Purchasing flight tickets for one month

Hi Dominican Expat Forum! Sorry I know this has been discussed on this forum before but I'm confused, can I stay for one month?
Will I be able to purchase a return flight ticket dated for one month?
and what if I decide to stay a little longer (which is very likely) while I'm looking around for vacation real estate properties, could I cancel that return ticket? and repurchase as needed?
I'm thinking if it's likely I'll be looking around for longer than a month, Should I just buy flight ticket dated for two weeks?  then cancel the return, and/or does it matter if my tickets are two weeks or one month either way?
P.S. My husband and I will have our cat with us and the max. amount of allowable luggage.

See, I'm confused :)
Thanks for any help and suggestions, appreciate it.

I guess what I'm getting at also is: Does it raise any eyebrows and ruffle any feathers, regarding my flight return dates and depart dates?  especially when we will be travelling with our cat and the max. amount of allowable luggage.

Get return tickets for the month. No one will care. You change the return portion if needed and if the airline allows.  Simple.

Hi Planner, Thank you. It's more than likely we'll be staying a bit longer, to search around, so I didn't want any problems. So basically doesn't matter what I book for depart and return dates, I'll just cancel the return date, and purchase one later. Does that work? based on your answer I assume, Yes!
Okay, I feel better :) Thanks again!

Yes just cancel you return and make it for...whenever.  Do make sure you have a ticket that you can change and usually the air lines will have a fee to change ($100 or more).  You will have to pay an exit fee/fine when   you leave if here more that 30 days.  For 30 - 90 days it will be $2500 pesos a person.

Bob K

Okay, thanks for the additional information, I appreciate that.
Enjoy your day!

Make sure to have the proper paperwork for your cat as well.