Healthcare

Hi everyone . I've lived in Philippines for 16 years.  I have to say I was quite surprised to find out t hat healthcare is never free here . You actually have to pay a deposit before being admitted even if its an emergency .  So not only you have to pay for any services , but you have to pay in advance and the prices are monstrous . Hospitals won't do anything unless you pay.  In short -- you have to afford to be avail necessary treatment or diagnostic procedure.  That means helthcare is a privilege not a right.  How could that have happened ? Are not taxes paid supposedly cover all possible health issues including subsidies of private hospitals ? Interestingly government hospitals are good only for dying as government spends only 0.9% of it's budget for healthcare ( info from Wikipedia) . Private hospitals don't even employ medical personnel except for technicians and nurses . Doctors rent spaces in hospitals . When you have a surgery you are billed as follows ; surgery room per hour , equipment used per hour , professional fee of doc , hospitalization per day plus all medical supply used down to needles and cotton buds and medications all priced several times higher than outside in the most expensive drug store Mercury drug ( another notorious criminal organization) .  They will also hold you ( at least they will try ) inside hospital in till you pay all your bills.  What a joke ! Healthcare is actually a business here and not a right of each individual regardless of financial status . In such conditions it is your right and duty to defraud insurance companies . So far I do so as much as I can letting others use my HMO card ( nobody asks for id if you noticed)   ...

Basically that same as Australia.  Can't speak directly for the USA, but from what I have heard it is a user pay system there too.  (I don't think these countries will hold you in hospital until you have paid the bill), but the will send out the collectors to get the money, and they will bill you for every thing from cotton buds and swipe up to the best surgery.  Philippines does have Phil Health (for citizens) but it does not go a long way.

In some ways it is more expected that users pay in third world countries such as the Philippines, as the funding for hospitals comes from tax payers, the Philippines does not have a lot of tax payers.  There is no magic to it some one has to pay.

It is a sad but real situation in third world countries were people cannot afford medical treatment, many Filipinos simply die at home, in the providence's they go to the witch doctors, yes there is still a strong belief of witch craft in the provisional areas.

Just a question for you, is it free in Russia?

It used to be completely free including dental care . I left Russia in 1994 and went around , but never returned.  From what I know most of healthcare is still free and private institutions charge 10 times less for some blood tests than here.  Dental implants are half the price comparing to Philippines.  Abortions are free and in case of complications they pay you.  Delivery is free and each family gets 8000 USD for each newly born.  Philippines has lots of tax payers including businesses , plus all immigration collections amounted to around 50 billion pesos a year , mayor's permits cost a lot , tall gate fees and the rest of collections . Interestingly government doesn't control the prices in hospitals and drug stores ( they could have done that much to limit the abuse ).

maxorlov1976 wrote:

It used to be completely free including dental care . I left Russia in 1994 and went around , but never returned.  From what I know most of healthcare is still free and private institutions charge 10 times less for some blood tests than here.  Dental implants are half the price comparing to Philippines.  Abortions are free and in case of complications they pay you.  Delivery is free and each family gets 8000 USD for each newly born.  Philippines has lots of tax payers including businesses , plus all immigration collections amounted to around 50 billion pesos a year , mayor's permits cost a lot , tall gate fees and the rest of collections . Interestingly government doesn't control the prices in hospitals and drug stores ( they could have done that much to limit the abuse ).

If it was free in Russia who paid for it, God.  Nothing is free expect human traits.

And it is only service to citizens of Russia.  Федеральный фонд обязательного медицинского страхования I hope that this is readable, my Russian is very bad.

If the taxes could pay for it in the Philippines (not saying that the tax systems is the best in the Philippines) and make it free, it would be better than Australia, America and Russia.  It would be considered one of the best in the world.

When someone gives you money to have a child, you know the government (big business) want to increase the population so that wages will stay low.  It creates a over supply of labour  (supply and demand)  Australia used to do it, then we just imported more overseas workers, this was cheaper and quicker for the business than giving money to newly borne children as the supply of labour is increased in an instant.

A hypothetical  situation : you had a stroke on the street and were delivered to a nearby private hospital . No papers were found on you re your identity or any insurance, no cell phone as it was stolen by someone right after you collapsed.  So you are unconscious in a private hospital alone with no insurance or I.d. There are 2 procedures available as a treatment of stroke : clipping and more recent -- coiling. Either one would require a neurosurgeon , cardiologist and anesthesiologist to be present during surgery. What do you think would be the course of action in Australia and in Philippines ?

Who paid for what exaclty ? For healthcare ?  By healthcare you mean salaries of doctors employed , cost of medical equipment ( minimal and single time payment ) and cost of medications that are inexpensive ? Lets see. To begin with all facilities belonged to government so the salaries were  dictated and paid by the government. Medical supplies are from government etc.  No professional fees for doc , only monthly salary comparable to a salary of a bus driver ( you become a doctor because you want to save lives , not because you want to earn big ) . Stay on hospital per day did not exist . Its not a hotel to be rented out . So the cost of surgery like appendix excision would total to around 10 dollars that time or so . Yes government pay a now as population is shrinking . Many prefer not to have kids . Population of Russia -- the largest country in the world is 146 million or so . USA ranking 4 th by size has 360 millions ? Phillippines --- are 300.000 sq km only population 110 million.  And every employed ( enslaved ) individual pays 32% tax.  Government could, but doesn't want to control private sector as most of politicians are businessmen themselves .

Never mind Russia . Let's take a tiny Mediterranean island of Cyprus.  Healthcare in public hospitals is great and free . Malta -- same thing . Those are the countries I know of .