Making the final move what did you do ?

So Ive been thinking about moving to Thailand for nearly 2 years now moving over for say 2 years at least ( maybe forever who knows ? ) and last year decided to get the ball rolling and sell off most of my possessions .
I still own a property , vehicles and the basic household items still .

I was just wondering what others have done to make that final move ?

Did you Rent or sell your house if you owned ?
Did you sell most or all of your stuff or store some of it ? Incase you returned .
My thoughts are to rent my house out rather than sell it .
And thoughts were to store only a few main household  items for 1- 2 years that would $ cost too much to replace If I was to return ? Or do I just sell all the household items and store personal belongings for now ?

I'm about to come back for another visit next few weeks see how I feel .

Cheers Toohp

I came here 7 times before i decided to move here.Important to know you can live here ok. Sold my house and all possesions except for what i could put in 2 suitcases on the plane.
That Was 3 years ago and i dont regret it at all. Of course circumstances are different for all people.I had my wife here and a nice house to come to, but i didnt want the hassle of looking after a rented property back home.

My first trip here and inside the first 24 hours,  was ready to make the move here, IF the legal stuff about my Pension & Insurance was okay, It take me 4 days when i return to Denmark to find out every thing, And i was ready to move here !!

My family and friends want more time before i move, So i stay for 2 month and 10 days.

I sold some things, Let my family take what they want after that, And give the rest for free to Red Cross.

February 2011 i move here.
Best thing i every did, And have Zero regret about it.

I do think some people over think it, Plan to much, And sometimes talk they self out of it, But for me, Try it and see what happened, If good, Great, If not good i simple move on.
Don´t want to be like so many "old" timers in Denmark that have regret about what they Didn't do in their lives.

Kindly.

I have been to Thailand twice, on the last visit I finally met the woman I had been chatting to online.  I asked her some tricky question that I had already asked her in previous months. Her reply without having to think was the same. She never asked for anything and declined offers of things I wanted to buy for her. She has never requested money from me online. We chat every night and she says how much she loves and misses me. I believe she is the real deal, not a scammer as I told her I can only live on my pension money. My plan is to sell everything and move to the Chiang Mai area before Christmas.

I sold house and all possessions with the intention of never returning but I had the advantage of having lived in Thailand for three straight years and many vacations  during the 30 years before making the move.  After 15 years I am still here with no intention of leaving.

If your not sure about staying after 2 years and would like to moved back to the same house then rent out if you have someone you trust to manage rental.  But, if you want to live in a different location in your home country then sell house.

If you cannot store few possessions you want to keep at no expense then I would sell.

If not sure about making move then keep everything and come here for 3-6 month stay before making decision.

Barry343 wrote:

I have been to Thailand twice, on the last visit I finally met the woman I had been chatting to online.  I asked her some tricky question that I had already asked her in previous months. Her reply without having to think was the same. She never asked for anything and declined offers of things I wanted to buy for her. She has never requested money from me online. We chat every night and she says how much she loves and misses me. I believe she is the real deal, not a scammer as I told her I can only live on my pension money. My plan is to sell everything and move to the Chiang Mai area before Christmas.

Read and heard this same story so many times. Hope it works out for you, but be prepared if it doesn't...

Thanks for the Replies , yes agree I'm one to over think things .
I hope to return soon for another visit and hopefully make up my mind .
Yes Straydog good point about selling the house , Im pretty sure I wouldn't come back to this house as the main point of moving is because of the weather I can no longer do cold winters , Im just too much of an outside person and being cooped up inside a house because of the cold weather all day drives me mad .
I do realize about the heat in Thailand too .

Cheers

Well before making the ultimate commitment, I found that the next best way to simulate living over here was to do some long term home exchanges, after all it is so much closer to real life than living in a hotel and a hell of a lot of savings can be made especially if you can arrange 2/4 months on an exchange, but it requires careful planning.
Try different areas before making a decision?
Good luck.
John

Wrong advice to sell your house. For whatever reason, you might return to your home country and when you do you might have a price shock when you see the now price of the house you sold. Don't burn all your bridges behind you. Things can change and the country you once thought was paradise can turn into hell on earth. Be prepared.

Hi to all.
I read what Barry said that he believes the lady who he has met is not a scammer
There are many more honest ladies in Thailand who would be wonderful wifes for Farangs than there are scammers.
I met my GF by accident while i was looking for a teaching position in Thailand as I was bored in my home country.
By the way I went to the school had an interview with the Principal and  looked at the children I would have to teach and did not relish spending the rest of my life in prison.

I flew out met her and the family 5 brothers and sisters and all are professional people one a teacher one an Air Force Colonel one a business lady one an agricultural company employee etc
Among them there is absolutely no dishonesty and I should know  a bit as I had a 52 year career investigating fraud theft etc
They have accepted me as one of their own and never has a penny been asked from me. The parents also love me and I have a wonderful life after  four and a half years here
I flew back packed up and five weeks later I was in Thailand as a hopeful permanent resident.
I arrived with two suitcases with a few things in and bought the rest here as I gave everything I have to my children. I subsequently transferred my money here and invested it in Mutual funds through an investment house with a HO in Singapore and am receiving very good returns.
I have not regretted it except when I somedays miss the cold weather in SA but here I have aircon to "assist" me with the heat
I have kept my medical aid in SA and if I have a major problem I will fly home for treatment but have covered myself here for accidents,heart attacks and stroke which I do not have time to fly home for.
I have a nice house I live in about 150 km from Bkk and for which I have usufruct for 30 years when I will be 101.
Thereafter I can either renew it until I am 131 years or decide to let it be because at that age my GF will also be elderly far over a 100 years and we can look after each other.
My children have said that they do not want the house as it is on a farm about a km from the main village with 6 Rai available to use for agricultural purposes.
I beleive there are chances you have to take as nothing is 100 when it comes to relationships etc
Here in this village there are several very nice older ladies who would make good partners for more mature Farang men and in my travels I have seen this in a few towns in Thailand
These are my reasons why I will not return to live in my home country

strbl2 wrote:

Wrong advice to sell your house. For whatever reason, you might return to your home country and when you do you might have a price shock when you see the now price of the house you sold. Don't burn all your bridges behind you. Things can change and the country you once thought was paradise can turn into hell on earth. Be prepared.

Yes Ive thought about this being the case .
I met a retired Chap over In thailand when I was there last that had sold his  property in his home country and now can not buy back into the market as it had gone up a lot .

I will be in Chiang Mai all of August to make up my mind if I am going to move here. My lady has arranged for me to meet her family. I have listened to the advice given and like   

to thank all of you. If anyone who lives in Chiang Mai would like to meet up with me I will find time to do so.

I will be in Chiang Mai all of August to make up my mind if I am going to move here. My lady has arranged for me to meet her family. I have listened to the advice given and like   

to thank all of you. If anyone who lives in Chiang Mai would like to meet up with me I will find time to do so.

It is really nice to see some positive feedback .here .. I am doing the same , just came back to Australia to fix up visa and sell all my possessions , but have rented my house ..
my thoughts are that until I live in the country for a year or two I would want to hold that security until i was sure .
If the house is in a good realestate agent then it will take all the worry about renting .. but make sure you are fully insured .. here in Australia we have landlord insurance .. even covers you financially whennthe house is vacant .. something worth while looking at..
I'll be there in August aswell ..

Good luck

Just have too add my 2 cents which will probably end up as 50 cents.  I new I wanted to retire here if I made it to that age. Spent 28 months here as a soldier (67 - 70). I didn't know this at the time so it might help unless its changed in last 5 years I've been here. The things to bring here possessions, computer, even a car will be taxed and with a car it can get up there...   BUT if at time to bring your stuff into country you have a retirement visa then its duty free. Its a one time thing. and it takes about 3 (or is it 4?) months to get it. So find a shipper that will hold things till you tell them to ship it. takes about a month to get here from west coast of America..  there's  a guy on here " stray dog I believe hes has a  avatar of a dog with human eyes, that was a world of help for me...  In any case yea you can get into trouble here but having said that I'll also say its the safest country I have ever been in...  Id like to move back to Rayong area. ( I was stationed in Sattahib back when)  and the fishing was good then. this might help ya find a place
www.ddproperty.com/en
they have listings for fairly cheap to hide your wallet places.. 
Well  GL and
Later Gator...