Recourse in pay problem with employer

Hi -

Can some-one help me?  Is there a Labor Board I can go to, or what?  My employer, a language school, keeps promising to pay me my salary, but there is always a different excuse.  This has gone on for a month.  I am trying to leave the country, and they know it.  I think they are holding out until I leave, so they can just keep my money.  (I have a work visa.)

Hello eflnow and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Perhaps try the education department to see if they know how to assist you

Threaten to go to the Ministry of Labor. Threats should probably be enough. Bring someone who can translate for you - even if they speak English. That'll show them that you have the resources to defend yourself against them.

Haha, sorry to laugh but I guess you are learning too that these Mongolians are the biggest money cheats I've ever seen anywhere. I would try threatening Labor board but they know that the govt here is ineffective at best. Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas.   I had already gone to the U. S. Embassy.  They said all they could do was call and "ask" my employer to pay.

when I told my employer I would going to the Labor Board, it got no reaction. ( It turns out the Labor Board is only for government employees, and although my employer has a contract with the Ministry of Ed and farmed me out to public schools and used me with training teachers for the the Ministry, I was technically an employee only of the private firm.)

When I informed them I would go to the police, I got no response from my employer.  The police said it was a civil case:  that I should go to the court.  So I did, but I had to hire a lawyer (and that's not cheap).  So now my lawyer has got all the information, and I have handed it over entirely to him.

Yep. Mongolians cheat a lot. They will always try to cheat you with money. Better beware.