Rent a car fraud in Ecuador (updating case)

2600.svgDear all!

Here is the story:

I comes here 3 month ago, due to situation in my native countrys: I'm from Russia (my Mom) and from Ukrain (my Dad).
So now I cant stay in any of thees countrys, and trying to find my place here - in Ecuador.

I'm an ecologist, and professional in environmental issues in mining. Now I trying to use my skills for the benefit of the nature of Ecuador: work on projects in nature-areas.

Due to my work - I need a car, so when I came here - I rented it from a rental company [Name of company moderated] (Quito).
Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the reviews on googlemaps and now - my critical-review is there too...

During the rental, the car broke down right in the middle of the road. The agency promised to give me a replacement, but instead they stole my money: the insurance deposit and the amount until the end of the month...

Now I'm looking for a lawyer, who can help me fight for my rights.

If someone faced similar situations, please share your experience and contacts.

Thanks!

1f3f5.svg1f340.svg

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Name of company removed to avoid any kind of potentially defamatory content. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
About the "fraud" allegation...

Many years ago I invested in a water development
startup in Reno .. and decided to file
a small-claims suit when the company's principal
could not be contacted.  He had promised to
buy back my shares, although that never happened.

He did show up in court, where the judge
more or less advised me to drop the
"fraud" allegation from my filing, since
it's so hard to prove.

I dropped the word, lost the case anyway,
and was out 3K (US) including court costs and
an attorney consult.

---

If you post again, OP Noni, please tell us what
financial damages you calculate in your case.

cccmedia
@cccmedia Total damage for me is about 3K usd now.
I'm new in Ecuador, and I do not know the legal practice of how the courts work here, so cannot assess the chances of winning.

They do this way each time, if cars broken due the rent (there are several similar reviews on the Internet). Look's that this rental agency knows, that court-process is long and costly for foreigners.
I'm going to try to finde a lawyer, who will take this case without prepayment, on the terms of post-payment from the collected funds. And if no one agrees, then there is practically no chance through official justice...

I have already filed a complaint with the Market Control Directorate. But it does not seem that they can somehow influence the situation. The rental company simply answered them that, according to the terms of the contract, disputes are resolved in court.

Are there any other places you can turn to? Tourist police etc.

1f340.svg
If the rental period is over and "contract
disputes are resolved in court," then that
is your potential recourse.

Find a lawyer who will take the
case on your terms .. and let us know
if you have any success in doing so.

cccmedia

@Nonifruit

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the car rental. I know a good lawyer in Cuenca. Although your needs do not fit into the area of law that he covers, he said if you contact him, he can refer you to a colleague in the same office who could probably help. His name is Rafael Arizaga Coellar and you can reach him at **** or ***** or email rarizaga.juridik@[link moderated]. Best of luck.

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : For security reasons, do not share phone numbers.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello GypsyJack,

Thanks for your help to @Nonifruit1f609.svg

I invite you to recommend the services of this lawyer on the  Lawyers in Ecuador section of the business directory so that anyone  who faces a similar issue may directly get in touch with him.

Thanks,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@GypsyJack

2600.svgThank you for sharing!

I found Rafael on facebook.

And allready in contact with him.

Very friendly and pleasant to deal with.

I will give here feedback on our communication.

1f340.svg

Part 2. (positioning)

Part 1. (begining) - here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 15#5488562).

Thanks 🙏 to the community for being so responsive. I had a series of consultations with lawyers ⚖️ who were recommended to me.

Here is my update (conclusion and resoning):

1. Such fraud schemes are widespread and (at first glance) this seems like a good opportunity for law firms to make money 💰.

1.1. Car rental customers are mostly tourists, they are an attractive victim 😱 (they are vulnerable): they don't have time ⏳, they don't know the language😶, they don't have local support 🫂.

1.2. Light research of reviews on web showed that just in Quito there are dozens of similar cases a year.

1.3. It looks easy to create a standard workflow and it will generate a steady flow of small orders (this will work for a while until rental-companies start losing money 💸 and stop 🚧 using these schemes).

But…

Why doesn't this happen and the scam continues?

2. There is no standard and effective way to protect 🪖 your rights if you caught by such a scam in Ecuador 🇪🇨

2.1. The only standard way to protect the rights of clients is the court ⚖️.

2.2. The trial in Ecuador will take from 8 to 16 months 🕰🕰 and its results are not predictable.

2.3. The cost 💸 of legal support of the judicial procedure starts from 1000 usd (and this is the minimum, does not include court-related payments and fees).

2.4. It is not possible to include legal costs in a claim. To do this, it is necessary to win the first case (for breach of contract) and only after that it is possible to initiate a second claim for reimbursement of costs.

So it's 2 consecutive lawsuits (times 🕰🕰🕰🕰 and costs 💸💸 are doubled).

2.5. The amount of costs for legal support is determined by the terms of the contract with lawyers. But in any case, it cannot exceed the amount of the entire claim and is accepted by the judge as a % of the total amount of damage (from the first claim).

Thus, due to the specifics of the litigation and the small amount of damage, it becomes impossible to receive a significant amount 💰💰💰 that will allow you to compensate for the time and resources spent.

🤷🏻‍♂️

What's the next plan 🔮🔭?

3. Bring the problem to light🔎

3.1. Prepare a list of organizations that can pay attention to such situations:

• Ministry of Production (Market Control Directorate)
  • Ministry of Tourism
  • Fiskalia
  • Tax office
  • Human Protection Office

(What else can you recommend?)

3.2. Find out how to file a complaint. Create request forms 📝 and roadmap of process.

3.3. Make the roadmap 🗺 (information about actions) available to people (social networks, news, thematic forums on the network etc…)

If the information and reports from tourists about such frauds 🤥 received in various departments, sooner or later a solution will be found

A significant part of the budget of Ecuador 🇪🇨 comes from tourism. Sure, that cases of mass tourists fraud will receive the necessary attention.

Over time, the number of victims may accumulate to prepare a class action lawsuit and it can also be filed against the government of Ecuador, which doe's not respond to cases of massive fraud.

I plan to continue to move 🐾🐾🐾 in this direction, and will publish updated information.

If you have any suggestions or advice, please text me!

Thank you for reading 🙏!

🍀

You may want to look at this page for the Ministerio de Tursimo which allows you to report on-line any complaints or anything unsatifactory.  It also gives office locations if you want to talk to them in person and phone numbers as well as an email address at the bottom of the page.

https://www.gob.ec/mintur/tramites/aten … xtranjeros

At the bottom of the page is the button for on-line complaints, "Ir al trámite en línea"

Hello everyone,

Please note that to better understand the above situation, I have merged the feedback and conclusion to this thread.

#8 and #9 have been added to this thread.

Regards,

Bhavna

I have asked for recommendations of reputable car rental companies on at least three occasions from this web site.

I was hoping to do business with a reputable company so the above or similar does not happen to me. All of my inquiries have gone unanswered.

I would be grateful for a recommendation. We will be renting a vehicle for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks in advance………

Jeff &Angie

@Jeff_Angie

I haven't read prior comments on this thread, but I haven't seen anyone griping about this rental car company on Gringo Post, but can't vouch for them because I don't drive.

https://cuencacarshare.com/

@Jeff_Angie My advice is to read reviews on g00gleMaps and T*iрAdviso* and especially critical ones. At a minimum, this will help to settle some of the companies.

As for the situation with the breakdown of the rental car (this can happen with any car) - you can try to discuss this nuance before renting. You are planning to rent for a long time and the company may be willing to finde compromiss. You can ask them to provide you with a letter of guarantee from the rental company. Let them write that in the event of a mechanical breakdown of the car during the rental process, they undertake to provide you with a replacement car within 24 hours or return the money, including the security deposit in full.