Current e-visa negated by a new application?

I have a question from a friend of mine in Canada.
He has been granted an e-visa (enter May 9, exit June 8), and is hoping to extend his stay by an additional 30 days.
He was thinking that upon arrival in VN he would apply for a new e-visa, exiting and entering back into VN on the same day that his current e-visa expires through one of the land borders.
My immediate concern was that an application for a new e-visa (if submitted/granted prior to his leaving VN) might negate his current one, thereby complicating his departure at the border crossing.
Thoughts?
He has been granted an e-visa (enter May 9, exit June 8), and is hoping to extend his stay by an additional 30 days.
He was thinking that upon arrival in VN he would apply for a new e-visa, exiting and entering back into VN on the same day that his current e-visa expires through one of the land borders.
My immediate concern was that an application for a new e-visa (if submitted/granted prior to his leaving VN) might negate his current one, thereby complicating his departure at the border crossing.
Thoughts?
- @Aidan in HCMC
Long ago when I used to come in on a 3 months tourist visa obtained on line through an agent (letter on arrival type) I used to apply for the letter in Vietnam at least 2 weeks before the visa ran out & I made the Visa run & never had a problem. Maybe things have moved on since then data base wise but I doubt it. More chance they would pick up on the application that he was still in the country & block it.....just a thought like!
Thoughts?
- @Aidan in HCMC
You assumption is correct about getting new visa, exiting and then returning. The existing evisa will not be negated by applying for another. Tomorrow some of the first evisa holders will be making their border runs. I will make mine on the 25th. I already have my second evisa in hand for the 26th.
Thoughts?
- @Aidan in HCMC
Long ago when I used to come in on a 3 months tourist visa obtained on line through an agent (letter on arrival type) I used to apply for the letter in Vietnam at least 2 weeks before the visa ran out & I made the Visa run & never had a problem. Maybe things have moved on since then data base wise but I doubt it. More chance they would pick up on the application that he was still in the country & block it.....just a thought like! - @goodolboy
I applied for my second evisa while sitting in my living room in Cu Chi. No blocking. Many others have also received their second while in country.
Hopefully everything works as in the past.
I applied for my second evisa while sitting in my living room in Cu Chi. No blocking. Many others have also received their second while in country.
- @pogiwayne

Thank you gentlemen. I'll pass it on to my friend.
Pogiwayne, please post back your experience after your reentry.
- @pogiwayne

Thank you gentlemen. I'll pass it on to my friend.
Pogiwayne, please post back your experience after your reentry.
- @Aidan in HCMC
I definitely do that..........
Hello everybody. We also arrive on May 9th for the first time in Vietnam and are going to extend our e visa at the consulate.  I was wondering why in this case to leave and enter. Is it done in the case when you want to extend it again?
Hello everybody. We also arrive on May 9th for the first time in Vietnam and are going to extend our e visa at the consulate.  I was wondering why in this case to leave and enter. Is it done in the case when you want to extend it again?
- @GautamSV
You don't extend an e-Visa.

You will apply for a new e-Visa online, at least one week (2 weeks is better) before your first e-Visa expires.

Not at an Embassy.

Use the same online portal you used to get your first e-Visa.

Then, on or before the day your first
e-Visa expires, you must do a border run by land or air.

Then you re-enter Vietnam on the new e-Visa.

Good luck!
@pogiwayne
I pray all goes well for you today, pogiwayne.
@pogiwayne
I pray all goes well for you today, pogiwayne.
- @Aidan in HCMC
I am in the PP airport waiting for my flight to SGN. All went well at the Vietnam Airline check-in.
Hope all goes well for you.
@pogiwayne

Good Stuff! Welcome home  :)

─────────────────██▌─███████▌────────
─────────────────███─██████████▌─────
───────────────▐─███████████████▌────
──────────────▐██████████████████▌───
──────────────▐███████████████████▌──
──────────────▐████████████████████──
──────────────█████████░░░█████████──
─────────────██████░░░▓░░░░▓░░░░███──
────────────▐█████░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░██──
─────────────▐███░░░█████░░░░███░█▌──
─────────────█████░█░░░░░░█▓░░░░█▌───
─────────────█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▌───
─────────────█░███░░░░█░░░░░▐▀▌░░▌───
────────▄▄▄──█░░█░░░░░█░░░░░▐▄▌░▓▌───
──────▐█░░░█─█░█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░▌───
─────▐█░░░░█─▐▄▌▓░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░▌───
─────▐█░░░░█───▐▓░░░▐▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░█────
──────▐█░░░█▌───▐▓░░░▐─────▌░░░█▌────
──▄▄▄▄███░░██────▐▓░░░▀▀▀▀▀░░░█▌─────
─▐██░░████░░█▄▄───██▓░░░░░░░░█▌──────
▐██▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░▓█▌─█████░░░░░▓██───────
▐█▓░░░░░░▓░░░░▓▓▌─███████████────────
▐█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░█▓█▄▄█████▓▓██─────────
▐█▓░░░░░▓▓░░░░░░░▓▓▓████▓░███────────
▐█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░█░░▓█▓▄██████░░███▄──────
─▐█░░░░░▓▓░██▀▀▀▀▐██████░▄░███▓▌─────
──▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀──────█████░░▄░░███▓▌────
─────────────────▐█████░░▄░░██▓░▓▌───
─────────────────▐█████░░▄░░███░▓▌───
────────────────▐██████░░▄░░███░░▓▌──
─░░────────────▐███████░░▄░░███▓░▓▌──
░░░░───────────▐███████░░░▄░░░███░▓▌─
░──░──────────────▐████████████▌░░▓▌─
░──░──────────────█████████████▌▓░░▓▌
░──░─────────────▐██████████████░▓░▓▌
░──░─────────────███████████████▓░▓▌─
░──░──────────────▓████████████▌░▓▌──
░──░────────────────█▓█▌──█▓█▌───────
░──░────────────█──██▓█▌─█▓▓█████▓▌──
░──░───────█████████▓█▌─██▓▓███████▌─
░──░──────█████████▓▓▓█▌─████████───█
░░░░─────██───██████▓██▌──███████████
─░░─────██████████████▌───██──█████──
─────────████████──██

Good luck!
- @OceanBeach92107

The e-visa my brother just received states "Allowed to entry [stet] through Tan Son Nhat  Int Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) checkpoint"

Has anyone here used an e-visa through a land border gate?

Traveller
@Travelfar
To myself:  should have been [sic] not [stet].  I blame a "senior moment" since I have been out of school for a half-century.

Good luck!
- @OceanBeach92107

The e-visa my brother just received states "Allowed to entry [stet] through Tan Son Nhat  Int Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) checkpoint"

Has anyone here used an e-visa through a land border gate?

Traveller
- @Travelfar
During the application process for an eVisa, there is a drop-down field listing all of the entry ports in Vietnam (air, land and sea).

Whatever the user chooses, that's what will appear on the eVisa.

Lots of people are entering via land crossings, but they must have chosen that entry point when they submitted the application.

Word is (big visa advice group on FB) that people who change their minds or make a mistake have to apply for a new/replacement eVisa.

Apparently immigration isn't inclined to correct errors.

The only exception is choosing an airport and changing to another airport.

That's allowed (visa says Hanoi but you arrive in Danang).
Absolutely correct, OB.
Though the statement on the faq page is a little ambiguous, so I understand some people's confusion..
evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/faq

"V. Entry & exit with an e-Visa
1. Which entry & exit checkpoints allow e-Visa holders to enter and exit Vietnam?
E-Visa holders can enter and exit Vietnam through any checkpoint in 33 international checkpoints."

A literal reading would indicate that once you've received your e-Visa you have multiple entry point choices. This, however, is not the case. You are bound to your e-Visa stated entry point.

(edit: what's up with the forum's "quote" function?)
(edit edit: and hey, what the hell? I can "like" myself :) )
@Aidan in HCMC

new to the site and the issue about the visa situation , l believe to you can only get a 30 day E visa and to get it renewed you have to leave VN ?

my question is do you have to leave VN and can to reapply 2 weeks prior to expiring?

thank you
@Aidan in HCMC

new to the site and the issue about the visa situation , l believe to you can only get a 30 day E visa and to get it renewed you have to leave VN ?

my question is do you have to leave VN and can to reapply 2 weeks prior to expiring?

thank you
- @ctlm1404

Yes you can apply and 2 weeks prior. Yes you have to leave and return on your new visa.
HI Any news about whether the 3 months VOA will ever come back. Cheers Peter
HI Any news about whether the 3 months VOA will ever come back. Cheers Peter
- @peterl74

Nobody knows yet, when we do it will be posted - we will make sure there is a sticky to notify everyone interested.