Non-EU TEFL Teachers

Hi everyone! Im a new member :) Ive been wanting to do a TEFL course and hopefully work in Spain thereafter. However ive seen a few articles on the internet about how hard it is getting a job there if you dont have an EU passport. Are there any SA passport holdingTEFL teachers on here? And what advice could you give me regarding the process? Thank guys!!

Hi Rodney,

I am an Non-EU EFL teacher, but, I'm here on a study Visa for my doctorate.  I have, however, seen American TEFL instructors at the police station applying for their NIE cards, so I know the companies are hiring outside of the EU.  They do have an EU preference, but if they don't have enough applicants, they will accept teachers from outside the EU. 

You may want to try searching on tefl.com at the positions in Spain and, if hired, you would receive a letter of employment, with which you can start the Visa application. 

Another alternative would be to take a position teaching EFL online (51Talk is always hiring) and then you can apply for a Self Employed Visa.  When you teach online, you are considered a contractor and, therefore you are self employed.

Marni

Hey Marni.

Thanks so much for that response. Seems like a lot of hassle in comparison to Asian countries where most people go for more money- and knowledge of the local language isnt a factor. Got a lot to think about.

You're welcome.  Best of luck to you.  Yes, it is much easier to land a position in Japan or China, since there is a huge demand for Native Speakers of English.  The schools often obtain your VISA and process the paperwork for you.  Teachers usually just need to show up, since accommodations are also typically provided.

One more thing. Im not sure if you're actually in the know how to answer this question. But is there a way of extending the holiday visa period? Or  do you have to just pack your bags and get home once its expired?

I can only speak as a Canadian, but I would assume it's the same for South Africans. You would want to check the website of the Spanish Embassy to be sure. With a Canadian Passport, you are allowed to be in Spain for 90 days maximum in each 180 terms (so a total of 6 months approximately per year, but half in each term).  If you need to stay longer, you would need a non-lucrative visa, but you must apply for that before you arrive in Spain...otherwise, you're here illegally.

Il go and have a look at that. Thanks for the info Marni :) il let you know if i need any advice on something in the future. All the best with your studies.