Personal Income Tax Return

Hi all!

I lived in Malta for a bit over a year and worked for about nine months. I would like to check with you guys if anyone knows if one can file an individual income tax return and get a refund of some of the income tax paid (because I feel like I overpaid on taxes especially with my husband not working for most of the year). I understand the tax system is very different than in the States and when I contacted the department they didn't really tell me anything specific. Does anyone have experience with this and if you do, please share what steps I need to take.

Miss the blue water, and parks, and pretty Tuffieha Bay.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Irina

You should be able to download the tax returns from the IRD website http://www.ird.gov.mt/ complete it and then submit it to them - but to be honest i wouldnt hold my breathe to get your cash back anytime soon theyre not very good at giving tax back to people who have left the island...i think they like to think that you wont bother and love to keep the extras.

Good luck and look forward to hearing of of your exploits with the IRD from afar.

There is also a guide to completing your tax return available here:

http://www.ird.gov.mt/downloads/individ … elp_en.pdf

IRD usually sends the blank tax return in April-May. The deadline for filing is 30/06. You can file it electronically if you have e-id

If you have a right for refund, you will receive the cheque in October-November

Spiridonov wrote:

IRD usually sends the blank tax return in April-May. The deadline for filing is 30/06. You can file it electronically if you have e-id

If you have a right for refund, you will receive the cheque in October-November

irana is in the USA Spiridonov. Doubt they'll send one there :-)

Hmm. It's a problem :) So she need to download the form, fill-in with biro and send by usual post.

Spiridonov wrote:

Hmm. It's a problem :) So she need to download the form, fill-in with biro and send by usual post.

can still do electronically, as long have e-ID.

Thanks guys,

You are helpful as always. I do have an e-ID, but do they do direct deposit in Malta bank account in case of refund? Because the check sent to my old address will do me no good :)

If you have e-id - register in IRD site (via mygov.mt) and wait for 2012 tax return. As I understand, it was not issued yet.

Regarding the cheque - I suggest to send them a letter with request regarding the refund options.

Hi Irina,

Not sure if this will help but I have previously claimed tax back from UK, Ireland and Gibraltar and always trough the Internet via a company called taxback.com

They will sort out all the paperwork for you and will keep you updated via their website. They will charge you a small fee as soon as you get your money back. To be honest, I have always done this way, coz otherwise, I wouldn't probably get anything if I was to do on my own. The 3 times they did for me, the money went straight to my bank acc with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck,
Antoni

Hi Mantonas,

I checked this site, but it doesn't seem like they do returns for Malta. But thanks anyways.

Irina