Moving to the US?

hey all,
what's up?
I'm here surfing everyday on the web, trying to find details and hint to help me in my new life!
I'm french, and my "fiancé" got a job in New York, starting in september. No time to try anything regarding work permit or visa...We have been advised by his boss to marry asap, to facilitate all administrative issues and avoid being separated.
So basically, I'm looking for all kind of help, to tell me what kind of document I need, how long it takes, if i can work for less than 20h/week without visa, or not, if I can study...what is the cost of living in new york...I've been afraid by the price of flats I've seen on the web...
We already decided that we'll get married before going, meaning in the coming weeks.
cheers!

by the way, I'm nurse.
Is it possible to get a working permit once on the US soil?

tatavan :iagree:

Welcome on board tatavan!

All my wishes of success in your project :)

If you've got specific questions about living in the US, you should ask in the living in North America forum!

Thanks!
I'll go for it...

Hi,
I'm British & my husband has US citizenship, we've been here a year and I just sent off the last of my paperwork. It's a minefeild,I would not recommned doing the paperwork yourself .It is incredibly expensive if you get it wrong.Try www.catholiccharitiesny.org, they were able to direct me to another charity who were able to help with the paperwork, and they take a suggested donation once your case is complete.
Being married will definatlety help, start collecting proof of your relationship length now, photo albums/letters etc . Once here open a joint bank account put both names on all utility bills and rental agreements. Also take all your important documents with you, birth & marriage certificates, all your French addresses and past employer details.
Good luck...I'm waiting for my interview so I'll keep you posted!

Hi Tatawan
I think Charlier is right: it's just a nightmare doing all the paperwork yourself. I moved from France to the US with my company's support, and even their lawyer made a mistake that caused a 3 months delay to get our visas.
I don't know much about the details (all I remember is that I had to dig very deeply in my family's history to get all the required documents!), but getting maried is a first and mandatory step to get your visa, unless you have a US company sponsoring your visa for work. Once here, proof of residency will be required in addition to your visa to get a Social Security Number. This has nothing to do with our french Sécurité Sociale, but will be required by any employer if you intend to (legally :whistle:) work in the US. It is also the "magic number" you'll need to deal with about every local, state or federal administration, as well as to open your own bank account. So make sure you'll have your name on some rental, gas or phone contract!
Concerning the cost of living, NYC certainly is one of the most expensive city in the US and the prices for an appartment rental are very high, especially in Manhattan. The good thing is that it's also one of the only city in the US with decent public transportation and you won't need to afford a car. According to a friend of mine living in New York (I live in Pittsburgh), the cost of living in NYC is 20 to 30% higher than the cost of Paris... But your paycheck should be much higher there also.
All you need is a job: America welcomes good workers!

I wish you best of luck...
(But don't marry her just for US immigration... she's worth much more ;)