. From time to time my wife prepares chicken feet, gizzards and other things us westerners would almost consider repulsive.

I'll stick to my western diet. Last night I had Hormel Chili with beans. My wife added ground beef, onions, hot sauce and crushed crackers.

LOL Bob, I'm an Aussie and I will eat anything as long as it's well cooked, pigs blood, gizzards from chooks or pigs. I stop at Balut and the stinky shrimp paste, oh as well as the dried fish that is never cooked or eaten in the house, boys food while they are drinking.

Cheers, Steve.

Seems odd to me that such tripe gets posted here.
Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

Does not include Australians, must be tripe.

I had read concerns before about so many Chinese nationalists setting up camp in the Philippines.  These numbers indicate a large number, along with a good number of Indians.  The major concern would be foreigners becoming citizens and starting to buy land,

Hence the 10 year law for naturalization mugteck, slows many down.

As for your comment about Australians and tripe? Perhaps you could elaborate on your post so I know whether to take offence and retaliate.

Cheers, Steve.

As for your comment about Australians and tripe? Perhaps you could elaborate on your post so I know whether to take offence and retaliate.

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

Just kidding

LOL. I'm putting on weight but not kidding.

Cheers, Steve.

mugteck said. . . . . I had read concerns before about so many Chinese nationalists setting up camp in the Philippines.  These numbers indicate a large number, along with a good number of Indians.  The major concern would be foreigners becoming citizens and starting to buy land,

In the year 2023, 37,000 illegal Chinese entered the US at the southern border.

In the year 2023, 37,000 illegal Chinese entered the US at the southern border.     

-@Enzyte Bob

Makes you wonder how they got across the Pacific and why did Mexico allow them into Mexico.  How many of these 37,000 entered Mexico legally?

Makes you wonder how they got across the Pacific and why did Mexico allow them into Mexico.  How many of these 37,000 entered Mexico legally?

-@mugteck

It is generally difficult for regular Chinese citizens to get a US or Canadian VISA without a lot of effort but there is Mexico which has very liberal policies. Even Filipinos can easily visit Mexico. So the question is, how do they get there? I could suggest that There exist Chinese container shipping companies that will transport Chinese to Mexico for a price for legal entry, it doesn't have to be smuggling, just as their fentanyl operations in Mexico are legal by Mexican law. I do know that by air transport overseas,  Chinese must have a passport and the equivalent of an exit visa. They should be able to get passports but not sure about exit visas but if they do show up at the docks and immigration officers are not present or paid off, who is to stop them? I suspect most of these 37000 future USA Chinese laundry and restaurant entrepreneurs are coming in by sea on container ships. I love American style Chinese food (chicken chow mein, moo goo Gai pan, General Tai's chicken etc., not available in the Phils, or China) and of course, Chinese laundries are the cheapest and best lol.

Funny Bob I've never seen tripe for sale here ever or I'd be the first expat to purchase, cooked in a nice cheese, white wine and hollandaise sauce, fresh ground pepper and a finely chopped parsley. Seems no market for tripe here, no beef industry and not worth sending here as it's only offal.
Oh wrong tripe?

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

I was eating kare-kare at a local restaurant (local as in Filipino) and the "beef" had a funny texture. I asked my gf what it was, and she said "cow towel" or something like that, and I came to understand that was stomach lining, which is what tripe is.

It must be sold here, but there are so many unrecognizable (to me. at least) things in the markets.

@Enzyte Bob. Dont forget those canned Hormel tamales! Cant beat em!