Resident permanente and US car

My wife and I just got our resident permanente visas today at the Detroit Mexican consulate. Once we enter Mexico we have 30 days to finalize the visa process. I understand that once we have the permanent visa we will no longer be able to keep our 3 year old US car in Mexico . My question is this, can we drive our car to SMA, return to the US in about 25 days, sell the car there and then fly back to SMA before the 30 day period expires? What we are trying to avoid is having our dog flown down in the plane's luggage compartment and also be able to take limited items in the car before our household goods arrive about 3 months later.

After 7 years here in Mexico, this strikes me as a really sticky situation.
I assume that everything at the consulate was on the up and up.
If there wasn't an American car involved, I surprised if there was anything that could hold up the paperwork once in Mexico.

I'm guessing you're already considered a Residente Permanente and shouldn't attempt to bring the car in.

If it were me, I'd try to get in touch with the INM office where you'll be processing your paperwork and ask.

Thank you for the input.

INM won't have any info about cars because that is the business of Aduana.  If you are not legally a Permanente when you cross the border with FMM marked CANJE then it seems you can be legal for 30 days.  The Banjercito window where you pay for everything will certainly let you know

Returno Seguro program to return illegal cars without penalty
http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos … eguro.aspx

sparksmex wrote:

INM won't have any info about cars because that is the business of Aduana.  If you are not legally a Permanente when you cross the border with FMM marked CANJE then it seems you can be legal for 30 days.  The Banjercito window where you pay for everything will certainly let you know

Of course,  I missed that since I never had dealings with them.

Might it not pay to contact them?
There's a website and a phone number on the Contact page.

I may just be lucky but I've saved myself trouble by asking first.

Once at the border, what would you do if they refused to let you in with the vehicle?

That was my fear. So, we've decided to sell the car here in the States and fly from Dallas. We will just medicate Lola enough to get her through the flight. We certainly will have all her documents.

Thank all of you for the info

If you have a Permanent Residence you cannot own a US Registered car.  You must buy a Mexican vehicle.
From recent experience - Had to sell my US car and ship it back to the US then purchase a Mexican vehicle

Out of curiosity, how did you sell your car before it was shipped to the US. That might be an option

There seems to a confusion in terms. You apply for a residente temporal in the states, you return to Mexico from the U.S. and your visa as texmex says is marked  "CANJE " or change.  After you have had that for the required number of years you can apply for a permanente in Mexico, You can not have a U.S. car to apply for a temporal. I know all of this from first hand recent experience. Plus I have a good friend whose brother is an Aduana. Given that they have had recent changes in government I checked again just 2 days ago and none of that has changed.

I think Barcadero's situation is different.
He and his family are coming into Mexico as Residentes Permanentes from the start.
I don't know exactly what the Visa Stamp/Sticker that the Consulate places in the US passport says.
If it says just Residente or Residente Permanente, there might be questions or problems when they get to Aduana to do car paperwork.
In any case they'd have to visit the INM office where they live to get a permit to leave and return one time because they have a visa Stamp/Sticker in their passports they wouldn't have if they were just Tourists.

The visa is stamped "resident permanente" with an expiration of six months. Once we enter Mexico we have thirty to complete the process and then we receive our resident permanente card.

Barcadero wrote:

The visa is stamped "resident permanente" with an expiration of six months. Once we enter Mexico we have thirty to complete the process and then we receive our resident permanente card.

There's really no way getting around the fact that you are or will be Residentes Permanentes.  If Aduana should consider you Residente Permanente when you came in with the car, the least they might do is turn you around and send you back. 

As thick as the rule book may be, each border Migracion and Aduana post has a lot of autonomy.  Your current plan seems the one most likely to avoid complications.

I would not wait the 30 days once you are in Mexico to finalize the process. All INM offices are not equal. We applied for a temporary visa and purchased one year when we arrived. We returned home for a visit and were told if we came back to Mexico to extend our visa to the max of four years we would only have 5 days to report to INM with something date stamped at the border.

Mike

I don't see why you should have any problem doing that. I drive in and out of the US all the time and don't have any problems. You have been able to drive a vehicle into Mexico and stay for as long as your visa is good. You can drive out anytime.

Are you a Residente Permanente?

Perhaps if you are just in some border states, but not so much in the rest of Mexico. Most of Mexico requires a import permit. When the federal's stop you to check in say Mazatlan or Yucatan, you will have a problem without the import sticker, and you can not stay in Mexico as long as you like in most of Mexico. So stick to Sonora, Baja etc.. In other words stay in the free zones "The Mexican customs checkpoints have been moved further into the interior of Mexico, typically 20 to 26 kilometers, to create a zone that extends along the entire northern border of Mexico." You will need Mexican insurance even in the free zone.