Finding your bearings in India

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in India? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in India?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Very interesting question!  I have practical experience with this, which I had to learn just a few days ago.  Unlike in the US, where road infrastructure is decades-old and well-mapped out, with the occasional foray into a lake somewhere, the mapping of India is not keeping up with the break-neck speed of road construction.  My friend explained it like this (when we were coming back late at night from Vṛndāvana to Gājiyābād).

When you drive down to a distant place each time, the path there is slightly different because of fast construction, especially flyovers that take you to a destination off the main road.  When you drive back, the same thing happens, and you get rerouted off the expressway with no way to figure out from the GPS as to how to get back on track.  The road system is changing this much each month around Delhi.  I've never seen anything like this before!

Two years ago, an expressway was being built from scratch (from Delhi to Ghaziabad).  That much is completed.  There is another stretch being done now, and it's causing confusion for my friend, who has to find a different route home every couple of weeks or so.  Using GPS in construction areas could be chaotic for 10-15 more years.  Hopefully, the mapping of the country will stabilize more over the years.

The NDA government has cracked the whip on development to catch up from 70 years of government mismanagement of governance, infrastructure building/maintenance, and services availability.