My Car in Mexico

Hi everyone,

I just joined the group, as I am preparing to move to Mexico in about 1-2 months, or as soon as I can get my business in USA tied up. 

I will be driving down, as I have a large dog.  I'm unclear whether I will be able to keep my car in Mexico.  I read that you can keep it temporarily for 180 days.  But beyond that, I can't find anything about permanently keeping it there.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks for your help!!

sjrobards wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just joined the group, as I am preparing to move to Mexico in about 1-2 months, or as soon as I can get my business in USA tied up. 

I will be driving down, as I have a large dog.  I'm unclear whether I will be able to keep my car in Mexico.  I read that you can keep it temporarily for 180 days.  But beyond that, I can't find anything about permanently keeping it there.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks for your help!!

Hi  SJ,

There are a number of previous post on the car issue in the forum history for you to read..
Generally, if you want to become a permanent resident you can not have a U.S. plated car. There are some ridiculously expensive ways for some cars to get around that I am told.

You can get a temporary import linked to your temporary visa which you would have to renew every 180 days when you cross the border to renew your temporary visa. I went back and forth like that for 2 years before becoming permanent. You pay ( in my case $300) to get a sticker for the car, and drive it in . When you drive out they give you the money back. You have to be very careful about time frames to get that money back .

Like many I decided having a U.S. car was not worth the trouble and now drive a Mexican plated car. The first thing I noticed when I did that is I pretty much dropped off of the policias radar. Before I was pretty much guaranteed to be pulled over and asked for my papers every time they saw me. I would advise against keeping that car for long.

There is a Residencia Temporal and a Residencia Permanente. The RT permits you to have a car while the RP does not. The RT is renewable every  year up to 4 years when it converts to a RP and you have to get rid of the car. Then there is the Tourist Permit (FMM) that is good for 180 days and issued only at ports of entry such as the border and on flights into Mexico. (You can not go to the airport for a new FMM). Both the RT and the RP applications must be started in the US at the nearest Mexican consulate. The RT and the RP both have income requirements.

Yes you must stop at the 21 km  Check point and pay you entry fee, if you do not the police are waiting to check vehicles further down the road to see if they are legal. If not you loose your vehicle. You do not need a broker to bring your in vehicle (be careful at the border some Mexicans make it look like they work with the government it is scam) go on the internet and find an import broker Arizona / Texas phone them up and ask what year of vehicles they are letting cross the border. 3 years ago I had a 2002 E350 van diesel no problems it is getting it registered. there are many people who will take bribe money to help you with your license and registration. Money goes along way.......

gaby/allan wrote:

Yes you must stop at the 21 km  Check point and pay you entry fee, if you do not the police are waiting to check vehicles further down the road to see if they are legal. If not you loose your vehicle. You do not need a broker to bring your in vehicle (be careful at the border some Mexicans make it look like they work with the government it is scam) go on the internet and find an import broker Arizona / Texas phone them up and ask what year of vehicles they are letting cross the border. 3 years ago I had a 2002 E350 van diesel no problems it is getting it registered. there are many people who will take bribe money to help you with your license and registration. Money goes along way.......

You can find out what the fee will be on line before coming down. You actually deal with payments in a part of the ADUANA office at the border. If you don't plan going beyond a border state like Sonora You will not be required to have a import permit for your car. Beyond those areas you will be required to have a permit."the Mexico Free Zone refers to all of the Mexican state of Baja and portions of Sonora. ... at which the Mexican Customs authorities have their first 'interior' check point. ... You do NOT need a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit for driving in any part of those areas." You are advised to have Mexican insurance. Your U.S auto insurance will not cover you in Mexico.

You do not need a broker, all of the paperwork can be managed at the border. They will let any vehicles across the border in the free zone. Here is the SAT web site http://www.sat.gob.mx/bienvenidoamexico … o_eng.html it's in English  and doesn't involve some "broker" in Texas or Arizona. It's pretty straight forward and should not involve bribes. As for police, I have never seen them waiting down the road to stop you. Of course if you don't have a Mx. plate any police will be much more likely to stop you. If you put the permit where it should be on your windshield where they they can see it, they will likely wave you on in a border town.

joaquinx
Yesterday 20:06:00 
"The RT is renewable every  year up to 4 years when it converts to a RP and you have to get rid of the car."

Actually a RT visa/card is for 1 year when you get a 6 month preapproval visa in your passport at a Mexican Consulate and have it processed at your local INM office. After that 1 year RT visa/card expires, up to 30 days before the expiration date,  you can renew the RT for 1, 2, or 3 years, not every year.