Travelling to SA, with child

hi everyone!

i hope you can help, my son and myself are travelling to south africa this summer to meet my boyfrinds family and celebrate his 30th birthday. i have read that for my son i will need his passport, his full uk birth certificate, a signed affidavit from his father permitting travel. i also read that i will need a court order stating parental responsibility, but as his mother i automatically have this upon his birth... and there is not form for me to fill out to get it! i'm confused about this part?
for myself i intend to carry my passport, marriage certificate and decree absolut as well as my full uk birth certificate....

if anyine can clarify the parental responsibility that would be great, as according to the uk.gov website i dont need to apply for it!

thanks
sam

a little more research this eve shows that its an affidavit...OR court order, OR death certificate for missing parent, as well as the full birth certificate. thanks all. xx

Hi there!
My family and I have been living in Cape Town for almost two years. We have had issues travelling out of and back into South Africa.

You must have the following, and there are unfortunately no exceptions (they will not let you on the plane)

1. Birth Certificate ( they say they want an 'original' which is stupid, so if you don't have that get a certified copy)
2. A written affidavit from the parent not travelling with the child stating that he/she approves the travel.

It is a real pain and most of the time the people in foreign airports are not totally confident in that you are compliant. We all have 2-year visas and therefore don't need to have their birth certificates, we were almost detained and almost missed our flights.

Hope that helps,

Christina

Crikey! Thanks for confirming that for me... I have his full certificate, and the affidavit shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again. Sounds like we'll have to arrive at the airport super early!  X