Nursery

hi i'm looking for information on nursery schools (either international or local) in almaty for my three years daughter. what is on average the year fee and quality of education? any name of school to suggest?
thanks 
gus

Here's a helpful list:

almatyclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=72

Sorry, can't give you info on prices.

Hi guscorti,
Welcome to Expat.com!:)

I hope that other members will be helpful to you.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

hi kazakh man
thank you very much for that information
gus

You're welcome. Just noticed prices for two of the daycares are mentioned. USD 1.00 = KZT 148

There are other strictly Kazakh and/or Russian daycare facilities that would probably be somewhat cheaper.

That was a list of daycare groups targeting children of expats.

There are two types of daycares in Almaty: state-run (government subsidized) and private. The state-run cost around KZT 15,000/month, but usually it's very difficult to register your child there as the wating lists are long and space is limited. It's common to pay some kind of bribe to the state-run daycare director to have your child registered. However, some of them are better than others, so you gotta be careful.

Sorry, I'm not sure if kids of foreign citizens are even eligible to register in those... Maybe yes for working visa or permanent residence holders but I doubt it.

Browsed through numerous ads for preschool childcare facilities in Almaty, it seems KZT 50,000/moth is about average for privately owned ones.

Here's a list of state-run daycares (sorry, in Russian only, but just to give you an idea).

almatyclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=72

Normally, if you live in a nice area of the city, there would be a few daycares in the vicinity to choose from. You can ask around from moms of the kids attending them to see which one suits you best.

Usually the private daycares are PACKED with all sorts of educational/sports/arts programs for the kids. In state-run they focus on education and creative arts, too, just with fewer options. The quality can vary, but overall I would say they are not bad. Sometimes you can be surprised by some really talented and motivated teachers.

Can't recommend you any one as I'm away from Almaty now. However, if you let me know the area you live in (going to live in) I can google KZ forums on the internet for parents' reviews of the daycares available in that area.