Best SUV car rental

hi we are planning to arrive in late march and April of 2012 5 adults traveling. After the ACRC seminar we want to renta car for 10 days - recommendations for a car rental place?

We have used Thrifty and National with good success.  Both are located a $3.00 cab ride from the airport.  We will be back down in January (taking in the ARCR seminar) and have booked with National again.  Right now if you type "National" in the discount code box on their website you receive 20% off.  We once booked with another company and would never do that again!!  PM me if you wish and I will let you know which company that was.
Cheers .... Terry

Thank you very much  I will try national.

If you rent right from the airport all companies charge an airport tax.  We use the location "Rio Suguendo" from the National drop down menu (if you wish to rent very close to the airport).  They have a free shuttle to their location which is about a three minute ride from the airport.  It is often easier to grab a cab than try and find/wait for the shuttle.  One of the reasons we like this location is that we always arrive in Costa Rica in the late evening and depart early morning.  There is a Holiday Inn Express located two blocks from both Thrifty and National and we stay there the first and last night.

Economy Rent a Car has good cars and good prices

I always use Dollar Rent-a-Car, also near the airport. They have very sturdy diesel Montero Sports that can go just about anywhere and are very comfortable.

Casey  -  A Dull Roar - Moving to, Retiring in, and Living with Costa Rica

Thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

I haven't booked the flights yet but would prefer to fly into Liberia for a couple of weeks on the Nicoya Peninsula. Can anyone recommend a car rental company that won't rip me off? San Jose is still an option so I'd like to hear any suggestions you have. Thanks...

Sixt, Economy is garbage

Paradise Rental - you can find them of Facebook.
Honest owner and everything is straightforward, without any surprises. I used their Suzuki Jimny for two weeks last year driving across the country.

I'm doing the same in the southern pacific,  I'll be there 3rd week in January

Thanks, I did some research and found a company called Wild Rider that is locally owned and has great reviews. I've always wanted to drive a Suzuki Jimny. I would prefer to fly into Liberia but it looks like SJ is a lot cheaper.

Henrych wrote:

Paradise Rental - you can find them of Facebook.
Honest owner and everything is straightforward, without any surprises. I used their Suzuki Jimny for two weeks last year driving across the country.

They don't seem to be replying to messages. Wild Rider is sold out. Adobe is very expensive. Any other suggestions would be great. I will buy the full insurance so that I can(hopefully) avoid any issues when the car is returned.

I ended up using Vamos car rental in Liberia. The company was about 30% cheaper than the big US companies and had no issues. Just buy the full insurance with any company. I had to take the only SUV they had which was a very small Mitsubishi. It made it through 10 days on the Nicoya but I will try to get a body on frame 4x4 next time. The roads are a terrible in a lot of places.

Vamos car rental has always been good to me - I have used to 9-10 times out of Liberia.
Adobe hands down

@gmand688 I agree Economy is terrible in many ways. Bad customer service especially.

Be prepared to deal with the fact that your car rental company may not have your car ready when you get there even though you have reserved it. They just aren't good at managing their cars...

Also even though it is very expensive, get full coverage on your car if you can afford it, because the roads are bad and the chances of your hitting a pothole and screwing something up are fairly high.

You can expect to pay about $400-500 a week for a 4 wheel drive. If you will be driving in the countryside, you should probably get a 4x4, especially in the rainy season.

Be aware that if your credit card is covering part of your insurance, read their terms very carefully. Because I was told by mine that they would not cover anything off-road. What does off-road mean? Off-road means it isn't on the map I was told. Well, which map? There are many small roads not on the map.