Does litigation history discourage potential employers?

Hello,

I'm currently in the US and plan on moving back to Europe. I'm not an attorney/lawyer, but I filed two related lawsuits in the US, one of them against my former employer.

I've read that American employers are scared away if they know a candidate has taken matters to court. By the way, evidence in court attests I'm really good in my field. Can anyone comment on how EU employers react upon such profile?

Thank you.

How would any potential employer even know about this action, unless you told them?  Usually potential employers are interested in criminal background history and possibly credit history

Romaniac

I will have to tell employers when they ask me about the gap in my resume and for references.

pragmatist wrote:

I will have to tell employers when they ask me about the gap in my resume and for references.

Well, if you get along in the process and believe that the employer is going to hire you, then backs out because they learn of your litigation, that is typically illegal on their part.  If a reference dings you over asserting your rights, that is defamation.  It's usually not a good idea to list a reference if you think they'll say something negative, though pursuing your legal rights is not a negative thing.  I think you need to find a way that if absolutely needed, explains that you're not litigious and at the same time not defame your previous employer.

Turn the question around (maybe not in the interview ;) ) Does litigation history of an employer discourage applicants or business partners? :)  Food for thought.

Romaniac