Diabetic care and the supply of medication

@Julien
Hi and thanks for letting me join the forum, my wife and I are hoping to retire to Spain, however being a type 1 diabetic I have concerns regarding diabetic care and the supply of medication since the brexit fiasco, does anyone know how the situation is with regard to diabetes for ex pats in spain.
@Julien
Hi and thanks for letting me join the forum, my wife and I are hoping to retire to Spain, however being a type 1 diabetic I have concerns regarding diabetic care and the supply of medication since the brexit fiasco, does anyone know how the situation is with regard to diabetes for ex pats in spain.
- @munnbarracuda

Hi munnbarracuda,

I am not diabetic however having working myself for many years as a physical therapist in the Health System, I know  that In most medical cases type1 diabetes' s treatment, medication and medical devices/equipmet  are fully covered or at least partly fully  covered by the 'National Health System of Spain' -' Sistema Nacional de Salud'- depending on every patient 's medical case, medical records or patient's personal health condition.

In order to be a beneficiary and have the chance to access to the whole medical coverage, you need to affiliate to the National Health System.

I invite you to visit and browse around the complete and accurate 'Healthcare in Spain' section here on the Expat guide / Europe / Spain / Health care, where surely you shall find the answer to most of your health affiliation' questions and concerns in advance before your arrival to Spain, and moreover specially with a life-threatening disorder/health condition as DM is.

There is an interesting site of a Diabetes Association located in Madrid where they have great tips and all sort of usefull information.

Also for your info and according to the Spanish healthcare statistics, 1 out of 7 patients in Spain is diabetic -without known it (1 third - are not diagnosed / treated up to the sum of total 30,3%-  This alarming sign puts Spain in the 2nd place of highest rate of diabetes patients in Europe with a 14.3% of total prevalence.

Hope you shall find everything you need.
We are all here on the Expat forum, more than pleased to help each other with other members's concerns.

take care

2665.svg

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com, munnbarracuda !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Spain forum so that you may better interact with members.

@ kittycat1, Thank you so much for your help, it is very much appreciated 1f64f.svg

All the best,
Bhavna

Hey there,

I am a type 1 and moved to Spain 6 years ago. Once you have your health card you can make an appointment with your doc, and tell them to write you a prescription of what you need. Also I suggest telling them to contact the local hospital so they can transfer you to the endocrinologist team.

the biggest and most difficult part is actually getting your health card. But once you have that you can get repeats.

hope that helps, best of luck

yamini xx

@kittycat1 I've just been asking the very same question re type 1 diabetes. I currently use the Libre 2 glucose monitor/ sensor but need to find locate info re cost if we move out to Spain.

Many thanks for your info 👍