Philippines

First thing comes to your mind when you heard the word "philippines" ?

A group of islands that defies one's ability to remember its shape.

A country of islands like others............

A country that has 7,107 islands xxx

Lots of domestic helpers (maids) who gather in certain Singapore shopping malls in great numbers to chat loudly.

beppi wrote:

Lots of domestic helpers (maids) who gather in certain Singapore shopping malls in great numbers to chat loudly.

What kind of stupid remark is this,are you trying to be a comedian?

Dreal1 wrote:
beppi wrote:

Did you get up on the wrong side of bed this morning?  :unsure

Dreal1 wrote:
beppi wrote:

My remark is 100% true: That's the main thing you see from the Phillipines in Singapore. The second one, at least in my line of work, is Philippino technicians who can repair each and every machine.

Moved to the Philippines forum

beppi wrote:

Lots of domestic helpers (maids) who gather in certain Singapore shopping malls in great numbers to chat loudly

perhaps Filipinos talk more loudly than you do.. but this is a different culture .. . they don't talk loudly to annoy people, they talk loudly because this is how (some) filipinos speak.  you can always wear earplugs.. peace

tommieboy999 wrote:

beppi wrote:

Lots of domestic helpers (maids) who gather in certain Singapore shopping malls in great numbers to chat loudly

perhaps Filipinos talk more loudly than you do.. but this is a different culture .. . they don't talk loudly to annoy people, they talk loudly because this is how (some) filipinos speak.  you can always wear earplugs.. peace

Wow! So that's the first thing about the Philippines that came to your mind?   :lol:

PS Did you even read the OP's question?  :/

Wonderful people, beautiful country,  charming culture & delicious food.

lets not carried away.. I agree with all except the 'food' part.. haha

I've enjoyed Filipino food for 30+years. It's a sophisticated and delightful cuisine. Like any food, the skill and care of the cook are rather important.

sophisticated and delightful ?  ive never heard of the cuisine here described that way (not by an expat anyway).  but its nice that there are a few expats that enjoy bland, salty, overcooked, oily, fatty, artery-clogging Filipino food.   Peace

tommieboy999 wrote:

lets not carried away.. I agree with all except the 'food' part.. haha

You haven't eaten my wife's cooking...So Delicious...

tuttifrutti wrote:

A country that has 7,107 islands xxx

high tide or low tide? hahaha :D

Where you from tommieboy999? I'm from South Louisiana and the food in the Philippines has many dishes that are very close to Cajun cooking! MANY dishes! I just take the cuisine, add a Cajun touch to it, and voila'...Cajun-Filipino cuisine! I have also discovered that when I cook, (and as a Cajun that is OFTEN), my girl and her family LOVE having different dishes to eat! Now, I do anything from Italian to Mediterranean, so it's easy for me. But, as far as bland and salty, greasy, oily, and whatever else you described it as. I haven't experienced that in my travels in the Islands. Are you buying food at the bars your at? That would explain the salty.....get you to buy more beer.

sorry for having my own opinion on the 'sophisticated cuisine' of the Philippines (and Louisiana). haha.. didn't mean to offend you.

tommieboy999 wrote:

sorry for having my own opinion on the 'sophisticated cuisine' of the Philippines (and Louisiana). haha.. didn't mean to offend you.

Tommie, I see from you avatar you like Sushi...LOL...Did you know 90% of the Sushi you buy in the US restaurants are loaded with bacteria some of which is very harmful...I myself love sushi also but I will never eat it unless it is prepared right in front of me and I am able to see the fish stock myself to see that it is the catch of the day...Or I just buy my fish a the local fish market...

Actually, some Filipino food is extremely nutritious and low in fat..But I do agree with you there are many restaurants and fast food places which do serve what you described but reputable places serve quality food...

I myself have traveled to over 30 countries and have eaten things not to be mentioned here...Some of my favorite food is Korean but I have grown fond of several Filipino dishes also...

beppi wrote:

Such arrogance!  Just because you came from a first world country does not entitle you to be condescending of Filipinos everywhere.  It's people like you who give even the kindest of expats in third world countries a bad image. You should apologize for such an offensive remark.

Practice humility.  Here's a link to help you: http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Being-a-Con … ing-Person

tommieboy999 wrote:

sophisticated and delightful ?  ive never heard of the cuisine here described that way (not by an expat anyway).  but its nice that there are a few expats that enjoy bland, salty, overcooked, oily, fatty, artery-clogging Filipino food.   Peace

How bland, salty, overcooked, oily, fatty a dish can be is up to the one who prepares it, which is why I usually don't order Filipino dishes at restaurants.  I make them myself at home where I substitute fatty cuts with leaner meats and use less salt.  My in-laws really love them.

My father-in-law, who is into healthy foods, likes sinigang or sour soup with salmon fillet. He especially likes it with radish slices. This dish is often served at restaurants with pork spare ribs or pork belly or prawns which have bad cholesterol.

My mother- and sister-in-laws both like afritada with chicken breast fillet.(which is usually with pork, often pork belly)

My sister-in-law's kids, who are picky eaters, like pancit where I use shredded chicken breast fillet instead of chicken chunks to make the noodles more flavorful. They ate everything on their plate, including veggies: carrots, snow peas, and green beans, which delighted my sister because it's hard to make them eat veggies.

Today on waking up. Noticed it rained a little last night.  So my first thought on the Philippines today was. Better take my morning walk early. As when the sun gets up she will steam off and be humid.

You have failed to eat at my home here.  My wife now knows what Philippine foods I like. Hate to say it but she fry's better chicken than me.  As for American food I cook out on my grill 3 to 4 afternoons a week. She will not touch that. And her cousin starving student. 3rd year chef student comes by every Wend. to cook supper for us. Spend the night and helps her clean Thursday and use our internet and such. For 300 peso her food money for school. I call her eat eat to my wife. She earns extra when she has extra days from school to be here. Around 4 hours work and cook she can do.  So 1 big supper a week prepared at home by a chef. Wife is a good Philippine cook. Not American food! And I cook American for her. We eat very well here.  But they do need rice with every meal.  I have noticed that.  No rice in the pot at home and they panic in front of a full house of food.   I have also noticed starving student leaves with snacks for the week my wife buy's and then sets on the ironing board in the back bedroom.  Strange there I think.

Beautiful girls, and their friendliness

Salmon filet.   I take frozen orange juice. Make some double strong and coat filet. Bake in grill.  Not to hot as you do not want sugar in juice to burn. On rack above tinfoil. to catch drippings.  Orange glazed salmon is worth a try.

beppi wrote:

In Hong Kong in 2008 there was a park where they all gathered on Sundays, very loud but it was very endearing to see family and friends gather for their once a week meeting and picnic.  Went to the internet cafe and it was all Filipinas.  Being an OSW can be stressful.

golddigggers

paulopereirra wrote:

golddigggers

obviously you have never been here because if you have you would know that most girls are seeking love, respect and a happy family life, not money.  gold diggers are everywhere, in every country. such a stupid comment to make by someone who has only been to latin countries.

paulopereirra wrote:

golddigggers

Your profile shows a little negativity so I assume this has influenced your post. You perhaps need to visit and experience a few different countries firsthand so you can then give an informed post.
There are gold diggers everywhere around world, not just unique to Asia.

blue beaches..........hmmmmmmm......

freedom of speach ... please