Close

A couple of questions about the life in Oslo

Hello!

I've received a job offer a couple of weeks ago and am moving to Oslo. While I visited there 8 years ago, and here I read a few topics, I really need updated answers to my questions. Can anyone help?

Here we go:

1) If I will be paid, say, 24500 kr a month after taxes, and if I rent a place that is 14000 kr; is 10500 enough for a family of two, bills, grocery and transportation included? What is the maximum amount of rent should I be looking at? (I really have no idea)

2) What system is used for heating? Is it usually included in the rent?

3) What could be the average electricity bill a month?

4) Is there usually a pet restriction for apartments?

5) If we have to live far away from the office to lower the rent, will the cost of transportation bother us more than the extra rent?

I hope someone will see this =)

Thanks!

1) If I will be paid, say, 24500 kr a month after taxes, and if I rent a place that is 14000 kr; is 10500 enough for a family of two, bills, grocery and transportation included? What is the maximum amount of rent should I be looking at? (I really have no idea)

---> It depends on where you want to live and how big you want to live in.  At the moment, you can probably rent a one studio or one bedroom apartment (60 sq m?) in the city with 14000 kr.

2) What system is used for heating? Is it usually included in the rent? 

--- > depends on the building.  Usually it is electric.  It can be heating wire underneath the floors or just using mobile heaters (gas or just microwave).  Some old buildings might not have heating in the bathroom floor.

3) What could be the average electricity bill a month? 

---- > For us, a family of two, we only spent 700kr average each month on electricity.  But we hardly turn on the heater because our apartment is well insulated from cold and we use energy efficient applicances.

4) Is there usually a pet restriction for apartments?

---> depends on the rules for each building and the agreement with landlord.

5) If we have to live far away from the office to lower the rent, will the cost of transportation bother us more than the extra rent? 

---->  Where do you plan to live?  If you live within zone 1, the monthly ruter ticket is approx 700kr....outside zone 1 but within zone 2, I think it is 1300kr.

2) I've lived in two apartments in Norway and one was electric that the tenant paid, while the one I live in now is hot water heat that's included in the rent. It's an older building in Oslo.
3) my bill now is about 150-250 a month for a small apartment. That's for lights etc, and an electric stove (no heat costs other than bathroom floor heating).
4) my apartment doesn't allow any pets but some will.
5) that depends a bit on your habits and needs. I live close enough to work that I can walk/bike with the occasional tram ticket on days with bad weather so I save a LOT on transportation. It's also a question of whether you're willing to "spend" your time on transport to save on housing costs or get a larger apartment.

Hi! So happy that you guys saw my topic and replied, thanks. =)

After spending some time browsing finn.no I have realized that there are various options which might or might not include electricity or heating. I want to live near Tjuvholmen (or at least in a 20-30 minutes walking distance). What I still couldn't figure out is: what's the percentage that will go to the state as the income tax (gross-net salary transformation), and if 10000 kr a month is enough for groceries and standard needs minus rent (nothing luxurious). Any ideas? =)

I actually tried to message some advertisers on finn.no but nobody replied (actually one of those did but then i received a message saying it was a fraud attempt) so maybe i should find myself an expat agency for relocation. =|

Thank you so much for your help! <3

Speira :

Hi! So happy that you guys saw my topic and replied, thanks. =)

After spending some time browsing finn.no I have realized that there are various options which might or might not include electricity or heating. I want to live near Tjuvholmen (or at least in a 20-30 minutes walking distance). What I still couldn't figure out is: what's the percentage that will go to the state as the income tax (gross-net salary transformation), and if 10000 kr a month is enough for groceries and standard needs minus rent (nothing luxurious). Any ideas? =)

I actually tried to message some advertisers on finn.no but nobody replied (actually one of those did but then i received a message saying it was a fraud attempt) so maybe i should find myself an expat agency for relocation. =|

Thank you so much for your help! <3

Vegetables are cheaper than meat...if you are a vegetarian, your grocery costs will probably be cheaper.

We tried to shop in Sweden and when we were doing that, we were able to keep grocery costs to around 8000kr a month (3 years ago).  We cooked at home and only ate outside once a week in cheap places.

Tjuvholmen is a "fancy" place...lots of pubs and restaurants.  I am not so sure if you will eventually like to live there. Seem like a lot of temptation to eat out and noisy at night.

fornight :

We tried to shop in Sweden and when we were doing that, we were able to keep grocery costs to around 8000kr a month (3 years ago).  We cooked at home and only ate outside once a week in cheap places.

Tjuvholmen is a "fancy" place...lots of pubs and restaurants.  I am not so sure if you will eventually like to live there. Seem like a lot of temptation to eat out and noisy at night.

Shopping in Sweden has become less cost-effective due to the exchange rate lately. Prices are still cheaper but if you factor in the cost of fuel etc you have to be buying a LOT, and have the storage area to handle it. If you're looking for a place in Tjuvholmen at that price, I don't think you're gonna have much in the way of freezer space. But, there is still Gronland for inexpensive vegetables and non-perishables.

I do agree about Tjuvholmen not being the BEST residential area. I have some friends living in the area and they struggle with weekend noise regularly. There are some really nice apartments that look out towards the fjord on the end of it but I don't think those are reasonably going to be in  your price range.

Expatriate health insurance in Oslo

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Oslo

Moving to Oslo

Find tips from professionals about moving to Oslo

Travel insurance in Oslo

Enjoy stress-free travel to Oslo

Flights to Oslo

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Oslo