Moving to CPT

Hi

Any irish out there who made the move to CPT ? My girlfriend is from CPT and thinking of moving over. Is the work permit situation a really drawout process ?

Rgds

B

Welcome on board B,

I hope other members will contribute to your discussion soon ;) Else you can contact some Irish via: Irish expatriates in South Africa network page.

Regards

Hi

If your girlfriend is a South African, you can apply for a Life Partner Permit. The process is much easier than a "normal" work permit. I will send you a message with some details.

Hello JoachimS,

Can you share the details of the procedure on the forum. May be it can be useful for other members who is in the same situation!

Regards

Hi all

I work for an immigration firm, and as this is our core business I  cannot provide too much detail on this forum ;), but here is a general overview:

S11(6) of the Immigration Act provides for a Life Partner Permit, which will allow a foreign national to to reside with their South African partner.

You DO NOT need to get married to be allowed to apply for a Life Partner Permit, as each South African national has a constitutional right to have their (foreign) partner reside with them in South Africa.

If you have a job offer by the time you wish to submit the application, one can add a work endorsement to the permit, allowing you to work.

Instead of the work endorsement you may add a business endorsement to the Life Partner Permit, allowing you run your own business.

If you get married, you will need to apply for a Spousal Permit (instead of the Life Partner Permit). The only difference in the two permits is the marriage certificate.

Once you have been in a relationship for 5 years, or married for 5 years, you may apply for Permanent Residency. Please note that if you have been in a relationship for 4 years (for example)and then get married, the 5 years start from the beginning. Big flaw in Home Affairs' interpretation!

Haveing Permanent Residency will allow you to also apply for a South African ID.

Once you have had Permanent Residency for 5 years, you may apply for citizenship.

Please note that although a foreigner has a constitutional right, and even when you qualify for certain residency status', you will still need to apply at Home Affairs. Home Affairs will not simply "give" you anything.

Home Affairs will still verify that you are not an "undesirable person" in terms of the immigration act.

Hope this helps. But do let me know if there are any questions.

Joachim
[email protected]

That's very helpful of you JoachimS, I learnt something new today.

Excellent! :)