The other side of the Indian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in India, how would you describe the two sides of your Indian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

There are all sorts of people in India, just as anywhere else.  You find the ugly, the beautiful, the good and the bad. Don't ever let your guard down ever and enjoy the country.

My Indian postcard is filled with colors of the flowers and birds in her beautiful gardens; something I don't see much in Indonesia. It's also decorated with mesmerizing patterns of India's saree, lehnga, suit salwar, and shawls. I'm so amazed to see how "Jai Hind" is written in every Indian's heart. They are so very proud of their country, their culture, and the way they do things.

Sometimes I have, though, to write down my memories on the other side of my postcard. How close-minded the society can be very supressing its own members, especially women. Watching how unfair it is sometimes for women; the way they judge "a good girl" burns my head. Dust, unorganized traffic, and rude people seems to also ignite some rage within.

But the fact that my husband is here to support me, means so much to me. He helps me to bare the lows and enjoy the upper side of my postcard to the max. My advice to fellow expats, have good friends here. They'll show you all the good stuff, and make all the bad stuff seems so small.

Have a nice chai!

Newcupofchai.blogspot.com

Well said.  But these things are common in every corner of the world. Yea in india it is rampant,  this is because people dont care what others would think of their behavior as he see arround him self people with same mentality. ?.but believe me its changing now, slowly but for sure it is...and in couple of years it will subside.....

I recently wrote a post about this,

My 10 struggles since moving to India from the west.

Here it is, if anyone is interested! :)

englishwifeindianlife.com/2014/02/13/struggles-in-india-from-west/

i m actually married to an Indian and living    7 years  in India  .  after these years  every time i  turn back i feel happy  to come here, there are  different  things  and most common things  between my culture (Peru) and India , that make fell good     although there things also   can bring you  down .. i thing is part of the life   and experiences you  lived , the good and bad  will be always together in anywhere...
you can lost your patience , lost your mind and your  soul,  loving and hating India   and this just life  with all colors .

Jesus, I made my gf read your blogpost on indian life of an english wife, and now shes cancelled plans to move to India...lolol...but it does appear that you are in a conservative heartland. My mum was looking forward to hitting the nightclubs with my gf....lol

Nicely put Etta. Just one clarification. All Indians are not rude just as all Indonesians are not decent (saying this with conviction of three visits to Jakarta for two week each). Enjoy being in India. All the best

Enpee, there's good and bad people in each country. When I say rude, I wasn't just talking about my own experience, but also from fellow Indians. Rudeness in people is there, mostly in north Indians. South Indians are said to be more polite and sweet. Well, about indecent Indonesians, we all know anomalies are always there; like soft-spoken Delhites or rude Keralites. :) All in all, you might want to spend more time in Indonesia to have better judgement. My newly-arriving Indian friends in Jakarta always complain how people are uncooperative there. Well, seeing the way they talk to Indonesians, I could see why it happens. Treat Indonesians like you treat south Indians, then you might see the better side of your Indonesian postcards.

Have a nice chai! :)

"South Indians….polite and sweet…..
But Kerala is in South India.
But I agree with you.. partially!

My poscard of India.....Incredible India.
I stay on n off in Delhi and most the time i always have things to do and free on weekend only, not much interaction with People here, only people in my neigborhood.
But their landscape just amazing, i travel lots to see what i cant see in my country. from Varanasi, i came exactly on Khumb Mela..its magnific and i travel till kashmir. My planning before i left India i wanna do trekking in Ladakh.
my Favorit place so far Mcleod gajn , rishikesh and Kerala.
Im from bali so Delhi is not my type of city so Kerala and Goa is similar then my town.
Dealing with honking and crazy driver..... just take deep breath and yell out :) (my experience theyre just dont care)
Dealing with queuing, dont waste ur energy for urguing with people just take it easy and take ur position ( dont let more wringkle in ur face )
Dealing with hygiene prepare urself with wet tissue and hand sanitizer (personal experience)
Dealing with the Food choose the smooth food like their salad+dahi (forgot the name)or palakh paneer less spicies yet deliciuos. i dont have problem since i can cook and lots variety of vegetable here in market , i can survive :)
im not food hunter but weekend definitely will have food outside (i use app Zomato )
India its heaven to feed our soul, testing your temper and patience. yoga, cycling and travelling my key to survive here.
While you are here....Explore more India....and ull be amaze.

Cheers, Salam  :)