Mobile phone advice, please help

Hello all

I am due to move to Almaty in two weeks for six months and was wondering whther Kazakhstani cell phone networks offer short term (i.e) six month contracts and how competetive they are. I am not bringing a cell to Kazakhstan. Also what is the coverage like and I will also be travelling to Astana a lot so do they have local numbers like the Us or the more standard country-wide.

Any help would be much appreciated

Welcome to the forum KitC :)

While waiting for other members to bring their contribution I would like to suggest you my opinion. Sorry if you find my suggestion a bit irrelevant!

You can also use Skype and buy credits to make calls & send sms! It will surely cost you much cheaper!! It is very reliable as well for international calls and you can even buy a Skype number from them for your contacts to phone you.

All you will need is an Internet connection which am sure is widely available there!

Regards :)

Hi KitC,

Have you considered pre-paid for your 6 month visit?

You will get a country-wide number. Coverage in the cities is usually fine.

Most popular providers are KCell, Beeline and Active. They offer a wide range of pre-paid/subscriptions etc. Get to one of the local office, there websites or a local mall for more info on these providers.

Good luck.