Are you happy in the Philippines?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in the Philippines? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in the Philippines happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Hey:
         I do live in negros island in the Philippines but now working in India....i do stay in Thailand a lot ..its better as far as medical , food ,and housing.....Joe

My wife and I have found that happiness is for the most part a state of mind, a choice. We chose to be happy while living in the United States though the long winter season was not to our liking particularly as we got older, we both disliked shoveling snow and the dirty slush and slippery roads.  Could we tolerate it? Of course we could.

The Philippines offered both us the opportunity to grow old together in her home country in a place where we have built a home after four years of researching the area we chose to live in. A little research does help, though surprises in life no matter where you are are inevitable and just part of living.

Yes we are happy here and have found that in general most of our neighbors are also seemingly happy and most are also friendly and I for one do not believe any one country can corner the market on happiness, who decides and what are the criteria?

I have found that some of the poorest families here are also the happiest and it is found in simple things like a family dinner, kids, grand kids and an occasional family outing to a restaurant, a local beach, park or pool with lots of laughter, food and fun.  A well to do family may also find happiness in the same manner, though the surroundings and events are in a more opulent setting. Misery or happiness does not necessarily equate being rich or poor and that is not to say that financial security is not helpful, it is, but has little to do with happiness.

It seems that sometimes people think that if they move to another place they will be happier, they forget that wherever you go you take yourself with you. 

My wife and I are happy here, with a simple life, our family and a few friends we have made. We are content with what we have and count our blessings daily. 

If you see the glass as half full, get a smaller glass.

TeeJay

TJ-sent you a message

RodBoud wrote:

TJ-sent you a message

Got it. Sent a reply.

TeeJay4103 wrote:

My wife and I have found that happiness is for the most part a state of mind, a choice. We chose to be happy while living in the United States though the long winter season was not to our liking particularly as we got older, we both disliked shoveling snow and the dirty slush and slippery roads.  Could we tolerate it? Of course we could.

The Philippines offered both us the opportunity to grow old together in her home country in a place where we have built a home after four years of researching the area we chose to live in. A little research does help, though surprises in life no matter where you are are inevitable and just part of living.

Yes we are happy here and have found that in general most of our neighbors are also seemingly happy and most are also friendly and I for one do not believe any one country can corner the market on happiness, who decides and what are the criteria?

I have found that some of the poorest families here are also the happiest and it is found in simple things like a family dinner, kids, grand kids and an occasional family outing to a restaurant, a local beach, park or pool with lots of laughter, food and fun.  A well to do family may also find happiness in the same manner, though the surroundings and events are in a more opulent setting. Misery or happiness does not necessarily equate being rich or poor and that is not to say that financial security is not helpful, it is, but has little to do with happiness.

It seems that sometimes people think that if they move to another place they will be happier, they forget that wherever you go you take yourself with you. 

My wife and I are happy here, with a simple life, our family and a few friends we have made. We are content with what we have and count our blessings daily. 

If you see the glass as half full, get a smaller glass.

TeeJay

Amazing beautiful words or wisdom Teejay.  Well said.

i believe most people tend to be happy in their own countries due to their roots. the ones not happy are ambitious and find hurdles in their homeland and go for greener pastures to retire or work or find love or whatever.
i am here with my  GF who gives me happiness. but i feel bored here sometimes because of lack of social life. its not easy to mix with the locals if u are a foreigner as many of the locals have different life style i guess. but on the whole its a nice and satisfying country.

Yes, it feel happy in the Ohillipines for about two months then I have to travel outside the country.  This is about how long I can stand.  Allow me to explain.  When I deal withe the expel they are the kindest people in the world.  Although their up bringing or culture for the most part imposes some serious conflicts with me.  When they share they will do some thing for you on a certain day and time, they don't.  Then when you ask them to explain why they gave their word and ignored it, they then make an excuse.  Okay, I have learned not to expect anything they say to be from their heart.  Then, there is no rules to follow on the road.  Don't even try to use Western rules of the road in the Philippines.  While I can navigate the roads, the experience does wear on you.  Go have your nails done and expect peace and quiet!  No way in hell.  The air con store is a meeting ground for venders, baby sitting service for the women who have kids to young to go to school, and constant ringing of cell phones.  Go into a department store and ask the employee a question.  They will turn and ask another employee, and they I turn ask some one else.  The employes there just "exist" as I commonly say.  God for bid if they look around and see what products are for sale in the store.  What else?  Ask the workers to take the sacks of sand up to the third floor when they come to work at 0800, 1015 after break, then at 1300, and again at 1515.  They walk right by it all walk up to the third floor then return two min later to get the sacks.  And never bring anything with them.  Ya I'm really happy in the Philippines.  Great people, 99 percent just exist.  But who am I to say this is a bad life.  Just look at them they look so young and us Westeners look our age.

Personally, I am much happier with my life now in the Philippines after many trips back and forth back to the states these past 3 years. The cost of living here is probably 25% of what it would cost me living near Los  Angeles. I enjoy a more active social life here. It's  necessary for any foreigner to be financially secure before making a home here, ie, pension, savings account. Do i think the average Filipino is happy? I guess they have no choice but to be happy on the outside. But if you look into the heart of the average family, the ones making only 3.18 pesos per day i see a lot of stress and pressure to make ends meet and provide for elder members of the family. The OFW gone from the family in another country  trying to provide a better life for there family.   In the past month i have put off my plans to buy any  big ticket items here like a condo and even a car.  I closed all but 1 of my bank accounts. I am concerned about the anti American rhetoric of  President Duterte . I am planning a trip to Thailand in January 2017 to see how life is for the average foreigner living  there.  Other than that, lovely country, resilient , helpful ,friendly people these Filipinos.

You share they make 3.18 pesos a day?  Are you sure?

So true about dealing with the people.  Not much of a social life unless you want to sit around drinking in the evening.  So I travel.

Hello tn101112, Glad you spotted that. I stand corrected. Its 318.00 per day for the average mall worker, construction worker or general laborer here in Mindanao. Still cant figure how one survives on that.

The Philippines is  changing for the better....for the people....not expats...! Under our new president the country will find it"s way. Mr. Rody  knows who he is...it might 12-18 months for the USA and CHiNA to realize it....Problem with the PI is there are no jobs Imagine if 10% of people get jobs our growth rate go"s from 7% to 9%....it is simple...people here want job"s  The average wage in this country has not changed in 20 years...still $135/month  i need to stop the sex tourist that prey on our young girl;s

Wow that's a deep question. Been content with what one has in life helps and never having been rich but had some big past incomes and lows in life such as loosing everything before sorting out some sort of normality after the Forces career we that is myself and my Filipina wife are living on a good pension seem content as we both like warm weather and sunshine which eludes Europe for most of the year. Took a bit of a hit with Brexit and the sterling devaluing. You need money to pay bills.
Anyone reading this your Budget is important wherever you go and you will be miserable if your skint.
I landed and the Philippines instead of Thailand and feel it was probably a better bet. We feel safer with the new president and as the Philippines slowly regains its sovereignty things will be safer as a balance is achieved.
My wife was mugged once at Manila airport and we have suffered from local crime.
The locals we have had contact with over the past seven years having moved around a bit seem to except their lot most are not happy at all with their lot. Alcoholism Drug addiction and domestic abuse at present has gone unchecked for years and the root cause is poverty vulnerability a big social problem. I'm not sure on the population size its running around 100 million and 10 million are OFWS ten times more than a couple of decades ago so monies coming into the country. Overseas aid never seems to reach the end user and its been billions over the years and Filipinos are really sad about that fact.
The biggest sadness Filipinos speak off is corruption maybe that will change now probably a new more vibrant balanced Philippines will emerge in a couple of decades.
Investors are just waiting to develop Sulu so more money will be in the coffers and the like once the terrorist problem long overlooked is dealt with. Happiness is  a by-product of feeling safe first of all a life need so picked a place away from kidnap threats to stop been unhappy and looking over ones shoulder all the time.
So you have Philippines Thailand Vietnam Cambodia Indonesia probably all a safe Budget bet for to stretch your pension its normally which girl you land on first you stay and that's another story working through the age gap and cultural differences may take a few years to find a balance of acceptance which brings us back to Happiness the deep question that's personal to you.
I am compulsive by nature and to be honest had my bags packed in my mind many a time but it passes and time helps one settle.
In the present World there probably isn't a better place then the Philippines to find some happiness without real worry.

Let's face it P I  is a 3rd world country.  once you make up

your mind to overlook the things we call non sense it can be ok

If you do not have a GF or a good expat job  the picture for most would change

On a scale of  1 to 10

GF  10

PI      6

The amount being looked at is 750 minimum wage how do you get resorts both large and small to pay workers that when they can get away with 250 a day and have their workers over a barrel basically slave labour and supermarkets charging western prices for goods then paying peanut wages to staff no wonder Filipinos feel cheated. No social justice it seems.

Its worse for women when they hit 40 ish finding work other than cleaning nails as young girls get the few positions available. I've accepted paying to help my mother in law with rent and making sure basic provisions such as  a sack of rice are available monthly. Having thought it through its not creating dependency its assisting with a need yes Mindanao seems quite poorly resourced. Some would be dancing at the thought of 300 a day. Maybe we are spoilt in the west or has social welfare fallen by the wayside here in the Philippines. I here so many stories of people dying because they cannot afford medical care. Our Lolo got his first pair of glasses at 65.

All of the above comments are quite true or near to the fact. Most Filipinos that I have met and experienced are comfortable...happy, I am not so sure. Poverty is a big issue. Jobs are scarce and the people are waiting for some family member abroad to send money. Age discrimination is prevalent (30yrs. old, unless one has a college degree). Corruption is rampant and people are still on the take, even though Duterte is attempting to change the overall environment.

Young people here are clueless about the world and their country because basic education barely exists. I have school-age children and I am always trying to supplement their education and telling them to read, become thinkers and analyze situations, instead of becoming doers, 'social media-holics' and gamers.

There are some young people that have some knowledge and strive to improve themselves, if possible. But for the most part, it's all about having fun and enjoying time with their barkada. For those families with children that do well, at least one of the parents also do well in their occupation. Women have most of the jobs (just observe).

Another factor that plays into hiring, is the complexion of one's skin. If one observes the commercials, billboards, advertisements, etc., a clear pattern of white or light complexion is desirable and preferable (again just observe). That in itself makes it difficult to be hired.

As for me, I am content, wherever I may lay my head. I do make the best of all situations that I have encountered around the world. Happiness is a state-of-mind. I tend to bring about the happiness for my family and myself, but my children have been with me in my home country, United States of America, and they cannot wait until we leave the Philippines and return.

My children were born here in the Philippines and they appreciate and love their family and friends. However, they love the cleanliness of the U.S.; the organized structure of the communities, parks, playgrounds, etc.; going to restaurants and the items are varied, fresh and in-stock; the streets are wide; there is no chaos in traffic and people follow the rules of the road (my son's first observation at 10-yrs old); and most of all they were able to experience from various walks of life people, struggling/comfortable/professional/non-professional/old/young/energetic/dark-light complexion/lazy/industrious/compulsive...the list goes on and on, but almost all of these people had/have jobs or were looking for employment.

There are varying opportunities for them in the United States. They were able to experience arts, theater, music (live), amusement parks, state and national monuments, riding bikes on a bike trail, etc. These things are available in the Philippines, but mostly in Manila and at a premium, IF available.

As I grow older, it takes less to make me happy. But knowing that my children can begin to experience the things that I have seen in life, makes me ecstatic, and the U.S. is a starting ground. My desire is that they all retire at thirty years of age and travel the world. I was able to do so before I reached 40-yrs old, due to my military service, money I saved along the way, and accidents, which reduced my physical capabilities. My father retired at 55-yrs. old, due to his hard work and savings. He worked occasionally to keep his self busy until he was overcome by cancer. My mother died (retired) at a young age, 33, due to her laborious work of family, occupation, and community involvement (doctor said her heart gave out).

I have lived in the Philippines for 13-yrs and I will stay another 2-yrs before I return to my home country (need to re-establish my U.S. residency and credit, which has started). I have had good and bad times here in the Philippines. I met some wonderful ex-pats and some Filipinos along the way, but I know I will be happier in the U.S.

My Wife and I retired two years ago, and are at the moment sharing our time between the Philippines, and Germany. 7-8 Months Philippines. 4-5 Summer Months Germany. We are enjoying every moment of our lives.
One reason for this is the vast difference in lifestyles.
In Germany we live near a large Cosmopolitan City. With all the advantages of modern life. Cinemas Theateres, Opera, Modern Transport System, Shopping centeres, and, and, and.
In the Philippines we live in a small Visayan Town. No Cinema, Theater. The nearest Mall is a 100km drive away. Wer buy our food in the local Market. Grow some of it, in our large Garden. We keep Poultry, and have Six Dogs.
The cost of living here allows us to save enough Money from our Pensions to afford the Air Fare, to travel every Year. Although at some time we will become too old to do this. So we are making the best of it while we can.

The happiest people in the World come from Switzerland, Iceland, and  Danemark???
Countries with Very high cost of livings, and long, cold, dark Winters???
Give me the warm, cheap Philippines any time. Despite all it's problems.

Im from Serbia,and ill be much more happy on Philippines,cause there i have women of my life.I just wanna leave this sh.... Europe,and live peacefully with my love.

Its OK. Mostly it is affordable and easy to live here. There is no place perfect but Philippines allows you to concentrate on the person you want to be with. I am in a rural area and cannot find certain items to purchase which is sometimes a bummer. If you drive in the Philippines the traffic leaves a lot to be desired. People wise, it is great. I think there are many more positives than negatives here.

Amen TJ great answer and so true we make our own happiness

Thank you, Scott!  :top:

Yes. Happy and hot. ;)

Yes, it feel happy in the Philippines for about two months after I arrive here,  then, I have to leave the country.  Two months is about how long I can stand it here.  Allow me to explain.  When I deal withe the locals they are the kindest people in the world.  Although their up bringing or culture for the most part imposes some serious conflicts with me.  When they share they will do some thing for you on a certain day and time, they don't.  When you ask them to explain why they gave their word and ignored it, they then make an excuse.  Okay, I have learned not to expect anything they say to be from their heart.  Next, while there are rules for the road, I don't have to share they don't follow them.   Don't even try to use Western rules on the road in the Philippines. It just might cause an accident.   While I can navigate the roads, the experience does wear and tear on you.  Go have your nails done and expect peace and quiet!  No way in hell.  The air con store is a meeting ground for venders, baby sitting service for the women who have kids to young to go to school, and constant ringing of cell phones.  Go into a department store and ask the employee a question.  They will turn and ask another employee, and they In turn ask some one else.  The employees there just "exist" as I commonly say.  God for bid if they look around and see what products are for sale in the store and learn where they are on the shelf.   What else?  Ask the workers to take the sacks of sand up to the third floor when they come to work at 0800, 1015 after break, then at 1300 after lunch, and again at 1515 after break.  They walk right by it all walk up to the third floor then return two min later to get the sacks.  Only to return to the third floor.   Ya I'm really happy in the Philippines.  Great people, 99 percent just exist.  But who am I to say this is a bad life.  Just look at them they look so young and us Westerners look our age.  In the end, do I like it in the ya, only for two months that I'm here.

As far as I'm concerned, I can't say much about the Philippines. I've never stayed in this country for long, though I'm married with a Filipina. I just begin now to live there, but I like this country and Philippine people.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in the Philippines? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in the Philippines happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

It is always a trade off...

Some things are very good here and you need to appreciate those.

Having a good partner makes it better and worthwhile.   If not
it is probably not worth it.

You are giving up a lot being away from closest friends and family

The answer is: Yes, I am happy at the Philippines, even I can still not live there. Since I met my Angel there I've bin there for many vacations, last time 6 weeks to marry that sweet woman. I count the days until my retirement payment is hight enough to live there, but right now we have to live in the stupid cold German country for a while what i'm pisst of every day more...
Every time when I leave the plane in Cebu and take the first breath of that humid and warm air and the lots of different smellings, I feel so much at home that I don't want do leave that place anymore.....I will buy a long measuring tape what where I will cut 1cm each day until the big goal..
But this tape has to be very long...😩

I am Gustavo Woltmann, I am happy here in the Philippines. I have relatives that are staying in Panama but I would like them to visit here even once per year. I'm staying here in Pasig. I can say that it's very affordable to live here. In my place all the people are very kind and very easy to get along with. I have no problems with my neighbors and they are all awesome. I can really say that I found my happiness here.
__
“Publishers are notoriously slothful about numbers, unless they're attached to dollar signs - unlike journalists, quarterbacks, and felony criminal defendants who tend to be keenly aware of numbers at all times.”
Hunter S. Thompson

Welcome to Pasig! I am glad to know that you are enjoying your stay in Manila. Cheers!