Information about how the educational system works in Cape Verde

Hello, my name is Victoria. I live in Spain and I work as an English teacher there. I would love to move to Cape Verde to become a language teacher there but I don't know how to proceed? Does anybody have information about how the educational system works in Cape Verde? Do I have to get a contract before flying?
Thank u in advance,
Vicky.
Hello Victoria Pavón Molero,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f603.svg

Your message had to be isolated to create a new discussion. So I moved it to the Cape Verde forum for more reach.

Why did you choose this destination? Is there any reason?

Feel free to tell us more about you. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
@Cheryl
I really love this country and the people. I think I can try my best with children in this beautiful and awesome country.

Hello, my name is Victoria. I live in Spain and I work as an English teacher there. I would love to move to Cape Verde to become a language teacher there but I don't know how to proceed? Does anybody have information about how the educational system works in Cape Verde? Do I have to get a contract before flying?
Thank u in advance,
Vicky.
- @Victoria Pavón Molero

Hello Victoria,

Coming to Cape Verde to teach English is not a good idea whatsoever.

In the private sector, there are already several schools that teach English, plus dozens of private individuals that already offer this service. However, there may be some islands where there are few to no services offered because the people cannot afford to pay for such services.

In the public sector, there are dozens of university students graduating from the English language course. You too will need to have a degree in English, plus you will need to be fluent in Portuguese in order to apply. When you apply, you will be one of hundreds of applicants seeking a teaching position. Only a few are selected. Those who are selected cannot choose which island or which school they will be located for teaching. Finally, the salary for a beginning public school teacher is €550 if you get through all the steps. This is barely enough to sustain a decent lifestyle here in Cape Verde.

If you want to live in Cape Verde as an expat, you need a professional job...but jobs here are few, you need to be fluent in Portuguese, and the unemployed local professionals (of which there are many) are given first preference.

So, if you don't have an independent source of income, you would either need to provide services to clients outside of Cape Verde, or you would need to start your own business in order to generate sufficient income to live in Cape Verde.

To answer your other question: no one needs a contract to come to Cape Verde to work. You must first enter Cape as a temporary visitor and you will be given a 30-day visa. Once you are inside Cape Verde you can work, start a business, or pursue whatever activity you wish. It is only after you find employment, start a business, enroll in university, etc that you can apply for a residency visa. You will be required to show proof that you are employed, enrolled or have registered a business in order to obtain the residency visa.

Cheers,

Angelo