Expat women in Philippines

I am  a mature age Aussie woman living here with my husband. Although I love it here, it can be difficult. For example, most of the Filipino houses are entirely unsuitable for the tropical climate. They tend to be two or three storeys instead of bungalow designs with wide decks to avoid the heat. I hadn't realised how well Aussies built houses to suit the climate until we moved here. Most of the expat men are married to Filipinos so I am in the minority here which is understandable. No I don't leave the toilet seat up for my partner and I certainly expect him to share some of the household tasks just as we used to do Aust.

so where r u from mam?

I live in Subic. I like the area but some things are limited. I make a monthly trip to Manila to buy groceries at S& R. We have a terrific Aussie butcher here who brings in Aust beef. I am a retired teacher but I still stay involved in the profession.

Hi,

We are planning to have a get together at the Fort this end of the month, would you and your husband like to join? Where do you usually stay when you come and visit Manila? Are you guys driving or do you have a driver? Let me know if you need help on your accommodations so I can get you a discounted rate.

My family are also going to Subic, Clark and Bataan this November. Perhaps we can meet with you as well. My parents in law who are in their 80's came with us to retire here but we are based in Alabang area.

I understand your predicament, that's why we bought a bungalow house and we have a self-sustaining house and cool enough without having to pay an enormous utility bill to Meralco! We've learned from the Australian's technologies as well, combined with American's, Chinese and Filipinos as well.

Let us know your plans and we will be glad to meet you.
Sincerely,
Pinaymentor

I am Canadian, married and we are mostly retired.  We spend part of each year near Angeles City.  I tend to have lots of free time during the days and would love it if I could connect with some ladies in the same situation for an occassional lunch or a glass of wine.

Jewels

Re: "No I don't leave the toilet seat up for my partner and I certainly expect him to share some of the household tasks just as we used to do Aust."

Be careful. Your husband could easily find a filipina who would be all too willing to put the toilet seat up for your husband and do all the cleaning!

Yeah! If he wants to support the whole family and loves being called "daddy" then he can go for it. Hopefully he still prefers an intelligent woman who wants him for himself and not his money!

You guys are funny.  I think my husband does love me for my money.... that is to say, the money he would LOSE if he decided to look for a better housekeeper.  The money, the house, the car....haha.

As a follow up... I am married to a Filipina. She does not support her family. She was a widow from the Philippines and receives a nice pension from that country. When we go there in the winter for 4 months, I pay for the air fare from Canada and her pension pays for our expenses while we are there.

Hey db, what part of the country do you stay in when you winter in PI?

Kateylou

We are going there next week for 4 months. We go to her brother's place in Bulacan (who is an industrial equipment salesman) for a couple of weeks and get dental work done there first. She does her business in Manila for a couple of days. She then flys to Laoag to see her relatives for 2 days and comes back to Bulacan.
On the 30th of Nov we go to Davao by superferry and travel up the East coast of Mindanao by bus to Esparanza, Butuan City, Surigao and then over to Dumagete to visit friends from Canada also on vacation.
We make our way back to Bulacan and in January we go to Palawan to Ocamocam.com resort ( I desiged the web site and will be updating it with more pictures and videos).
After that, we may take a side trip to Indonesia. She wants to go but I am not fussy about going there.
Another friend from the States wants me to travel with him to Angeles City. I go there to visit musician friends who play at the Midnight Rodeo Club (not for the girls). I am a musician myself. At the same time we will go to Baguio City to listen and visit more country musicians.
My wife is very thrifty (Ilocana) and we backpack wherever we go.

KateyLou
Well, if you are still in AC, maybe we can all meet at the VFW and have lunch together. Have a nice xmas.

Hey, what you up to Jewels?

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : This is an old thread. Please create a new topic on the forum so that you may have some interaction. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am an expat woman living on Olango Island (not far from Cebu).  How far are you from Cebu; my geography of this country is still pretty terrible.

I've been in the Philippines for 9 years, and living on Olango Island for nearly six.  I am a retired professor of psychology and spend my time writing, painting, along with other pastimes.  I am not married;  am 70 years old, and live with my nearly six year old dog.

Hi Jewels after reading your post i would be interested to know how your butcher brings in Aussie beef as you know what the local beef is like trying to eat your leather belt lol, I have talked to Aussie Xpats who reckon you just bring it in in your baggage? not sure about that? im in Australia at present but returning late April so thinking about how i could do it?

Separate Styrofoam container and dry ice should do it.

Nicely said.

(dbentess) Congratulations on being happy together, I fully understand.

Hi Everyone,

Please note that this is an old thread. It will be appreciated if you share your experience on recent threads of the forum so that members can benefit from your inputs.

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Hi
I get my meat at Subic Meats in Barreto. Also special meats such as duck breast at Urban Deli in SBFZ.

But not all expats married to Filipinos support the extended family,I for one. I am sure my partner is as well educated or better than you are.

@Victoria1947

Hello Victoria

I'm spending the Southern hemisphere winter here in Negros. 71 ys and single. Retired social worker from Australia . No hidden agendas. I'd just like to have some contact with like mineded xpat women. Cheers Gaye

@halfthesky4me

Hi,

This says that you wrote this "today" , but I'm not sure I'm reading it right.  It's June 23, 2023.

Anyway, if you would like to correspond, I would be happy to do that.  I live on Olango Island, which is about 15 minute boat ride from Lapu Lapu, which is connected to Cebu by a bridge.   I don't go over often and am mostly a homebody.  I'm 76 years old now and had a major heart attack just over six years ago.  After that heart attack ad surgery, my cardiologist told me I had about a year left to live.  Now she calls me her miracle patient.  I'm ambulatory at home, but not good getting around malls.  So I take my helper with me and we use a wheelchair.

This past year, I've kept busy with taking online courses through wonderful schools like Harvard and Yale Universities.  It has been a great experience!   I also still read a great deal, usually one or two books a week.

Hope to hear from you soon and that you tell me a bit more about yourself.

Victoria

Welcome, Gaye, hope you find what you are looking for.   Please be advised that Victoria1947 has not posted on Expat.com since August of 2017, doubt she will be responding.

WOW, I stand corrected , welcome back Victoria.

@mugteck Thank you  I thought this expat.com was closed and long gone......and then something appeared in my email today.  Glad this is still going.  I would enjoy communicating with other women expats. 

Nice to see some ladies here, hope you can hook up or correspond, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

@dbentess1f600.svg1f923.svg1f603.svg

@dbentess1f600.svg1f923.svg1f603.svg
-@Gezzar

dbentess has not posted since November, 2010.  Another resurrection?

@Victoria1947 Sometimes you see a foreign female in the Philippines, most of the time with her foreign husband or boyfriend. Than they move around but since most Filipinas are verry pretty this foreign woman or girl finds it hard to compete since all Filipinas are smiling at her husband or boyfriend. After a few days you see in their faces, they only just want one thing left.

Going home with the next plane. Whatever you do, never bring your wife or girlfriend to the Philippines, that wont make her happy. If you love your woman, leave her at home.

@Victoria1947 Sometimes you see a foreign female in the Philippines, most of the time with her foreign husband or boyfriend. Than they move around but since most Filipinas are verry pretty this foreign woman or girl finds it hard to compete since all Filipinas are smiling at her husband or boyfriend. After a few days you see in their faces, they only just want one thing left.
Going home with the next plane. Whatever you do, never bring your wife or girlfriend to the Philippines, that wont make her happy. If you love your woman, leave her at home.
-@Ivo sonnenberg

True. The problem is that many expats never return home to their ‘ loved' one once smitten with women that are attractive, sexy ( and yes many Filipinas know how to look good with minimal attire) and intuitive to a man's needs. Oh and yes they still retain their femininity.

Whenever they stage the Football World Cup I have a wry smile thinking what would happen if the event was held in the Philippines. Just picture all those British housewives seeing their partners off at the airport.

How many of them would return?

Guess if they had the World Cup in Qatar, then it could happen almost anywhere, provided enough bribes were paid.

@Lotus Eater Right, years agoo my Dutch GF in Switserland brought me to the airport and said, Ivo what happens in the Phililppines stays in the Phillippines, how a wise woman that was, indeed i stayed in the philippines.1f600.svg first returnd two years later. Never saw her again. Thats it with woman, they have little patience.

@Lotus Eater Right, years agoo my Dutch GF in Switserland brought me to the airport and said, Ivo what happens in the Phililppines stays in the Phillippines, how a wise woman that was, indeed i stayed in the philippines.1f600.svg first returnd two years later. Never saw her again. Thats it with woman, they have little patience.
-@Ivo sonnenberg

1f923.svg

@Ivo sonnenberg If you REALLY love your woman, STAY home.