Your best business development ideas in Spain

Hi everyone,

As a foreign entrepreneur, launching a business in Spain is a fantastic project and an exciting challenge. Some ideas are likely to succeed. Some others are promising but may not work as well as intended.

In your opinion, what kind of business or industry is likely to succeed in Spain? What kind of industry or service currently unavailable or underdeveloped in the country would meet local needs?

On the other hand, what are the most common business types foreign entrepreneurs would be eager to launch in the country but with very little chance of success?

Thank you for your insights.
Priscilla

Spain is fairly well catered for in the big cities, like most countries, and in the coastal and rural areas they have developed businesses and systems that work for them. Their major failings, in my unfortunate experience, are in hospital treatment, health care in general and management.
The major problem appears to be an inability to learn. They have a hospital system, which in the Andalusia area can best be described as chaotic. No, or very little, planning is evident. It could be a long list of examples but let me give you two:
At Hospital Poniente there is an absolutely chaotic emergency clinic procedure where, to my certain knowledge, foreigners are put to the back of the queue but the general standard of  patient care, even for Spanish patients, is nothing short of disgraceful.
Appointments are booked for doctors who are knowingly not going to be there because they always have breakfast during this half hour. Consequently queues in tiny waiting areas become unacceptably large, tempers become frayed and as a result staff become more truculent. All avoidable with a bit of childishly simple planning.
They need good, intelligent managers who have the power to instigate change.

Diagnostic skills are poor. I suspect this is because the Spanish education system is designed for students to write down everything they are told and memorise it. There is no analysis, no thinking, even at this basic level. This infects the whole of Spanish society; doctors, plumbers, car mechanics, electricians and politicians.
This inability to plan and diagnose are clearly the root cause of the recent elections farce. It is also a major component in the genetic corruption, lying and stealing that is so endemic in this beautiful country. Unfortunately this holy trilogy will not be replaced any century soon. Genetic patterns take time to change and there is currently no evident will to change. People waving placards don't instigate changes. Those in the driving seat do and they don't want change because it is they who are robbing the kitty blind!
So what do they need? Qualified, experienced doctors from other European countries who can teach and hospital managers who know how to manage.

In the real estate industry there are vast opportunities, especially since it is not terribly regulated except for the one law that makes it unnecessarily hard on owners to get renters out. That laws is being improved though and the courts around it as well.
However the real estate industry needs true professionalism, so a realty service for sellers, buyers, renters and landlords that is a 180 degree difference.
There is also still no decent professional national property listing site.
Another opportunity is in getting the numerous nearly abandoned empty properties filled. The inventory is huge but owners have no clue what to do. A special service that caters to them only is needed. There is nothing now. In other countries 'caretaker type of pseudo rental contracts' for such properties are popular. It is a new degree of freedom for both landlords and renters. It is likely that current laws may already fit the bill. All such a landlord needs is de facto someone paying utility bills and living in such houses. Otherwise the houses die and his value is gone. Of course it usually means that those living there keep up the property to a certain degree except for major issues.

paperD, are you now  living in spain? What parts of spain would be most "amicable" to starting a business like this . The reason i ask is that i would like to move to spain but it will not be for 6 months at least. I am trying to figure out if its possible to have locations in spain as well as the US (where we presently live ). just thinking out loud  thanks Bruce

What kind of business are you looking to start bklynboy?

My back round has been wall street. My father was a building contractor combine those two and property management,sales might be the right fit. do you live in spain Now? are there a vast number of vacant bank owned properties? in your opinion are they being properly managed and or marketed . i am open to any and all ideas .Got any that might require a person in the US to kickstart something?