Abu Sayyaf Attack, Sulu Province

I was sorry to read today that the Abu Sayyaf attacked marines in Sulu, killing one marine and wounding 19 others while 25 Abu Sayyaf were killed and 24 wounded.  There had been peace for some time, I hope this is an isolated incident and not the start of a new push.  Sulu is off the coast and a Star Trek favorite, lets hope it does not spread to Mindanao and other hot spots.

I live in C.D.O.  They have a big military base here.    Been out and all is quit and seems safe here.

Hi James:

CDO Military base which Camp Evangelista of 10th infantry division is smaller than in the area of Sulu that is under West Command in Zamboanga City. The puzzle is, when there is military stronghold is where the hostility is. I used to live in CDO for 17 years and it is a friendly place it is the 'City of Golden Friendship"
To end hostility there in Western Mindanao is to pull out the military and give justice to Mindanao people. They own the land, they never surrendered to the Spaniards yet why Mindanao is included when Spaniards sold Philippines to the USA. Anyway, what happened there now in Sulu is an isolated one.

I didn't hear what happened. Could you enlighten me? An attack?

I live in CDO. as well.    I have heard with the power outages at night that it is best to walk on the main roads and not take shortcuts threw the small side roads if on foot. But I did not walk down them at night with the power on. So no loss to me there.  That was told to me by one of the maids here who walks home from work at night.   But what the reason for it was I have no idea. Probably just talk. And except for the night market or such I am not out at night most times.  You know how superstitious maids can be here as well?

All I heard was a  patrol got ambushed checking out a rebel base in the jungle.   Body count was in favor of the Army.  Had nothing to do with civilians at all.  And way south of CDO.