Home insurance

Hello guys,

i was wondering if there is home insurance in the dominican rep. If yes were can i get more information?

Yes there is. Any good broker can help you. Where are you located?

Located in canada. it will be for a villa that i am purchasing in punta cana

Ok. Once you have the villa  I can help you find someone in punta cana. If you want price ideas send. Me the info privately of value etc and I can get you some quotes.

Is there any information about what is being insured and the approximate prices for villas 100-200 sq m?

Insurance is based on value, type of insurance and of course all the add ons. Value depends very much on location.  Giving a "price" is not one size fits all.

Let me pull out my contents insurance and give you an idea!

Easy to find it just renewed. I paid just over $21,000 RD for a combo of 3,000,000 Rd contents cover with almost no deductible, water, flood, hurricane etc.  I have liability coverage as well. 

I do not own the home so I do not cover the building

Having property insurance may provide for a warm fuzzy feeling, but is the insurance company going to pay any substantial claims?  I think one needs to consider the cost of an attorney as well since you may have to file claims through your attorney. I am not stating any facts here, just saying you may need to expect a fight after the insurance company simply says "no we are not going to pay".

You need a good broker who not only sells a policy but also stands by you when needed!  That is the same for vehicle insurance, medical insurance, business insurance and home insurance! 

You never know how good either is until you have a claim but you hope it never happens!

We have friends who had quite a bit of damage from Hurricane Fiona in 2022. I don't know the reason, but their insurer denied their claim. They had to go to court and it took months to get any claims paid.

@planner  I am also in the market for home owners insurance in the punta cana area.  What specifics would you need to put me in contact with someone?

Just purchased a brand new condo. Any info on condo insurance would be helpful. Thank you

Condo insurance is based.on the value and the value of your contents.

Make sure that the association has insurance for the common areas etc!

@planner

i am buying a home and need property insurance. does anyone know a good broker that speaks English preferably

I can help you as needed