Making the move to Italy

I am an American currently on the tail end of my 3 month tourist visa here in Tuscany. My fiancée of two years has encouraged me to make a permanent move here. A few things stand in my way:

1: I would be living in a small town with little to no job opportunities available. This makes getting a work visa very difficult.

2: I don't have the funds to continually go back and forth between the States and Italy. We have been talking of marriage, but the requirements seem to show that I would need to:
-Go back to the States
-Go to the consulate and get a Nulla Osta and an Atto Notorio
-Get a copy of my birth certificate and translate it into Italian
-Go back to Italy and get married
-What happens with my visa...?

A few more things need to happen, but my main concern is saving money as I have limited savings and am currently unemployed. I'm wondering if any expats here have gone through this experience, and what exactly needed to happen? Do I need to get a different visa when I'm back in the States for a future marriage? I know there is a visa for alien spouses, but wouldn't we already need to be married for that to apply?

Thanks for your help!
-LT in Livorno Toscana

Hello Aratal and welcome on Expat.com!

Hope other members will give you some advices. :)

Aurélie

Hi Arantal,

to get married in Italy to an Italian citizen, it is enough to stay in Italy with a valid tourist visa, however I suggest you to ask to the offices of the municipality where you will marry. In this case, since you are an American citizen you must provide a declaration made by the U.S. Consul in Italy, and after going to the prefecture to authenticate the signature of the consul.
If you do not have a valid visa to legally reside in Italy you have to apply to the competent offices in the U.S. to get the above certificate.
If you want to get married in church you must make a request to the priest.

Then you have to go together with your future spouse,  to the Ufficio Matrimoni dell'Anagrafe of the town where she has the residence and submit the following documents:
1. document of identity for you both;
2. birth certificate authenticated by the Embassy USA;
3. The above-mentioned certificate issued by the Consulate or Embassy;
4. For your italian spouse she can self-certify the residence and the free state;
6. request delivered to the priest celebrating the marriage.

The Civil Status Officer will set a date for the swearing, where you will exchange promise to marry by the Civil Status Officer and you can request an interpreter.
The Office will make then the publication and after 8 days the Office will issue the certificate of Weddings publication.
This document must be handed to the priest or Civil Status Officer at the Municipality of residence to secure the wedding date.

That's all the process waiting for your marriage in Italy, but you can ask for more explanation to the offices of the municipality where you will marry

Ciao

Marco

Thank you very much!