Has anyone looked at moving to Calabria?

Hi all,

New here, but I notice on many of the Expat.coms and forum's there is little or no mention of Calabria. Is there any reason why.

I have been a couple of times and found it to be very beautiful and peaceful, plus the prices are very reasonable.

Thanks

Dave

Hello Damattproperty, I may be totally wrong here but from what I have heard & read Calabria has problem with crime. We went looking for a house next door in Puglia & the people were great, property prices low but every house had 3/4 large dogs & they never shut up barking I ask the hotelier why & she told me it was because of the thieves a lot of whome come through Brindisi port, we saw some private beaches with guards & barriers but thought little of it but whilst on the deserted public beach thieves tried to steal the rental car & we had only been there 20, min, so off we went not to return. This was 8 yrs ago & it may have been an isolated case and / or things may have changed I'm sure some of the other members could advise you further and for those who live in that area please do not take offence I'm only trying to help. good luck. Mick

Hi,

Eight years is a long time so as you say, things may have changed. I spent most of my time in Amendolara but then traveled down Cosenza along then towards Lamezia. I was there a week.

Having flown into Bari, the motorway was good as far as it went, but I am told that it will go all the way to Cosenza and join up with the motorway that runs down the west coast.

At present, I feel one of the problems is that you have a good drive from one of the airports, plus there are limited flights from UK, though I have just read that there will be more flights this summer from more UK airports. I am told that there are plans to build a new airport for Cosenza but that will be a few years yet, maybe the time to buy is now before the prices rocket.

I crime not a problem wherever you are, Italy, Spain or UK. I have just had my car broken into on the drive so is this a reason not to buy in the UK?

Cheers

Damattproperty