Any other expats working at Al Ain Hospital??

Hello - I am a nurse, just getting an accepted job offer for Al Ain hospital. Would love a first hand review of the hospital environment..staff...living arrangements...things to be prepared for, etc...
Also wondering about transportation...I see there is somewhat of a bus system...any chance I could get by on that and NOT have to buy/rent a car??

Any advice or information is welcomed!
Thanks!!

You guys need to include ThunderAce (John) in your communications.  I think he is in route (or soon will be enroute) working at the same hospital.  Maybe you can help each other out.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Hi

Have you arrived yet???

Also working here.

:D

Moderated by Anas 5 years ago
Reason : For your own security,do not share your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Let me know when you arive in you Alain. I am also a very best friend of Alain hospital nurses

Welcome to all of you, new members of Al Ain forum!

Thank you very much. I really appriciate the great work you are doing for the expats...

Hi, did  you get to Al Ain?  I've just been offered a staff nurse post also and would like to know how you're getting on.  Moving abroad on my own is a new thing for me and i'ld be giving up the job i love on a cardio ward so is it worth it?

hello
I am a dentist working in AL AIN for the last 5 years .
I am trying to move the the opposite way to canada .
I am persuing my licensing exams in canada .
I am a bit surprised to hear you all are moving to the middle east from NOrth America

tom

boston_nurse wrote:

Hello - I am a nurse, just getting an accepted job offer for Al Ain hospital. Would love a first hand review of the hospital environment..staff...living arrangements...things to be prepared for, etc...
Also wondering about transportation...I see there is somewhat of a bus system...any chance I could get by on that and NOT have to buy/rent a car??

Any advice or information is welcomed!
Thanks!!

the best way to get on, is to buy a car otherwise you will loose a lot of time waitng for the bus -the routes are not yet well served yet !!!!!!and also its quite hot here now

Hi, There If you require any assistance in Al Ain ***

Moderated by Anas 5 years ago
Reason : For your own security,do not share your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My sister in law works in Alain Hospital Administration but she is a local...I can ask her stuff if u guys like. They are expanding into a huge brand new to be opened in a few yrs. I am from Canada and miss it. One thing u guys (as nurses) coming from the west, the docs are a little demeaning (like in western countries nurses run the show and are given huge responsibility, here it is not like that. ALSO people get paid on race (like filapino nurse doing same job as western nurse gets paid way less apparantly) and be prepared to deal with one sick kid plus at least 10 of their relatives! But it is a nice place. Al Ain is quieter than Abu Dhabi and Dubai but u could go there on weekends and stuff. I am a canadian living here.

Hi UmmKhaled,

just to correct your statement that 'people are paid by race'. The wage structure actually follows guideline put in place by the United Nations. So basically wages are relevant to you home countrys GDP. This is to prevent unblancing country's economys. I have an Irish passport and even though my wage is higher that my fillipino/indians collegues, the cost of living in Ireland is perhaps 20 time more expensive than india/ Phillipines. Its all relative.

Well thats not really correcting my statement it is proving it is true. I think it is wrong..they are doing the same job and being paid way less. I know my sister and mother are nurses in Canada and make really good salary. It is so wrong. THAT would never happen in Canada, you are paid by experience but there are rate tables. Paid y race and paid by country of origin is the same thing. Like maids for example here...if u r Etheopian u r paid $500 Dirhams a month, but if u r indonesian u get $700-750 if u r filapino you get $750-800 so it does show...Sri Lankans are low scale too...anyways it si the sad truth here, can't be covered up. My husband even says the same. No such thing as messing up the economy by paying them lower...they are trying to better their lives and how can they? Well they can for that small amount but are still living in poverty...I could write more but my sons waiting for the computer. It is true...by the way I am irish too :)

I know what you are saying and we are all doing the same job. i've worked myself in the uk/canada/australia and know all about the pay scales in these countries. i really must correct myself. Its not what country that your from. its what passport you hold. So as i'm sure you know you find lots of fillipino's who have worked in the uk/ new zealand and have passports from these countries, they are on 'western' contracts here. I've actually been told that this is going to change here because of directives from the United Nation. If somebody has a passport from a different nation to which they were born in and have lived there for less than 10 years, then they will be put onto a contract as if they were on their origanalpassport. Again,this seems completley unfair. I guess we all wish we could be on 'local contracts'. Slan go foill.

On the issue of pay....

It's been written into my contract that I don't discuss how much I am earning with other members of staff. S. won't.

I was employed in KSA for a while however. The deal was I got paid 6 times more than my Filipino friends. It was unfair. If I or my Filipino friends went to work I the states we would be paid the same. Certain areas of the middle east routinely underpay certain countries.

Thank you all for your posts over the last months. Unfortunately, after over 18 months of paperwork, HAAD has denied my application, stating because I have only the LPN license. My license was approved several times over by both my recruiters and the AL Ain hospital staff, at several levels so I was very much hoping to join. But it seems HAAD has the final say and although I was told originally they DO accept the PN license, it seems they do not.
Again, I appreciate all your comments and help. All the best to you.

Just received an offer for Al AIn Hospital in Abu Dhabi. Anyone out there working there? What is the culture and management like?

Good evening dear lady
You will be fine things are so laid back and interesting.I worked in the UAE for over six years and ut was one of the best times on my journey to learn about cultures of the world.
Kind regards
B