Accounts/identifications that single expats can acquire in the PI

The other day I was sharing an experience with a fellow expat and he was in shock to learn that I had acquired various accounts and identifications that he felt were not available to unmarried expats.

Therefore, I would like to open a discussion on what other expats have found or been told about the following services, accounts and identifications:

1.TIN account & ID
2. PhilHealth account & ID
3. PAG-iBIG account & ID
4. DL
5. Senior Citizen account & ID
6. Persons with disability account & ID
7. ACR-I  Card

Of the list above, I have been able to acquire all but numbers 5 & 6.  However, the steps and energy that went into acquiring some of the others is noteworthy.

In sequential order, here are some notes and comments for each:

1.  TIN  -  Many Expats are wrongly told that a special office in QC is the only place that a foreigner can be get their TIN card.  My application was refused at the BIR in Cavite until I provided a copy of EO 98 and pointed it out on their form.  The key is to ONLY use BIR Form 1904 – Application for registration for one-time taxpayer and persons registering under E.O. 98  [Download here: http://www.gov.ph/downloads/2014/07jul/ … -1904.pdf]  *****I have a TIN picture ID*****

Why get this ID?:  It is reported to be required to be able to transact with any Government Office and as of 2015, Banks are required to request this (YMMV).

2.  PhilHealth account/ID  -  Many Expats are wrongly told that PhilHeath is not for a foreigner.  My request for an application was refused at the local city office since I am single/not married to a Phil citizen.  The solution: Go to the website, fill out your application and get your confirmation in 7 minutes.   In a few hours you will get a text to confirm and all you have to do is print your confirmation.  If you are 60+ you get a lifetime status without a free ever.  Note: the Phil government has not settled on the lifetime ID card design, so no person 60+ has the actual issued yet.  [Go here: https://eregister.philhealth.gov.ph]  *****I do not have a picture ID Card yet*****

Why get this ID?:  Obvious savings and assistance on health care costs the rest of your life (YMMV).

3.  PAG-iBIG account/ID  -  Many Expats are wrongly told that PAG-iBIG is not for a foreigner.  This is another area of misinformation that I avoided by doing the application online.  One must be careful here and not try to pay or post funds to their new account.  The fund will limit services to expats that are available to citizens.  Therefore, if the expat plans to purchase property with a CCT, this can be applied.  It is complex and one needs to review all of this with the info dest at PAG-iBIG. 

The solution: Go here: https://www.pagibigfundservices.com   *****I have a PAG-iBIG picture ID*****

4.  DL  -  Not a problem for a foreigner.   Just make sure your license from your country is current.

5.  Senior Citizen account/ID  -  Many Expats are not able to get this as a foreigner, myself included.  However, some expats get it with no problem based on where they apply for it.  Example:  Imus will issue it expats living there but Tagaytay will not issue any longer to expats living here.  *****I do not have an account or picture ID but have seen other expats with account/issued ID*****

6. Persons with disability account & ID  -  This status was denied me despite a local doctor confirmation and the Philippines being a UN signatory in support of global senior citizens rights.  The path to denial started with RA 9994 to RA 7432 to RA 9257.  This is an ongoing process that I am working on.  *****I do not have an account or picture ID*****

7. ACR-I  Card  -  This is now required after 59+ days so collecting $50 from each expat does not raise any issue unless the expat fails to renew the tourist visa.  *****I am sure nearly all of us have an account/picture ID*****

With the above listing, I ask that expats share their views, concerns and or experiences on any of the 7.

This post is interresting.

I would like to say only that all banks don't have the same rules and maybe not the same rules also in different regions.

I just opened BDO bank account, with ATM card, Mastercard Debit card, possibility to withdraw money from my Paypal account to my BDO account... I had only to give them, my ACR card (provided by immigration after some months), my passport and my foreign driving licence and I got my account in less than 30 minutes, in the bank.

Why have I choose BDO? It's the only bank where I can use my foreign ATM card (Maestro) to withdraw money. it's strange because I can withdraw money only with some BDO ATM's running with a new version of their application. It's not possible with other BDO ATM's and not possible at all with any other ATM of other banks.

In many cases, the expat's home country will determine what the Phil bank will require.  In addition to RA 10641 removing the 60 % foreign ownership cap, the PI has also started to conform with U.S. regulatory changes which do result in restrictions and lockouts from both U.S. and foreign financial institutions.  This means a bank official must sign a statement guaranteeing compliance with FATCA ( https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Corporat … -Act-FATCA ).

Simple put, American expats must deal with the fact that foreign financial firms must report to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service any/all investment income and balances above certain thresholds for accounts held by U.S. customers.

Expats from other countries will most likely find that the banks in the PI requires less to open non-US expat accounts.  As an added step, I refuse to have any direct deposit of retirement funds to a foreign account and maintain all such activity from within the USA.  In general, I find BPI to be the most helpful and easiest to do business with in my situation.  YMMV