1 year/6 month business visa suspended

Hi there,

I searched the forum and could not find an answer to my question.

I am planning to come to Vietnam in November and would like to obtain a 1 year business visa for non-USA citizens (I am Canadian).  I have spoken to 2 different online visa agents (I have used them before for visitor visas, they are legit) and they told me that Vietnam Immigration has temporarily suspended the issuance of these visas.

I asked why this is the case and when would they resume issuing the visas.  They had no idea.

So my question is:  Why did Vietnam Immigration stop issuing these visas?  Does anyone know when  (or if) they might start again?

Thank you for your assistance.

BTW, I wanted to add, I also contacted the VN consulate here about this, they were not able to answer my questions...

Those suspension happen somehow, from time to time. I heard of such already and believable. Usually also related to illegal (foreigner  have to leave some area. or not allowed to stay even overnight (state visit) .....and maybe other reasons.
If you still planning, check maybe in a month time otherwise just make simple tourist visa and change it
This suspension are normally only pretty short term.
Last time, I can remember, some people reported Danang, foreign state event with the ASIA meeeting

@l3ully - Thank you for the reply.  I will check again next month, maybe Immigration will start issuing these visas again.

Similar was already a few times in my 13 years + here. Never was for a longer period. Also could be, they use the same contact and this one might be out of office

Visa regulations here change like you change your jocks.

Who knows why, but another visa will take its place. Once visa numbers drop again, immigration will issue easy to obtain visas to get the numbers back up, and the process will start all over again.

This also could be a reason just recently seen actually a news article about spending difference. Not sure the numbers, between Chinese band north Americans and they prefer NA, because they tend to spend more

I personally think, that this difference might be just the huge cultural difference. Eg dropping in D1 ...  Whereas Chinese might be in D5 ...

zeubie wrote:

Hi there,

I am planning to come to Vietnam in November and would like to obtain a 1 year business visa for non-USA citizens (I am Canadian).  I have spoken to 2 different online visa agents (I have used them before for visitor visas, they are legit) and they told me that Vietnam Immigration has temporarily suspended the issuance of these visas.

I asked why this is the case and when would they resume issuing the visas.  They had no idea.

So my question is:  Why did Vietnam Immigration stop issuing these visas?  Does anyone know when  (or if) they might start again?

I don't think my info will help you personally, but I'll reply because your post title does not make clear you are inquiring about a non-U.S. citizen Visa.

I received my 1 year multi-entry business visa stamp for U.S. Citizens on August 30, 2018. My passport was then stamped by immigration with a notation that I am allowed to enter and stay 1 year.

Anyone who wants the name of my well-known visa on arrival agency can send me a private message and I'll provide the info.

According to my VOA agent, the limitation on 1 Year business visas is for non-U.S. Citizens only.

Now, to paint a clearer picture of what actually transpires at the airport when you use a VOA agency, it's important to note that the agencies do not represent you personally at the airport. They simply get you on the pre-approved list.

Even if you purchase VIP assistance as I did, the task of walking your paperwork through the visa stamp process is handled by one of a number of "lobbyists" (my word; for lack of a better term) who are hired by your agent AND have an established relationship with Immigration officials, allowing them to bump you to the head of the line.

These "lobbyists" handle a large number of cases per day from various agents. My lobbyist was able to quickly school me in this process when there was a pause in progress due to a temporary glitch in being handed off to my pre-arranged driver.

I was told by two different VOA agencies that U.S. citizen business visas are temporarily on hold, before my ultimate agent had mine approved.

Because of that inconsistency, I'm led to believe that all Agent~Immigration relationships are not created equal.

Again, while this may not help you as a Canadian, I would encourage U.S. citizens to inquire at more than a couple of well-known VOA agencies, before becoming totally discouraged.

I am since 28 y in VN. Pls send mail to *** Mr. Johnny with my greating to him.
Best Michael von Brasch.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you again for all of your replies - I appreciate it.

@Michael Da Lat - I will be heading to Da Lat first on my upcoming stay in VN, hopefully our paths might cross at an expat get together :-)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
zeubie wrote:

Hi there,

I don't think my info will help you personally, but I'll reply because your post title does not make clear you are inquiring about a non-U.S. citizen Visa.

I received my 1 year multi-entry business visa stamp for U.S. Citizens on August 30, 2018. My passport was then stamped by immigration with a notation that I am allowed to enter and stay 1 year.

Anyone who wants the name of my well-known visa on arrival agency can send me a private message and I'll provide the info.

According to my VOA agent, the limitation on 1 Year business visas is for non-U.S. Citizens only.

Now, to paint a clearer picture of what actually transpires at the airport when you use a VOA agency, it's important to note that the agencies do not represent you personally at the airport. They simply get you on the pre-approved list.

Even if you purchase VIP assistance as I did, the task of walking your paperwork through the visa stamp process is handled by one of a number of "lobbyists" (my word; for lack of a better term) who are hired by your agent AND have an established relationship with Immigration officials, allowing them to bump you to the head of the line.

These "lobbyists" handle a large number of cases per day from various agents. My lobbyist was able to quickly school me in this process when there was a pause in progress due to a temporary glitch in being handed off to my pre-arranged driver.

I was told by two different VOA agencies that U.S. citizen business visas are temporarily on hold, before my ultimate agent had mine approved.

Because of that inconsistency, I'm led to believe that all Agent~Immigration relationships are not created equal.

Again, while this may not help you as a Canadian, I would encourage U.S. citizens to inquire at more than a couple of well-known VOA agencies, before becoming totally discouraged.

You may want to double check your visa. The American 1-year visa has a 3-month stay and exit attached to it. Just check before you find out the hard way with an overstay fine when you exit. Better to be safe than sorry.

if you still need help, I have an agent I've used many times. SHe knows her stuff. and immigration laws. Great service. Let me know and I'll pass on details.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
zeubie wrote:

Hi there,

You may want to double check your visa. The American 1-year visa has a 3-month stay and exit attached to it. Just check before you find out the hard way with an overstay fine when you exit. Better to be safe than sorry.

As I wrote: "My passport was then stamped by immigration with a notation that I am allowed to enter and stay 1 year."

Not sure why you think that isn't "double checking" it.

Yes, the 1-year tourist visa has the limitation you mention.

Also, we've had at least one poster claim that the immigration officer "accidentally" made a notation limiting the stay to 3 months on a business visa.

There has also been discussion on here that the immigration officer who actually stamps the passport has the final say. That, perhaps, is THE only certainty in the entire process. Both the visa stamp AND the websites for the U.S. Vietnamese Embassy and Consulates make THAT point very clear.

Knowing all of that, I double-checked while still standing in front of the passport-stamping officer, in the presence of the VOA "lobbyist".

The Immigration officer verbally confirmed what could be seen with my own eyes: I'm approved to stay here a full year on a multi-entry visa stamp.

Now, let's say I go to Laos or Cambodia in a month and come back across at a ground border crossing, and the immigration officer there stamps my passport that I'm allowed to stay for 3 months? Then, unless I can manage to get that changed, thats my new stay limitation.

I'll probably always pay extra for any assistance available when re-entering VN, to avoid what others have experienced (if possible).

You know what they say about 'death and coffee money'...

:cool:

that is really great advice. thanks for taking the time.

@Bradley007 - Yes, if you can send me your immigration agent's contact info, that would be great.  Thanks for your help.

Q

Q?   ..careful, 'James'!

Yogi (should) know furry well intellectual weaponry is not suited to
the common herd...      :blink:

zeubie wrote:

@Bradley007 - Yes, if you can send me your immigration agent's contact info, that would be great.  Thanks for your help.

You are Canadian (God bless you!) and my information is specific to U.S. citizens. My agent says she can only help U.S. Citizens with the 1 year business visa.

Also, I asked anyone who wants the info to send me a private message. Not a reply in the thread. Thanks!

Just an update:  the agent I was speaking to in HCMC contacted me yesterday - he stated that on 18 October 2018, Immigration should resume issuing the  6 month and 1 year business visas.

Here's hoping...

zeubie wrote:

Just an update:  the agent I was speaking to in HCMC contacted me yesterday - he stated that on 18 October 2018, Immigration should resume issuing the  6 month and 1 year business visas.

Here's hoping...

Hello!
Please report how there will be news. I am also interested in this topic.
Grateful.

..and many more await with baited breath...     :unsure

Hi there,

I spoke to my agent yesterday... he informed that VN Immigration is still not issuing 1 year/6 month DN visas to non-USA citizens, but he expects that to change in the future (when, he did not know).

Bazza139 wrote:

..and many more await with baited breath...     :unsure

Bazza, shouldn't that be "bated breath."😀

Nope.  I lay bait for bunnies...     :whistle:

What's going on then? From what I can see above only three-month business extensions or below are available?

1312j wrote:

What's going on then? From what I can see above only three-month business extensions or below are available?

2 mut bia?

1312j wrote:

Not to be argumentative, but you are listed on your profile as a British citizen. As you know, rules are unique for each country.

Also, it's difficult to see where you found the info in this thread that inspired your post.

zeubie wrote:

Hi there,

here is a topic i have been researching avidly for the last 6 months. i am canadian. i live in hanoi, do not work. i leave the country every 3 months for a new visa. this is getting costly.

i heard about the 0ne year visa and approached my visa agent who is very straight foreward and honest, as far as i can see. he has not steered me wrong once and gets my VOA and even flights at super good deals so i trust him.

he told me the one year business visas were suspended as of February 2018. he told me i could still purchase one, but that there is no guarantee the police may show up at my residence and if i am not sponsored i could be deported. he said a few foreigners had actually been deported since the suspension and he does not recommend taking the chance. he did say that in HCMC it is less likely to happen that the cops/immigration officials will show up. he was not sure why, it was simply the info he had.

he didnt mention anything about the ban being lifted.

thats all the info i got from him. its a bummer because i would really like a one year visa, but it seems i arrived just a little too late. (one year visas issued before February are "grandfathered in and will be honored until expiry)

anyways, im watching this thread, hopefully things change soon. i dont want to have to move to Cambodia!

tommylacroix wrote:
zeubie wrote:

Hi there,

here is a topic i have been researching avidly for the last 6 months. i am canadian. i live in hanoi, do not work. i leave the country every 3 months for a new visa. this is getting costly.

i heard about the 0ne year visa and approached my visa agent who is very straight foreward and honest, as far as i can see. he has not steered me wrong once and gets my VOA and even flights at super good deals so i trust him.

he told me the one year business visas were suspended as of February 2018. he told me i could still purchase one, but that there is no guarantee the police may show up at my residence and if i am not sponsored i could be deported. he said a few foreigners had actually been deported since the suspension and he does not recommend taking the chance. he did say that in HCMC it is less likely to happen that the cops/immigration officials will show up. he was not sure why, it was simply the info he had.

he didnt mention anything about the ban being lifted.

thats all the info i got from him. its a bummer because i would really like a one year visa, but it seems i arrived just a little too late. (one year visas issued before February are "grandfathered in and will be honored until expiry)

anyways, im watching this thread, hopefully things change soon. i dont want to have to move to Cambodia!

all over all,
according to my knowledge, there never was a "working visa" since the past 14 years,unless that whwre some special editions from hammock 13, in hut 2 somewhere up the trees.
A;; I can tell you; you have a reason, to stay,, other than tourist trying to make a quick buck, you gonna get
1,2,3 and 6 years are the options, which is somehow a limited residence card. Anything else is a bosa for tourists or teaching carpenters.
Some NA's can can get at least a visa as yourist for 1 year,,,, . Not sure, if there is an additional extra ..
Of you ain't not from the above, you are a teacher, a teacjing carpenter or just a tourist
Those eligable for residency know anyway, what they are and if true, they have.

Is my final post to all that bullshit, to read here. Laws are regulary pblshed, also in english, changes upcoming, the same.

I3ully - over 13 here, without leaving the country

I'm from the UK and got my last 12 month multiple entry business visa in March 2018 without any problems.  A friend of mine from Germany got his 3 months ago.

Started 'preparing' already for the new one in Mar 2019 .  Issues of 6/12 month business visas are still on hold at the moment.....

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
1312j wrote:

Not to be argumentative, but you are listed on your profile as a British citizen. As you know, rules are unique for each country.

Also, it's difficult to see where you found the info in this thread that inspired your post.

From the general messages on here.

After speaking to my visa agent, I've been advised to use an upcoming visa trip out of Vietnam to just get a new one.

It's inconsistent.

I currently have a 1 year multiple entry business visa.  It is supposed to allow me to stay the entire year and we were told this by the HCMC consulate.   It was issued from the consulate in San Francisco and they said I had to exit every 3 months.  So far, all entries have no stamped 3 months but I've been leaving every 3 months just to be safe.

In April, I had to get a new passport.   Afterwards, I was able to enter Vietnam, exit Vietnam, and then enter VN without any problem.  It was on the four trek through customs (second time exiting) that they finally decided to to point out that my visa number and new passport number no longer match.  I had to pay US$5 (literally US, they did not even offer me a VND option) to get the visa updated and stamped on my new visa that I paid US$5.

I've got stories about trying to get a multi-entry chinese visa in vietnam with a US passport too.  Another day living in the wild, wild East.