I'd need to purchase a motorbike here

Hello all. To make a long story short... some 8 years ago I traveled to this beautiful country for work. I was actually training my replacement as the company I was working for in Miami FL was moving operations to Costa Rica.

While here, a beautiful woman caught my eye, and I hers. Thing is i was only to be here for a week and so aside from introducing ourselves at work, we never actually got to spend any time together.

Back then I wasn't making much money, I was actually only earning $11 an hour, I was a temp at the job and I was training an entire department here in CR, it was the first time I've ever been outside the U.S.

When I got back to Mia we both kept contact through facebook. My daughter was 12 back then and with no real way to ever get back to Costa Rica, after a month we just stopped communicating... but I always wondered about her. Its not often for me that a women looked at me the way she did, I was very intrigued but.. again with no real way back we sort of stopped talking.

Fast forward to about a a month and a half ago. I recieve a message on facebook... and her.

We talked about regretting never meeting 8 years ago, also talked about what happened in our lives  in the years we werent communicating. Turns out, she is single and so am I and so we figured...  ain't no time like the present so here I am a month and a half after her message... visiting her in Costa Rica and well..

I dont really want to go back home.

It's only been a week but we seem to be pretty close already, we decided to be in a relationship and the intention is to live together, here in Costa Rica.

Well, that's the short version, so why am I here in this forum?

I have a lot of questions, mostly about how to go about this transition in the best manner.

Currently i plan to go back to the states because I make ok money. I plan on saving some money to start purchasing neccesities before making the final trip to stay here, which may take a few years.

I am interested in figuring out what I'd need to purchase a motorbike here, nothing too fancy but reliable ki e. I do have a current Moto endorsement on my FL drivers licence, I am wondering about what I should be considering as far as motor bike purchases.

What price range am I going to be dealing with?

Should I steer clear from certain brands?

Where should I buy, I'm kind of paranoid I will be ripped off and I am by no means rich, not by any standard so I have to be very cost conscious as I dont want to drag this out for too long.

Also I am planning on making trips back and forth until the final move, which may take years. I think I can bring about three suitcases full of stuff per trip so that should be ok. I'm looking to purchase essentials and begin to somewhat stock pile certain things I may not be able to afford once I am a permanent resident and employed here in Costa Rica, any advice?

Whoa. I said this was going to be short didnt I. Oops. 😀

Anyways, that's my story thus far and any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh, I am currently in Rincon de Venegas.. according to my phone.

Be Humble wrote:

Hello all. To make a long story short... some 8 years ago I traveled to this beautiful country for work. I was actually training my replacement as the company I was working for in Miami FL was moving operations to Costa Rica.

While here, a beautiful woman caught my eye, and I hers. Thing is i was only to be here for a week and so aside from introducing ourselves at work, we never actually got to spend any time together.

Back then I wasn't making much money, I was actually only earning $11 an hour, I was a temp at the job and I was training an entire department here in CR, it was the first time I've ever been outside the U.S.

When I got back to Mia we both kept contact through facebook. My daughter was 12 back then and with no real way to ever get back to Costa Rica, after a month we just stopped communicating... but I always wondered about her. Its not often for me that a women looked at me the way she did, I was very intrigued but.. again with no real way back we sort of stopped talking.

Fast forward to about a a month and a half ago. I recieve a message on facebook... and her.

We talked about regretting never meeting 8 years ago, also talked about what happened in our lives  in the years we werent communicating. Turns out, she is single and so am I and so we figured...  ain't no time like the present so here I am a month and a half after her message... visiting her in Costa Rica and well..

I dont really want to go back home.

It's only been a week but we seem to be pretty close already, we decided to be in a relationship and the intention is to live together, here in Costa Rica.

Well, that's the short version, so why am I here in this forum?

I have a lot of questions, mostly about how to go about this transition in the best manner.

Currently i plan to go back to the states because I make ok money. I plan on saving some money to start purchasing neccesities before making the final trip to stay here, which may take a few years.

I am interested in figuring out what I'd need to purchase a motorbike here, nothing too fancy but reliable ki e. I do have a current Moto endorsement on my FL drivers licence, I am wondering about what I should be considering as far as motor bike purchases.

Where should I buy, I'm kind of paranoid I will be ripped off and I am by no means rich, not by any standard so I have to be very cost conscious as I dont want to drag this out for too long.

Also I am planning on making trips back and forth until the final move, which may take years. I think I can bring about three suitcases full of stuff per trip so that should be ok. I'm looking to purchase essentials and begin to somewhat stock pile certain things I may not be able to afford once I am a permanent resident and employed here in Costa Rica, any advice?

Thanks.

Hola Humble,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Really happy that was the "short" version.   :D   Okay, first, be very, very careful with a relationship with a Costa Rican woman.  There ARE many, many wonderful, nice and honest Tica's here; however, there are also a few that are happy to scam a Gringo when they get the chance.  I was told by a friend, a Tico lawyer, that the laws and the courts do favor the women here especially when it comes to Ticas vs. Gringos in relationship/property disputes.  Just be wary.

Now for the fun stuff - motos!  I've had a motorcycle, called moto's here, for most of my life - since I was 16.  I've had two here and now ride a BMW F650 GS Dakar.  I will probably be switching to a Honda 250 in the future just due to the area that I'll be living in - there are a lot more gravel roads there.

Make sure that when you come down that your FL license is current and that it clearly shows the motorcycle endorsement.  It will make it very easy for you to obtain a CR driver's license and CR moto license.  They are two separate licenses.

As to brands, it's the same here as the States, there are many cheap Chinese, Taiwan and North Korean brands.  I bought a brand called UM when I first moved here, a 200cc.  The cost was about $1,800 for a new bike so I thought I'd try it.  I was impressed with how well it ran.  I kept it for about 3 years and never had one issue.  I bought quite a few upgrades for it and most Honda brand parts fit it.  If I did it again I would get a Honda simply because if I want a small moto I need at least a 250 cc for the hills/mountains here.  But a Honda will also cost about $5,000 for the same thing.  So if you want to go new I can say UM was great for me at a very low price.  The $1,800 included everything, all taxes, tags, etc.

If you look on Ecuentra24 Costa Rica, in the "Cars" section, then motorcycle you'll find just about anything at any price.  It can be switched to English if you need.  If you buy used, you'll need to find a recommended moto mechanic to go through it before purchasing.  Also, when buying used, you will need to go through an attorney to transfer title.

On being "...employed in Costa Rica...."  I would suggest your review other posts on this subject.  It's not easy to work here legally until you have your permanent residency and that will take about four or more years.  Immigration is backed up now, has been for more than a year and getting the permanent residency is taking a lot longer than it used to.

I do hope that all turns out well for you with your Tica friend and that you guys have a wonderful experience together.

Feel free to ask whatever you want re motos... or anything else as far as that goes.

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member

Be Humble wrote:

Thanks.

Hola Humble,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Obtaining your moto license is easy with your FL endorsement.  A driver's license for a car and a moto are two separate licenses.  You do not have to take any tests.  Your girlfriend should be able to help you through the process of getting it.

I ride a moto here.  I started with a new UM 200cc bike and ride a BMW GS 650 Dakar now.  The UM is a combination Chinese/North Korea/Japanese bike.  I had it about two plus years and had no problems with it at all.  The cost new was just under $2,000.  A new Honda 250cc is about $5,000 if paying cash.  If you pay cash you will get a good discount - if you ask for it.  Always ask the cost with cash.  They took $900 off when I bought the UM with cash.

Most people here do ride the smaller motos.  I'm going to be selling mine just so that I can get a smaller one.  I plan to buy a Honda 250cc.  For just buzzing around town and to long trips, they're ideal for CR.  Plus I like exploring all the many, many backroads in the country and a 650 is just too big.

Moto brands here are the same as the States.  Honda, Yamaha, etc. will be more expensive and the others, mainly Chinese brands, you get what you pay for.  If you look on Craigslist Costa Rica and Ecuentra24 Costa Rica you will see what the used bikes sell for.  Motos, like cars, are more expensive here.  Mechanical work is 1/3 the price of what it is in the States unless you go to a dealership.  No reason to use a dealership.  Motos are extremely easy to work on, unless you're dumb enough to buy a BMW  :dumbom: , and moto mechanics are everywhere.  You just have to find the right one.

As to riding here, you have to ride with extreme caution, especially in the San Jose, Heredia, Escazu areas.  Many if not moto riders here ride like they can't be hurt and do not care about anyone else.  At the same time, cars do not cut you off or not see you anywhere near as often as happens in the States.  There are a lot more motos here so I think people in cars are more aware of their presence.  I always ride as I did int he States, assume no one can see me and use my loud horn every time that I ride.  (Loud horn is the first thing I replace on all my motos  :idontagree: )

As to working in CR, you can't.  Unless you have a company sponsor you, you will need to wait until you have permanent residency here to work legally.  That will take about 4 years.  The other option is if you are able to work in some capacity on-line.

Best of luck on your adventures here and feel free to ask whatever comes to mind.

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member