Close

Wheel chair transportation vehical

My understanding is that transport for people in wheel chairs is difficult or impossible to find in HCM. Note, I am not talking about regular wheel chairs where the patient is placed in a car seat and the wheel chair is folded up and put in the trunk. I am talking about a vehicle that carries the patient in their specialized wheel chair while loading the patient while sitting in the wheel chair.

My expectation is that I will have to buy a van and modify it to do this. If this is in fact true, would this be registered as a patient transport, ambulance, truck or automobile? I'm thinking of buying a Suzuki Van/truck.

Note, either a streatcher or a normal wheel chair is very painful for my wife. The only  reasonably comfortable way for her to go to the hospital is if I push her in her special wheel chair. That is why we live a 7 minute wheel chair push from the hospital. Her wheel chair is a more or less simplified and miniture hospital bed on wheels that is sbstantually reduced in size and weight from a regular hospital bed. It was made in Japan where these sort of "comfort" issues involved are more common. Also, due to the size and shape of the wheel chair, I don't know if a regular wheel chair van with lift would work. I would plan on using a rear door ramp and floor anchors.

Also note, my VN/ASEAN DL is Class A1,B1 and for non comercial driving I am legal to 9 passengers or a 3500kg truck.

Thank you

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ho Chi Minh City

Flights to Ho Chi Minh City

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ho Chi Minh City