Temporary Residency Card (Vietnam)

Anyone one know if the TRC is province/city specific, or once you get it is it good throughout Vietnam. For example if I get a temporary residency card in HCMC, then move to Dalat will the TRC still be valid.

There is no restriction to where do you need to live! You can live anywhere in Vietnam  :D

@bta87 it's provincial. Here's a link that pretty much explains it:

http://www.vietnamonline.com/az/tempora … -card.html

Thanks Budman. I was beginning to think that was the case. The feela said he could get it for me no problem Then I said i would like to get it done before I move to Dalat, could he get it done and he cooled down quite a bit. Then he said he could still get it for me. Yeah and it would be worthless if I understand you and this official link you provided.
I appreciate it.

Diazzo,

If you TRC is legitimately obtained in HCMC, and you move to Da Lat, it will still be good.  All you will have to do is check in with the proper Da Lat provincial authorities.  However, if short-cuts were made in getting the card, once the  Da Lat authorities put their hands on it, everything will come out.

Wild_1 wrote:

Diazzo,

If you TRC is legitimately obtained in HCMC, and you move to Da Lat, it will still be good.  All you will have to do is check in with the proper Da Lat provincial authorities.  However, if short-cuts were made in getting the card, once the  Da Lat authorities put their hands on it, everything will come out.

I would think he just needs to check in with the ward police to register where he will be staying.  They will ask for his passport as well as his TRC (which was obtained in HCMC).  Once he's registered with the ward police, he's good.  I think the Provincial authorities come into play after his TRC (obtained in HCMC) expires and he would have to go to the Immigration Office for Lâm Đồng province (Ngô Huy Diễn street, ward 5, Đà Lạt city) to get a apply for a new TRC.

Budman1 wrote:

@bta87 it's provincial. Here's a link that pretty much explains it:

http://www.vietnamonline.com/az/tempora … -card.html

That website states that provincial authorities can issues a TRC; it doesn't restrict you to living in that province.  I'm with charmavietnam on this one in that you can live anywhere in the country after you've been issued a TRC.  Like how you can drive anywhere in the country after you've been issued a VDL (mine's issued by BRVT province).

So the TRC issued in HCMC is not worthless.

bta87 wrote:

Thanks Budman. I was beginning to think that was the case. The feela said he could get it for me no problem Then I said i would like to get it done before I move to Dalat, could he get it done and he cooled down quite a bit. Then he said he could still get it for me. Yeah and it would be worthless if I understand you and this official link you provided.
I appreciate it.

bta87, you can do this yourself or with a Vietnamese friend instead of using your agent.  Follow this link for the required documents.  The two Vietnamese forms are included.

http://hcmc.angloinfo.com/information/m … residence/

You can go to any provincial immigration office; not just the three regional administrative offices on this list.

Tend to disagree guys. If your issued the card in Saigon using a Saigon address and work permit, if any of that changes you have to apply for a new one. I'm just reading what the instructions say in English on the back of the card...

Budman1 wrote:

Tend to disagree guys. If your issued the card in Saigon using a Saigon address and work permit, if any of that changes you have to apply for a new one. I'm just reading what the instructions say in English on the back of the card...

Yes, like the enforcers, we are interpreting the rules differently.  I do not see an address field for the holder.  It just has the issuing agency.  And like a Driver's License, an issuing authority identifies which province initially granted it so it can be investigated and traced back.  It is effective throughout the country.

http://www.vietnamonline.com/js/ckfinder/userfiles/images/Temporary%20Residence%20Card%20Vietnam.jpg

The instruction reads "apply for new card if any change or alterations of its particulars is required" to me the only information that would change on the front of the card would be the dates.  So when the date written on the front of your card reaches the expired date, you should apply for a new one.

I'm not saying I'm absolutely right Budman1, but I am 95% confident that a TRC issued from one province/municipality is valid in another province/municipality and the holder does not have to re-apply at new province/municipality.  I did leave myself 5% to be wrong and you be right. 

I will ask this very question the next time I visit the Immigration office...unless anyone else has a source (I can't find it on the Internet).  Every search returns the validity of the TRC in terms of a time duration and does not state a geographical validity.

Thanks guys! Ya learn some good stuff on here. As Wild-1 said "...if short-cuts were taken...", in my case the entire thing would be a shortcut.

This should be the case as Budman1 said, if your TRC is issued pursuant to the work permit. In theory, TRC is issues by provincial immigration department, so there should have no issue if your TRC is issued in SG then you move to DL for living. But in my boss case, he got his TRC based on the work permit in SG, then he move up to HN. Thing is when he registers with the local police where he resides, the police ask him go to change the TRC with the permanent addres in HN at HN immigration dep. Not sure how it really works?!?

aibiet150204 wrote:

This should be the case as Budman1 said, if your TRC is issued pursuant to the work permit. In theory, TRC is issues by provincial immigration department, so there should have no issue if your TRC is issued in SG then you move to DL for living. But in my boss case, he got his TRC based on the work permit in SG, then he move up to HN. Thing is when he registers with the local police where he resides, the police ask him go to change the TRC with the permanent addres in HN at HN immigration dep. Not sure how it really works?!?

bta87 is retired.  He doesn't need a Work Permit.  He's looking for a TRC independent of a WP.

Guys,

The TRC is good throughout Vietnam, for short visits.  But when you move, the provincial authorities where you move to must be notified.  Once, you are properly checked-in and everything about you is checked out, the new province will issue you a new TRC, with your new address on it.

This type is an intra-province check,; therefore, it is quite thorough.  That is why I told Diazzo not to mess with it if he had taken "short-cuts" in Saigon.

He can stay in Da Lat and not have to check-in with Da Lat immigrations, but only for a short period of time.  Then just repeat it, much like the border-runs.  Only this is on a smaller scale, just need to go back to Saigon every week...  I wouldn't try for more than a week though.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:

bta87 is retired.  He doesn't need a Work Permit.  He's looking for a TRC independent of a WP.

My bad....crap, in order to get a TRC, you NEED a WP.

Temporary Residence Card: Foreign employees holding a work permit valid for more than 1 year and up to 2 years and dependents will be eligible for temporary residence card. The temporary residence card replaces the business visa.
http://residentvietnam.com/why-resident … mmigration

bta87, do you have a Work Permit now?  Is it issued by HCMC?

No I do not have a WP. My situation is just as Wild-1 has suggested many times in this thread. It rather seems that this is not a very good avenue if one is simply trying to avoid border runs etc. It seems it would work fine if i lived in HCM for the duration of the permit, but once i get to my new digs this could change drastically. Not sure what the ramifications would be for that. So I think it will be border runs for me for the forceable future. Good info though, thanks to all.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Yes, like the enforcers, we are interpreting the rules differently.  I do not see an address field for the holder.  It just has the issuing agency.  And like a Driver's License, an issuing authority identifies which province initially granted it so it can be investigated and traced back.  It is effective throughout the country.

http://www.vietnamonline.com/js/ckfinde … ietnam.jpg

The instruction reads "apply for new card if any change or alterations of its particulars is required" to me the only information that would change on the front of the card would be the dates.  So when the date written on the front of your card reaches the expired date, you should apply for a new one.

Yep, no address filed - they are centrally issued in Hanoi only, now since a month