Going to philippines after 3 years.

HI everybody,

I will be going to the Philippines in October to see my partner after 3 years of being separated, beyond excited, I'm just worried about what I need as far as covid is concerned, I'm fully vaccinated, do I need proof? Do I need to take a pci test?  Just a bit worried.

Is there anything else i need.

Hugely appreciate any info from people.in the know as I am receiving conflicting info.

Have a lovely day
HI everybody,

I will be going to the Philippines in October to see my partner after 3 years of being separated, beyond excited, I'm just worried about what I need as far as covid is concerned, I'm fully vaccinated, do I need proof? Do I need to take a pci test?  Just a bit worried.

Is there anything else i need.

Hugely appreciate any info from people.in the know as I am receiving conflicting info.

Have a lovely day
- @Paulcripps03

You can look at the Philippine Airline site for a full list of requirements. Most notable is that full vax is required and plus booster if you want to avoid quarantine and you will need to go online and do the One Health Pass by a specified number of days before you take your first leg of the trip. You probably know that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months and if you did not purchase round trip you will need to show an onward ticket. But check the PAL site as I haven't covered everything in enough detail here.

@Paulcripps03 I'm pretty sure travel anywhere still requires a PCR test..I'm not sure what a PCI test is.  At least you won't have to quarantine for 14 days at a hotel like I did..a total wast of time!  I can't say as to your PCR requirements as they seem to be different depending on where you're going and where you're coming from.  There are many websites online to get this information, including the airline that you decide to take.  Advice, for something this important, you really shouldn't be coming anywhere for requirements except for official websites.  Many people, on all different expat sites, give information that isn't correct or biased or they leave out crucial data, or it's just not factual.  Go to an official site and get this data.  It's ok to get advice here, but you should always do your  do diligence pertaining to research regarding situations like travel and such.  Good luck!

Whackerdog123 has given very good advise above. When I visited in May I needed a PCR Test taken within 48 hours prior to your departure, proof of vaccination, had to register for the One Health Pass and also had to have 6 months validity left on my passport and I believe that the passport must not be more than 10 years old. (Some people have a few months extra on due to when they last renewed). I also needed a return ticket and valid insurance covering covid.

The problem I had was that when I went, and it may be the same now (not sure), I went to Cagayan De Oro and there were additional entry requirements for going there. I remember having to download other apps, one was called Higala app. Nobody ever checked any of the additional apps that were required but they did check the One Health Pass.

I checked the Philippines official site and also the UK Foreign Office Travel advise site before going.

Just one more thing which may or may not apply to you. If you are travelling to Mindanao, a normal insurance policy covering covid will probably not be valid, should you need to make a claim. This is because a lot of countries, UK  included and I think the USA also have warnings about travel to Mindanao and if you travel against their advise the policy is not valid.
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

No PCR test required as of June 1. I came on June 3rd and all they asked for was the One Health pass, which gives you a QR code on your phone to show upon entry. They also asked to see my Vax card which surprised me because the info was already uploaded to One Health, but of course I had it.

So - One Health Pass (done a few days before your trip, and your VAX card. That's all AT THIS TIME.

As the others mentioned - keep checking official sites and/or the PI news sites. PAL did not update their website for almost a week so I would have had to get an expensive PCR test if I hadn't read the news.

As the others mentioned - keep checking official sites and/or the PI news sites. PAL did not update their website for almost a week so I would have had to get an expensive PCR test if I hadn't read the news.
-

@pnwcyclist The reason I mentioned PAL is because travelers have found discrepancies amongst phils govt agencies in reporting frequently updated requirements. There are akso discrepancies with PAL and the govt at times. But at least you know PAL is one who issues boarding passes and it is in their self-interest to get it right; they have an incentive to make it least likely that you will be deported back for non-compliance because they are subject to heavy fines and even return plane fare. So whatever the latest requirements actually are, observing PAL requirements is the one most likely to get you past immigration.  And June 1 vs June 3? It is June 1 measured as the starting date of the ticket which would be May 31 for a flight starting in NYC USA. So they would have to delay to June 2 phils time to show june 1 on the NYC ticket to bypass pcr test. Who knows.  I wouldn't let any discrepancy eliminate PAL as a good source of information...remember, they have to pay if they are wrong. Forvthat reasib, maybe a bit too conservative but I would prefer that instead of taking risks and getting denied entry.
Well I left on Delta on the 3rd, but my actual PAL flight was on the 4th from Honolulu. But no worries - it was all over the news - hard to miss that the requirement for testing had just been dropped. I  think PAL was just playing it safe, being conservative, as you say. In fact I almost got the test just for that same reason (to play it safe) but $200 is $200, haha. Due to my schedule and flight windows I was going to have to get the one with 12 hour results which is pricey.
@Paulcripps03
Hey Paul... I just arrived (3rd time since February) ... I waited 2 years also... Anyways...
You Need...

1) Return ticket within 30 days of arrival(They Did not ask for mine 3 days ago... but they "could" ask for that...

2) one health pass(google it)

3) your cdc vaccination card issued when you recieved the Vaccine showing 2 shots(fully vaccinated)

Also... A negative Pcr test WILL Be needed if you do not have 1 booster... Your airline should let you know...

4) passport

That's it.  Any questions shoot me message (+1) 509 366 3947

Dean Wellsfry

-

@pnwcyclist The reason I mentioned PAL is because travelers have found discrepancies amongst phils govt agencies in reporting frequently updated requirements. There are akso discrepancies with PAL and the govt at times. But at least you know PAL is one who issues boarding passes and it is in their self-interest to get it right; they have an incentive to make it least likely that you will be deported back for non-compliance because they are subject to heavy fines and even return plane fare. So whatever the latest requirements actually are, observing PAL requirements is the one most likely to get you past immigration.  And June 1 vs June 3? It is June 1 measured as the starting date of the ticket which would be May 31 for a flight starting in NYC USA. So they would have to delay to June 2 phils time to show june 1 on the NYC ticket to bypass pcr test. Who knows.  I wouldn't let any discrepancy eliminate PAL as a good source of information...remember, they have to pay if they are wrong. Forvthat reasib, maybe a bit too conservative but I would prefer that instead of taking risks and getting denied entry.
- @danfinn

'Clarity' this word does NOT exist in the Philippine language or the various sub variant dialects (sometimes I wish that they had adopted the language of their penultimate colonisers the Spanish - an exotic sounding diction that would match this exotic country.) I doubt whether 'simple' has a direct translation either.

So it is when dealing with Philippine Airlines. The last time I flew an international flight with PAL was Shanghai to Manila a few years ago. It was a 'Hobsons Choice' as no other carrier was on that route. 3 hours was just bearable but it was a daylight flight with good timings and of course within the same time zone. Never again if I can help it.

It is in the airlines interest to never let you board for the valid reasons pointed out above by Danfinn (I hope I got the number of 'N's correct and in the right order ;)) This effectively leaves the 'paying customer' - yeah remember that phrase? to pick up the tab if refused boarding. No insurance company will pay up and the airline is not obliged to give you a voucher for another flight. The UK's 'illustrious' national carrier British Airways has behaved abominably during the covid crisis and has done the bare minimum to make amends to travellers when adverse circumstances arise. Airlines the world over have shown their true colours and have alot to answer for.

I sympathise with our American friends Stateside whose choice of flying options are somewhat more restricted than Europeans. The bad news is its about to get worse. JetBlue have agreed a takeover of Spirit airlines based in Fort Lauderdale which will consolidate the industry further if approved by the Justice dept.
To address the OP's question directly I would refer to Jennifer Terry's Blog about travel to the Philippines. It was thanks to a poster (s) reference on this site that I became aware of her excellent advice. Thank you for that.

I was amused by pnwcyclist translation of  PAL - Plane Always Late - never heard that before but it made my day. Perhaps I can reciprocate with the Portuguese national carrier Airline: TAP - 'Take Another Plane' 1f923.svg
I also have had problems with Philippine Airlines, namely that they did not know the correct covid information for Vietnam when I was in the Philippines and stopping off in Vietnam on the way home.

Still if I had flown DELTA (Departing Even Later Than Anticipated) I may not have arrived yet. Also if I had flown with Canadian Airlines International when they were around (Crash and Ignite), I may not be hear to make these comments.
Love it 1f602.svg
Ha ha ha!  So funny..

@pnwcyclist The reason I mentioned PAL is because travelers have found discrepancies amongst phils govt agencies in reporting frequently updated requirements. There are akso discrepancies with PAL and the govt at times. But at least you know PAL is one who issues boarding passes and it is in their self-interest to get it right; they have an incentive to make it least likely that you will be deported back for non-compliance because they are subject to heavy fines and even return plane fare. So whatever the latest requirements actually are, observing PAL requirements is the one most likely to get you past immigration.  And June 1 vs June 3? It is June 1 measured as the starting date of the ticket which would be May 31 for a flight starting in NYC USA. So they would have to delay to June 2 phils time to show june 1 on the NYC ticket to bypass pcr test. Who knows.  I wouldn't let any discrepancy eliminate

'Clarity' this word does NOT exist in the Philippine language or the various sub variant dialects ...

I am always been interested in Bisaya language issues. For "clarity" they have the root word "tin-aw" which is an adjective meaning "clear" such as a "clear understanding". When combined with the connector "ka", we have the word "katin-aw" or free from obscurity and easy to understand. But in support of your point, I have never heard the word actually "used" here.  Now thst I have looked it up, I will use it in the future next time I run into a situation where I do not understand some rule or requirement. 😄 My wife did understand it as meaning "clear" or "clarify", not separating noun fron adjective from verb. That is what the connector ka apparently does, making it a noun. Sorry for boring those who are not interested in learning the languages here.

@danfinn I tried it on my Visayan wife and after she corrected my pronunciation she understood the meaning and gave me an example "ka tin-aw sa tubig", the water is very clear.

@Moon Dog Yes and it appears they can extend literal meanings into abstractions. So, 'the water is very clear' (literally clear) can use the same word for 'having a clear understanding' (clear in an abstract way). We often use the same words in English in that way but I am surprized to see that in Bisaya, which i earlier would have assumed to have two separate words for that.

@Paulcripps03 yes a big bank rooll

@Wellsfry .. Great info. I'll keep your number. I'm headed that way this November for the first time. Any input received would be appreciated. I'll text you soon. This post comes right on time for me.. Enjoy your visit.

@Wellsfry .. Great info. I'll keep your number. I'm headed that way this November for the first time. Any input received would be appreciated. I'll text you soon. This post comes right on time for me.. Enjoy your visit.
-@villr513

Oh snap. I can't see your number now. Hope l can find it. Can you email me if possible? [***]

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Paulcripps03

My Wife and I travelled from Germany-Ph last week.

All we needed was our Vaccination Certificates and the "One Health Pass" This you can apply for online 72 hours before departure.

The application form is not so easy to fill in, and you must be prepared to upload copies of your Vaccination Certificates.

If you are fully vaccinated, with at least One Booster. A PCR Test is not required.

Warning! Don't throw your Boarding Card Stub away. You will need it at the health Check before going through Immigration.

When we booked a flight from Manila to Bohol, we were told we needed an "S Pass"

which we also applied for Online on the same web site as the One Health Pass. But there were no checks in Tagbilaran Aitport. So the S Pass was a waste of time.

There was however a "Sniffer Dog" checking Hand Carry luggage.

Has the COVID health insurance requirement been dropped?

@philipperv

According to Jennifer Terri's website blog it has. But most decent travel insurance policies will cover it anyway

@Paulcripps03
My Wife and I travelled from Germany-Ph last week.
All we needed was our Vaccination Certificates and the "One Health Pass" This you can apply for online 72 hours before departure.
The application form is not so easy to fill in, and you must be prepared to upload copies of your Vaccination Certificates.
If you are fully vaccinated, with at least One Booster. A PCR Test is not required.
Warning! Don't throw your Boarding Card Stub away. You will need it at the health Check before going through Immigration.
When we booked a flight from Manila to Bohol, we were told we needed an "S Pass"
which we also applied for Online on the same web site as the One Health Pass. But there were no checks in Tagbilaran Aitport. So the S Pass was a waste of time.
There was however a "Sniffer Dog" checking Hand Carry luggage.
-@Rammers

Thanks for that update Rammers. Yes good point on the boarding card stub and often at Philippine airports arrival halls when exiting require you to show the stub that matches with your luggage. May I enquire which terminal you flew into? If it was T3 how long did the immigration take and was there a long queue for Taxi's?

'Clarity' this word does NOT exist in the Philippine language or the various sub variant dialects (sometimes I wish that they had adopted the language of their penultimate colonisers the Spanish - an exotic sounding diction that would match this exotic country.) I doubt whether 'simple' has a direct translation either.
So it is when dealing with Philippine Airlines. The last time I flew an international flight with PAL was Shanghai to Manila a few years ago. It was a 'Hobsons Choice' as no other carrier was on that route. 3 hours was just bearable but it was a daylight flight with good timings and of course within the same time zone. Never again if I can help it.

-@Lotus Eater

"Clarity" and "simple" do exist in Filipino. The Tagalog word for "clarity" is "kalinawan," like in the phrase "kalinawan ng isipan" which means "clarity of mind." The Tagalog word for "simple" is "payak," like in the phrase "payak na pamumuhay" which means "a simple way of life."

Language is an important part of the identity of a people. They lose their language, they lose part of their identity. When we view history of colonization by the Europeans, we should see it not just from a Eurocentric point of view, but also with an Asian-centric one.

How would you feel if you were in the following situation?

Imagine you were a farmer. You and your family live by the land which you inherited. Your harvest was for feeding yourself and your family, and whatever was excess, you trade for other goods with other people. But then, someone comes by and claims ownership of your land, basically stealing it from you. Then they order you to plant tobacco and sugar cane, crops which you can't eat directly. You do get money from selling the crops which you can use to buy food for your family. But it's not enough because the person who stole your land is also forcing you to sell your crops to them at a very cheap price. On top of that, they demanded that you pay a stiff tax. There's now very little left for your and your family to survive. It might not even be enough to survive on.

If that was not already bad enough, you need to do polo y servicio, or forced labor without pay for 40 days - building roads, mansions, buildings, boats, churches, etc. During this time, you cannot till your land while you're away. You cannot plant, or crops are going to die, or they will not be harvested on time. You're going to end up in debt because you just lost your income and don't have money to feed your family. You all end up as a slaves, considered as an inferior to those who stole your land. And your now masters are ingraining this feeling of inferiority in your mind.

You are also forced to accept Catholicism, otherwise, the person who stole your land will have you killed. To protect your children, you teach them that religion, and tell them it's the best thing ever that was imparted to them. And when you've passed away, that is what your children will also tell their children, and their children's children, including that it's a sin to use artificial birth control.

I think if the early Filipinos had a glimpse of what was going to happen to them in the future, they would not let the colonizers step on their shores alive. It's sad that the race of European countries then for which of them would be considered the most powerful in their quest for the 3G's - God, gold and glory has led to the oppression, and also death, not just physically but also culturally, of the people they colonized.

Very surprised to hear these comments/opinion from you FAM given world history and the nations subjugated from foreign powers over thousands of years and how the cr@p has been dealt with,,,, sometimes not and most times avoided no matter the country/nation. Simply look at Australian history with my indigenous cousins that roamed Australia for 60,000 years and lost the lot.

Not your normal level headed contributions.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

@FilAmericanMom writes, "When we view history of colonization by the Europeans, we should see it not just from a Eurocentric point of view, but also with an Asian-centric one. I think if the early Filipinos had a glimpse of what was going to happen to them in the future, they would not let the colonizers step on their shores alive.. FilAmericanMom

`

Your truly heart-felt thoughts FilAmericanMom, spoken from a Phils citizen's point of view, are absolutely correct.

So please ma'am, don't let anyone seemly shame you for expressing such honest heart-felt thoughts and feelings.

Indeed, it is we non-citizens whom should feel badly for what has happened to you guys, for 400 years, and still is.

And yet you guys, as a unique culture and having been treated so unfairly, still truly and very warmly welcome us. Sincere apologies, and thank you!

`

@Lotus Eater

Yas it was T3.

Immigration was very quick, because they now have priority lanes for Senior Citizens. No waiting at all. I don't know about other lanes.

We took a Grab Car. But there didn't seem to be a que for the Taxis, although, our flight was the only arrival at that Time, so the Terminal wasn't very busy.

PalawOne said. . . . . Indeed, it is we non-citizens whom should feel badly for what has happened to you guys, for 400 years, and still is.

And yet you guys, as a unique culture and having been treated so unfairly, still truly and very warmly welcome us. Sincere apologies, and thank you!

Sincere apologies? . . . . . give it a break . . . .

Since you are an Aussie . . . .  should Aussies pay Reparations to the original indigenous Aboriginal inhabitants?

Only an observation but are the Spanish paying restitution for 350 years of a use and abuse norm not only in the Philippines?

The British empire for all their misgivings? That includes Red Indians, the aboriginal inhabitants of Australia? And still perpetrated today no different to us Aussies (under a UK Monarchy the same as the US for 200 years) and always an ongoing problem no matter the country.

The Roman Empire?  The Greeks? The Vikings?

It's only my observation and I don't want to get into a cr@p fight but as is said? Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone or modern days, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob writes, "Sincere apologies? . . . . . give it a break. Since you are an Aussie should Aussies pay Reparations to the original indigenous Aboriginal inhabitants? -@Enzyte Bob

`

I'm pretty sure that's part of the plan, which includes a voice in Parliament 1f397.svg1f396.svg

Eg, The Hon Anthony Albanese, Prime Minister (for three months) writes,

https://anthonyalbanese.com.au/my-plan/ … ations-2  (Quote)

My Plan

First Nations

Starting with our commitment to implement the Uluru Statement from the Heart in full, an Albanese Labor Government will renew our national commitment to Reconciliation and work in genuine partnership with First Nations people for better outcomes. 

A Labor Government will: 

Implement the Uluru Statement in full – Voice, Treaty and Truth. 

Work towards Closing the Gap. 

Turn the tide on.. landmark justice reinvestment funding. 

Improve housing in remote Indigenous communities. 

Invest in First Nations management of land and waters. 

Strengthen First Nations economic and job opportunities.

--

-@Lotus Eater
"Clarity" and "simple" do exist in Filipino. The Tagalog word for "clarity" is "kalinawan," like in the phrase "kalinawan ng isipan" which means "clarity of mind." The Tagalog word for "simple" is "payak," like in the phrase "payak na pamumuhay" which means "a simple way of life."

Language is an important part of the identity of a people. They lose their language, they lose part of their identity. When we view history of colonization by the Europeans, we should see it not just from a Eurocentric point of view, but also with an Asian-centric one.

How would you feel if you were in the following situation?

Imagine you were a farmer. You and your family live by the land which you inherited. Your harvest was for feeding yourself and your family, and whatever was excess, you trade for other goods with other people. But then, someone comes by and claims ownership of your land, basically stealing it from you. Then they order you to plant tobacco and sugar cane, crops which you can't eat directly. You do get money from selling the crops which you can use to buy food for your family. But it's not enough because the person who stole your land is also forcing you to sell your crops to them at a very cheap price. On top of that, they demanded that you pay a stiff tax. There's now very little left for your and your family to survive. It might not even be enough to survive on.

If that was not already bad enough, you need to do polo y servicio, or forced labor without pay for 40 days - building roads, mansions, buildings, boats, churches, etc. During this time, you cannot till your land while you're away. You cannot plant, or crops are going to die, or they will not be harvested on time. You're going to end up in debt because you just lost your income and don't have money to feed your family. You all end up as a slaves, considered as an inferior to those who stole your land. And your now masters are ingraining this feeling of inferiority in your mind.

You are also forced to accept Catholicism, otherwise, the person who stole your land will have you killed. To protect your children, you teach them that religion, and tell them it's the best thing ever that was imparted to them. And when you've passed away, that is what your children will also tell their children, and their children's children, including that it's a sin to use artificial birth control.

I think if the early Filipinos had a glimpse of what was going to happen to them in the future, they would not let the colonizers step on their shores alive. It's sad that the race of European countries then for which of them would be considered the most powerful in their quest for the 3G's - God, gold and glory has led to the oppression, and also death, not just physically but also culturally, of the people they colonized.
-@FilAmericanMom

Omo....

Where were the local tribesmen/arrow shooters/stone throwers when the first shipload of <200 colonizers arrived by ship?....sadly there were non/nothing significant was well organized enough to defend themselves...most probably the local chief was too busy with his numerous cocubines (later to be bribed/intimidated by these same colonizers) whilst his own guards/hench men were mostly drunk after collecting taxes/bribes (which sadly still exists today) from these same poor villagers who did not know any better & could only stare in awe at the well built superbly crafted wooden armada that docked a few nautical miles from surigao & the very well dressed/groomed/equipped/smiling colonizers-to be first landed on their shores.

I did read the other day that from 12 September wearing a face mask outdoors is now voluntary in Davao. Not sure if the same applies elsewhere.

If fully vaccinated but without a booster shot, will the person be required to undergo quarantine?

If you've had the two vaccinations why would you not bother with the booster shot anyway? If in doubt play it safe. Here in the UK we are being given the 'posh' lol so called bivalent vaccine 2nd booster which gives some added protection for the Omicron strain of covid.

Yes just go get that extra booster shot (I got my Pfizer booster for free right here in my backwater province) & then also go get a disposable face mask & hang it around your neck if you want (Why risk getting screwed here ???) .

@manwonder

(Why risk getting screwed here ???) .

An unfortunate turn of phrase manwonder. That's why most guys come to the Philippines..

Good deal.  Will get one today.   I tried to get Booster shot 2x and both times they don't have it available but now that I'm planning for a trip, will get one at least.

For re-entry back to US, why does it require a PCR Test if Philippines carrier (e.g., PAL) only?   If for example, Delta, no need for PCR Test for re-entry.   I find it strange that PAL and the like are required a PCR Test while others are not.

"

Travelers between the United States and the Philippines traveling on a Philippine carrier will be required to wear masks in the terminal and for the duration of their flight.

Is a negative COVID-19 test (RT-PCR and/or serology) required for entry?  Yes.

"

https://ph.usembassy.gov/covid-19-and-t … formation/

+