DR is one of the easiest countries in the world to obtain a second pas

The Dominican Republic is one of the easiest countries in the world to obtain a second passport from

http://www.internationalman.com/78-glob … =15550_117

how real is this ?
Can one with passpart acess to long term stay in country?

Hi there, it is pretty simple to come here to live and work.  In order to get your passport you need residencia and you need to jump thru some hoops. But in comparison to other places, it is pretty simple.  Have you ever visited here?

You can stay here forever with out getting a Dominican Passport.  All you need to do so is your residency card (like a green card in the US) and your Cedula (Identity card).  Both are easy to get but does take some work and is expensive when using a lawyer to do so.  You will need a lawyer if you are not fluent in Spanish.

You can apply for a passport after 5 years of residency here and there are like Planner said, lots of hoops to jump through. You also need to be fluent in Spanish, have sponsor, and need to pass an interview and test.

Hope this helps.

Bob K

Thanks for reply.
Due to economy back in Portugal, i have tried the Brazilian adventure.
Have found lots of dificulties regarding the administrative and paper side of things.
Was looking for other destinations where it might be more easier to obtain resident status.
I was reading some articles, and spite i never been to DR might look at it a valid option.
Will looks further on the discussions eager to find the right procedure to accomplish that.

thanks for your replies !

Like I said residency is easy to get and  no need for a Dominican Passport. We have been here for 7 years only on residency

Bob K

Bob is correct, most expats will never get a Dominican passport,  residencia is all they need.

How long is the residencia good for, and how much is the renewal fee? Thanks.  Back in New York, my month in Cabarete was great, learned a lot and saw a lot :-) Now to send out my resume to the resorts and gyms.

The residency has to be renewed every two years for the first couple then you qualify for along one. Our last one was 4 years and it is due next year and we are trying for 8-10 years on that one. It is not free and with our lawyer about $500 each time

Glad you enjoyed Cabarete. Hard not to.

Bob K

Thanks as always for the great info Bob,  maybe next time I'm on the island, we can meet for a cold one. :-)

That sounds good to me.  When are you planning on returning.

Bob K

Possibly September or October when it starts to get chilly in New York, for now I will enjoy summer in New York. Will keep you posted on the return.

Sounds good, have good summer

Bob K