Designing your home

Designing your home with through breezes is the way to go for not paying lots of electric bills with air conditioners. Our new friends pay 6,000 pesos a month and we pay 1.200 . when it gets hot we open the doors and windows for the breezes that come mostly from the North. One a/c can run to 1000 pesos per month. We have 2 tvs 2 fridges and 3 fans but not on all the time. Jack doesn't like the 2 teenagers lying on their beds with laptops and fans on full time, he says go outside under the shade but they won't. His a/cs are not on all the time but of course the teenagers use the fridges and have the fans on full time.  Think about modifying your home to allow the breezes through and cut your electric bill down.

Perhaps this posting is not part of cultural experiences but if you keep your home cool then the relationship will benefit?  This is a list of recommendations when designing your home in the Philippines. North facing:  Kitchen Lounge.  East facing:  bedrooms and bathrooms, (arise to the sunshine) (cool afternoons for naps) South facing: gardens open patios grow shade trees, dappled sunshine very pleasant. West facing: Laundry area, wash in the cool mornings then hang by noontime for drying. Louvre windows allow more air into the rooms for the same size ordinary slide type buy long ones ie cool air in the lower part and hot air out of the top.  I remember words about living on a boat in the UK specially when the winter draws in...keep her warm and cosy for happiness, but here it,s keep HIM cool for happiness.haha

Peter I like the way you explain how to keep happy with weather i take it, but not every way you can get cool brizes in after noon or night times, maybe where you are you can, you lucky but, my house is well thought of from the start, yes we do not get afternoon sun, as i have not even put any window on that side apart from stairwell windows which a small any way, I can run from sun, but can not really run from humidity.

Hello everyone,

Please note that these posts were off-topic on the original thread where they were posted. However, these tips are useful, so this new thread has been created from your posts on the Philippines forum.

All the best,
Bhavna