Canceling a temporary residency card

Hi all,

I have an unusual situation to get your input on. My wife and I are US citizens and arrived last September. We were planning to start working with a foreign-owned company here, but needed to wait about 6 months while they did some reorganization and changes to their registration. In the mean time, I heard of a company that could obtain 3-yr temporary residency cards for us. We worked in another country prior to this where work permits and residency cards were completely separate from each other, so that was my only point of reference. At the time it seemed like a good solution to avoid border runs and multiple visas, and I did not realize that the normal order of events was to get a work permit first and then a temporary residency card. I paid the fee and was happy to have what I thought was legal registration for the next 3 years.

Fast forward to today. My work permit application has been stopped as the labor department is rightly questioning how I already have a residency card with a different company without a work permit. Evidently the "service" company obtained the cards by stating that I was an investor.

I realize now that it was a mistake to get the cards in the first place, so that's water under the bridge. I want to get the original cards cancelled and switch to a 3-month visa in order to reapply for the work permit and to eventually get a valid temporary residency card with the company I'm going to be working for. My problem is that the company that got the cards for us is not responding to phone calls to try and sort this out. If they are unwilling to cancel the cards for us, what are my options? I would like to avoid having a "black mark" in my record at either the labor or immigration departments, as I am hoping to work here for at least five years.

Thanks.

Yes and No. They are different documents but going usually in pairs. What you do not know, that you are:

- either a virtual employee in another/closed company
- been a business owner (business immediately closed after having residence)

My advise would be, contacting the people who did "assist" on this matter and asking clear questions and demanding the answer for it. With the 2nd option, you might be liable to pay some taxes - no worry on that, it will be less, than a stamp costs in the western world.

If it was the 1st option, than might have a bigger problem to straight that. You will be registered as working somewhere else.

Those who have registered will normally be able to straighten things up, without letting you know the details. If not, than you might have problem.

Problem: it will only exist, if you return soon/stay on in Vietnam, if you not get the clear answer.

Jeff,

The "service" company has no authority whatsoever in the issuance or cancellation of your TRC, Vietnamese Immigrations do though.  So, just be straight with the officials that you are working with and ask them for help.  They might fine you, since you initiated the process with the "service" company.  But that is still a lot better than being black-listed.  Furthermore, your fine amount will depend on your level of cooperation with Vietnamese Immigrations, in going after the "service" company.  If you do well, they might even waive it. 

I would get cracking if I were you.

Best,
Howie

Agree on that one. Wild_1 is right