Address change and student visa extension in another state/university

I'm a Finnish who arrived in Rio de Janeiro on January to do a exchange semester in private university. Then I decided to apply for another six months to USP in São Paulo and luckily got accepted.

I moved to São Paulo two weeks ago and thought I could do my visa extension application here but here what has happened so far..

Yesterday I went to the Federal Police here in São Paulo to do my student visa extension and they said I have to go to Rio de Janeiro and quickly since my visa will expire in 23 of August and I should do that application a month before.

So I took a night bus to Rio and there Federal Police told me today that I have to do the extension in São Paulo?? They said (if I understood right) that I have to change my address first and then apply for visa extension, which now make some sort of sense. But I don't understand why they didn't tell me that here in São Paulo.

I do not speak Portuguese very well so now I would like to verify from you did I understand right?

So all in all, now I need to change the address first before Federal Police of São Paulo can handle my visa extension application, that is how the system works? I'm so tired that I don't trust to my understanding anymore.

I found some instructions here how to do the change of address but because I do not have so much time I would like to be sure with this. I received a paper from Policia Federal in Rio which says how I do this "mudanca de endereco", but it says only:

-Requerimento 154
-1 foto 3x4
-Comprovante de residência: Água, luz, telefone fixo ou gás
-Cópia da CIE ou do protocolo

Obs. Se o comprovante de residência estiver em nome de outra pessoa, declaracao do mesmo com firma reconhecida por autenticidade e copia do RG.

Mapa do site para Agendamento:

(I share everything in case someone else is wondering what they want in Rio de Janeiro)

I was looking for a form or instructions of that "requerimento 154" from policia federal website but didn't find anything. I started to wonder is it the same document I filled out when I applied for the visa extension ( ) ?? So I can use the same filled paper to change my address I was about to use when I went to extend my visa yesterday? Or what is it?

I live in apartment with the original house owner so I pay only the rent for him, so does that "obs. Se o comprovante..." mean same as Declaração de Residência? So I can print this kind of form … a-51585804 and fill it with the house owner and finally authorize it? That's it?

This address change is now my first concern, if someone could help me with this I could then continue to the student visa extension problem.

Questions and answers about visas

Ask your question
brazilian wife and pakistani groom
By meanpower
Interview for brazil viper permanent visa
By mukhtar-pk

Expatriate health insurance in Brazil

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Brazil

Moving to Brazil

Find tips from professionals about moving to Brazil

Travel insurance in Brazil

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Brazil