Close

Insight about living in Romania

Hi there! My husband is originally from Romania and we currently are living in the U.S. We have a 1 & 2 year old and were considering moving to Timisoara Romania as all of our family and friends are there. I was wondering how the schools are and what quality of life our children would have as opposed to the U.S. It seems as if there is no culture here in the U.S and many other issues arising that I cannot wrap my head around. I know in Romania we will not have the abundance of "things" we have in the U.S but I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit more insight about living in Romania?
Thank you!

Kiley Rotari

Hi Kiley,

Welcome on board  :)

This new thread has been created from your post on the Timisoara forum so that you may get some information from members.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hello Kiley,

Whilst I can't give you information specifically about Timisoara, I could maybe start the ball rolling with a few generalities about life in Romania.

Firstly, there are plenty of 'things' in Romania. I think you'll be a little surprised - lots of people are asset-rich, owning houses and cars and businesses. Many parents buy apartments for their kids when they (the kids) are quite young and this frees up a lot of disposable income. Middle class city dwellers take lots of holidays, own cars at quite a high rate (for example, car ownership in Bucharest per capita is about double that of London), go out in town quite frequently, and so on. For city life, it might not be awfully different to what you are used to in the US, aside from obvious things like language and so on.

Life in the countryside is quite a contrast, however, with most village inhabitants operating smallholdings and working their land quite hard throughout the year. They often supplement their meagre income by selling produce. The upside of this is that, if you know the right places/people, you can get some good quality ingredients. Whilst the supermarkets sell all the usual mass-produced stuff you can find in any country, there are still farmers' markets (not the fancy upmarket ones of the west, but genuine ones) where you can get better quality, in-season fruit and veg, as well as cheese (you should be aware that unpasteurized varieties are common here) and meat.

Most major cities have quite a lot of events going on, mostly of them reasonably priced.  Timisoara has an opera, a philharmonic orchestra, theatre, and plenty of festivals and events throughout the year. Internet in the cities is usually pretty good and Romania is known as having one of the fastest internet speeds in Europe, and as far as I know the government doesn't censor access to any sites.

The things which you might struggle with are customer service, which from what I've understood is extremely different to the US, driving standards (or rather the lack of them), and bureaucracy (which can be heavy-handed and complicated to navigate when you don't know the language/system). Education standards are varied; I don't know anything about Timisoara, but in Bucharest you have some good high schools, and some extremely poor ones. As your kids are young, this shouldn't be an immediate issue. Nursery schools (kindergartens) are commonplace though, and there are some private ones with decent standards and also with a focus on English speaking, which might be advantageous if you intend to raise your kids in a bilingual environment.

Anyway, hope that'll get you started in your research, I'm sure other members will post more Timisoara-relevant information.

Expatriate health insurance in Timisoara

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Timisoara

Moving to Timisoara

Find tips from professionals about moving to Timisoara

Travel insurance in Timisoara

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Timisoara

Flights to Timisoara

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Timisoara