Close

Teaching in Kuwait

How do you do ?

I come from Bosnia and Herzegovina and I got offer from school in Kuwait to teach Physics since I am bachelor of applied physics.
The offered salary is 440 KD per month and I do not pay for accomodation,transport, light electricity or internet.
Would it be easy to save some money since my goal is to work for two-three years then come back to my home country since 1 KWD equals 6 BAM in my country ?

Also, does the population has any interests in taking private clases in physics or maybe in Bosnian language because allot of people from Kuwait are now moving here to Bosnia ?

Thanks for answers in advance.
Regards

Amra,

I think the salary is rather low for your experience and position. On the other hand, if you got no better options at the moment and you can live frugally, then yes, you will be able to put some money on the side.

Also keep in mind that private tuition is illegal in Kuwait, but a lot of people ares still doing it. I don't think there would be too much interest in physics. :)

Amira,
On face of it, KD 440 is not a great salary but in your case the situation is a bit different as you are getting a lot of stuff for free. Being a single person you may need 150-200 KD per month for grocery, shopping and other leisure activities - but it all depends on your spending habits 😊😊..... So you can easily save 200 KD a month, now you can do the math!!
Though the private tuition is technically illegal, it's quite common and go unnoticed if you don't use the public places such as coffee shops. Private tuition can fetch good money. When my family was with me, I used to give 10 kd per hour to a physics teacher, physics and math teachers are high in demand as these two are considered as difficult subjects, especially for high school students. On Bosnian language teaching potential, I m not sure.
Good luck

Hi

I will book first session in Bosnian language :) if you consider to teach it

Hi there

I'm heading to Kuwait as well in August to teach french but i was offered much more with accommodation and all the freebies you are getting. Honestly for a physics teacher it's very low. I'm coming from England and here physics, math and science teachers are gold.
Basic salary starts at £25000/year but very stressful.
Anyway i heard that it can be boring living there. Let's keep in touch if that's ok with you

Hi
Being blunt just as some nationalities are given preference when applying for visas then some nationalities are awarded less salary, though that possibly may be due to the individual school and its status within Kuwait. As a general rule of thumb the higher status the school the higher the starting salary..though with that , of course, comes higher expectations of the staff. You didn't say the name of the school but in a school that follows a British curriculum you are expected to teach rather than "instruct".
In British schools it is reasonable to expect a four figure starting salary per month. Before rejecting a low starting salary consider how your countries currency compares against the Dinar and also what if any tax you are expected to pay when you are working overseas. Also consider workload..it is easy to lose perspective if you have been teaching in Kuwait for an extended period ..but the level of marking , planning , paperwork and all round professional expectations are significantly lower than in most European countries.
Hope that helps

Thank you very much for your answers :)

learning how to reply :D

SanchezSanchez :

Hi
Being blunt just as some nationalities are given preference when applying for visas then some nationalities are awarded less salary, though that possibly may be due to the individual school and its status within Kuwait. As a general rule of thumb the higher status the school the higher the starting salary..though with that , of course, comes higher expectations of the staff. You didn't say the name of the school but in a school that follows a British curriculum you are expected to teach rather than "instruct".
In British schools it is reasonable to expect a four figure starting salary per month. Before rejecting a low starting salary consider how your countries currency compares against the Dinar and also what if any tax you are expected to pay when you are working overseas. Also consider workload..it is easy to lose perspective if you have been teaching in Kuwait for an extended period ..but the level of marking , planning , paperwork and all round professional expectations are significantly lower than in most European countries.
Hope that helps

First of all not sure that this is the right way to answer but do not hesitate to show the real way if I am wrong with this quoting :D

The school in wich I am going to work follows American curriculum and as I heard it gives the lowest salaries, but whenever I tried to apply for any other school in the application process I got rejected for nationality since they are asking for American, Canadian, British or EU citizen, and probably educated people from Bosnia are still not discovered.
Anyway thank you for your time and answer :)

snow-rain :

Amira,
On face of it, KD 440 is not a great salary but in your case the situation is a bit different as you are getting a lot of stuff for free. Being a single person you may need 150-200 KD per month for grocery, shopping and other leisure activities - but it all depends on your spending habits 😊😊..... So you can easily save 200 KD a month, now you can do the math!!
Though the private tuition is technically illegal, it's quite common and go unnoticed if you don't use the public places such as coffee shops. Private tuition can fetch good money. When my family was with me, I used to give 10 kd per hour to a physics teacher, physics and math teachers are high in demand as these two are considered as difficult subjects, especially for high school students. On Bosnian language teaching potential, I m not sure.
Good luck

Thank you very much for your time,

I was thinking the same thing, the salary is low but considering the fact that I am very young without experience and unemployed here in my country this seems little bit brighter.

Thank you again

Dr.LTE :

Hi

I will book first session in Bosnian language :) if you consider to teach it

Sure :)

Dasem129 :

Hi there

I'm heading to Kuwait as well in August to teach french but i was offered much more with accommodation and all the freebies you are getting. Honestly for a physics teacher it's very low. I'm coming from England and here physics, math and science teachers are gold.
Basic salary starts at £25000/year but very stressful.
Anyway i heard that it can be boring living there. Let's keep in touch if that's ok with you

Thank you for answering,

I understand and know how much these subjects should be valued, but I bealive that they are aware of bad job situation in my country and knew that this is tempting offer for young educated people from Bosnia, even though it is very low comparing to other schools, I tried to negotiate it but without result :D
Sure, we will be in touch

Another positive point is that you will be starting your career with an international exposure. American schools in kuwait are comparable at international level, many kids from these schools go to Europe and North America for higher studies.
I don't think you would regret your decision.
Kuwait is a bit dry place in terms of liesure activities, but it's still not too bad.
Good luck

Hi
Thank you for replying. I forgot to ask whether you hold a teaching qualification rather than just a degree in the subject. I cannot speak about American curriculum schools but I know that British curriculum schools insist on it....in fact the Kuwait government is tightening up the rules on expat teachers so for example someone might have taught in uk Business studies but because their teaching degree is in Marketing rather than Business studies then they would find it difficult to get the necessary approval.

With regards to other schools in Kuwait you need to know that you become a lot more attractive a proposition once you are working in Kuwait and have all the paperwork. Too many teachers never even make it into the country and those that do can struggle for whatever reason, failure to adapt culturally, inexperience, lack of management support. etc and often schools are left short staffed. Once you are here it costs you nothing in terms of money or emotion to email every British school or better paid American school your CV speculatively ..you never know what could come of it.

SanchezSanchez :

Hi
Thank you for replying. I forgot to ask whether you hold a teaching qualification rather than just a degree in the subject. I cannot speak about American curriculum schools but I know that British curriculum schools insist on it....in fact the Kuwait government is tightening up the rules on expat teachers so for example someone might have taught in uk Business studies but because their teaching degree is in Marketing rather than Business studies then they would find it difficult to get the necessary approval.

With regards to other schools in Kuwait you need to know that you become a lot more attractive a proposition once you are working in Kuwait and have all the paperwork. Too many teachers never even make it into the country and those that do can struggle for whatever reason, failure to adapt culturally, inexperience, lack of management support. etc and often schools are left short staffed. Once you are here it costs you nothing in terms of money or emotion to email every British school or better paid American school your CV speculatively ..you never know what could come of it.

No I do not have teaching certificate, since here I need to work in school for a year to gain it, I graduated in december and still do not have even a month of experience. I do not know am I able to gain it somewhere else beside my country but nevermind if I can¨t I plan to come back in short time.
I hope that there wont be problems since I graduated from applied physics not teaching in physics. Now you vorry me :D

I recommend you to accept this offer so that you can gain international teaching experience and after that you will find better offers in the future from others international schools.

My friends did the same thing. They were fresh graduate with no experience and in the beginning they work for less salary here but after 2 years they received better offers from others schools because of their experience.
Good luck!

Hi, there
just make a comparison between the amount u earn in yr country and the expected amount here in Kuwait. If the difference is big enough, come to Kuwait. By the way ,private lessons here in Kuwait are a lot, in particularly for physics, but not very easy for ladies due to the society customs.
Great regards.

If the school offers it I would take the teaching certificate, since your salary is low (1/3 of British schools) there is no harm in asking if they can offer it as part of your package. Try selling it to them as an advantage to the school, you're trained you're a better teacher. A few comments mentioned it already but once you're here and your contract expires (1-2 years I would imagine) Then you could always find a list of schools in Kuwait and apply, as once you're here it is much easier to get into different schools. Good luck!

gmannion :

If the school offers it I would take the teaching certificate, since your salary is low (1/3 of British schools) there is no harm in asking if they can offer it as part of your package. Try selling it to them as an advantage to the school, you're trained you're a better teacher. A few comments mentioned it already but once you're here and your contract expires (1-2 years I would imagine) Then you could always find a list of schools in Kuwait and apply, as once you're here it is much easier to get into different schools. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice,

I was not sure if I could gain it in different country, but if thats possible I would gladly ask them but when I get more informations. Do you know whats the procedure and how does it look and how much it costs ?
Here it is in form of exam, laws in education, they observe you while holding a class and before that you have to have one year of teaching experience with menthor.

I know about salaries in british schools but I am comforing myself that they would not accept me without any experience. :)

I know some schools offer it and some don't (UK system), there are various on the job schemes as it were but no idea about the American system sorry. Just thought it would be worth an ask if they could offer something. Good luck

Hi,

I think saving money in Kuwait is possiblle.

I think if your English is fluent, private classes would work but you should be smart enough to use the internet in order to advertising for that. Vile Glück :)

Expatriate health insurance in Kuwait

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Kuwait

Moving to Kuwait

Find tips from professionals about moving to Kuwait

Travel insurance in Kuwait

Enjoy stress-free travel to Kuwait