Transfer of Residency - experience

I am working with Peter Morton removals to move my furniture over to Cyprus in September this year.  However, I am starting to find the process a little infuriating. As part of the move I have to do a Transfer of Residency for Customs, this is so I don't have to pay any Import duties or Tax on my goods. This is the part that I am starting to get p***ed off with.

As part of the process, I supplied proof of residency in the UK of my previous 2 years' Council tax bill and my energy bills for the last 12 months and a detailed list of all the items I am bringing with me. As well as details of our flights showing when we arrive.

So Far so good, so I thought. PM has come back to me and said Customs need a lot more than this and if I don't send it I will need to pay Tax and Import duty. They want the following:

6 months bank statements
P45 or P60 from my last employer
Income Tax details paid this year and last year
Details of selling my property in the UK
A Cypriot bank account (Opening an Account has to be done in Person)

To be honest I sort of understand immigration asking for this but Customs, really. This is all very private and confidential information that I don't want to be sent all over the place. I know we are in a post-Brexit world - (thanks remainer pri***s). What have other people's experiences been like moving stuff from the UK to Cyprus? 

Adding to my frustration is the need for a Cypriot utility bill to open a bank account an activity that needs to be done in Person.

Maybe one day Cyprus will embrace the 21st century and things like setting up electricity accounts or opening a bank account can be done remotely. Sorry for the rant.
Remainer pr*cks........ How strange that this is what brectums wanted yet those who didn't want it get blamed.

Anyway back to the issue....a good choice in Peter Morton a better outfit than his competitor in my opinion..he has a a very good reputation.

Did the movers not tell you all this before hand ... In this day and age of bank fraud. Identity theft and money laundering it makes perfect sense to open bank accounts in person with correct identity and proof you live here or intending to live here.

Immigration dept is a little easier but you will still need to provide similar documentation and it is all frustrating...  No matter which way you do it  and when you get to 5 years you get to go through it again with this time 5 years of proof for permanent depending on the route taken
Hi
I feel your pain and understand your frustration
We have recently moved our belongings to Cyprus with RSS Logistics and have had to go through the exact same process and provide all the information that you listed. This is indeed a government (customs) requirement and cannot be avoided or circumvented). My understanding is that it is used to help customs and establish firstly if you were living in the U.K. (bank statements to show normal spending patterns for bills food etc) and secondly that you are intending to permanently move to  Cyprus  ie P45, sale of U.K. residence etc. I guess their position is that they need evidence that you truly intend to live in Cyprus for the foreseeable future and are not just trying to avoid import duty with a view to make a profit on the imported items. My advice is to bite your lip and just give them what they ask for (as frustrating as that may be.
Thanks Tony

@anthonyfarrow  I am bitting my lip, but it's starting to bleed.

@Toon  The movers did tell me this, I just didn't expect the amount of intrusion into my private affairs.

Sorry forgot to mention that you can open a bank account when you move over as you won't receive your items until you personally visit the customs office (probably accompanied by a PM representative) so as long as the bank account is open before you attend then that would be fine
George it is what it is .... It was much easier for us back in 2008 and then again in 2014 We were not in a position to do the residency by investment and went through a lot of stuff again at 5 years (2019) not as painful as it seems but nevertheless it's what is required ...simple as that
@anthonyfarrow Got that one, I have my immigration appointment for the 10th of October. I arrive on the 28th of September, and I have a list of priorities - setup up utilities, open bank account, then my immigration appointment. How long does it take to get the "Pink Slip" after the immigration appointment?

Hopefully, it should go OK.  I think the key is PPaPPPP.  Anyway, anyone who comes out without a lot of planning are in trouble.

@Toon I know it is what is needed but it drives me to distraction. No matter we will get there we have 9 weeks to get everything sorted before we leave. The best thing I did was get my immigration appointment sorted out for just after I arrive as everyone is asking for that including the bank.

I believe the pink slip doesn't come quickly ....some have taken 5-6 months  ...and I even know of one couple who it took almost 12 months ...so be sure to keep your receipts given to you as evidence of attending the interview and making payment...

Maybe Tony can enlighten you

@Toon Thanks for that advice - I will make sure we keep everything

You can contact the Department by phone at the numbers listed in the 'Contact Us' or through their email address [email protected] . You can also check the progress of your application by a free SMS at 1199
Might be an idea to keep them with  you until the formal documents are in your possession.. or at least a digital copy on your phone if needed at a traffic stop or other official demand ... Like at airport or ports should you still need to do some travelling

@Toon more great advice

@Toon  I just realised my mistake I did not mean remainer Pr***s  I meant leave Pr***s.1f602.svg

@Toon  I just realised my mistake I did not mean remainer Pr***s  I meant leave Pr***s.1f602.svg

- @MacGeorge8035

Brexiteers, can't make a mistake with that.
Good luck going forward
I'am also applying for temporary/ Perminant PR residency but not selling my apartment in the UK, keeping it for when I need to go to the UK to see family and friends and anything serious I have to nip back quickly for. I understand the 3 month rule not to stay out of Cyprus or your Visa will be terminated.
Is this going to be a problem?
What happens if you have several properties?
I don't intend renting it out just leaving it empty like a lock up and leave holiday apartment. It's a nightmare getting through all this red tape!
It won't be a problem as long as you stick to the 90 day absence limit
It might be a problem getting my car through the Customs with not paying duty. They need to see that you intend to be perminent Resident in Cyprus and not trying to gain by not paying duty. Something I'll have to face when my car arrives at port I suppose.
Another thing trying to get a bank reference back in the UK is proving difficult. They will gladly print 6 months statements off and stamp them but not really interested on giving you a letter of introduction. Anybody else found this difficult. I've been told to write to Halifax bank head office and tell them exactly what you require!
In regards to multiple properties you as a non EU national (I assume) are not allowed to own more than one property each and it must be regarded as your main residence and further are not allowed to rent it out ...as it goes to the council of ministers in Nicosia they expect this to be followed...

The only way I know of getting round that stipulation is to set up a Cyprus based limited company and then register for taxes join the CTA get the licence and then pay their fees plus pay the appropriate amount of taxes on rental income
As for the car you will need to provide proof of immigration residency application and any related documentation proving intentions..

As McGeorge is finding out recently there is a lot to get through when bringing your belongings into cyprus Via the ToR1 form...
@Toon Has already been stated the list of documents is extensive.

I have had to provide the following to Customs

P45 from my last employer
Memorandum of sale of my property
6 months bank statements
Tickets for flights to Cyprus
List of all items being imported
Council Tax bills for the last two years
Utility bills for the last 12 months
Immigration appointment email

@timhuntington If you have not already done so you should get your immigration appointment sorted as soon as possible. There is a 3-month waiting list for an appointment. I used an intermediary as getting an appointment online yourself is difficult.

Good morning

I am in the same predicament.

Can anyone answer a simple question?

I now have my pink slip ( first one) can I now move my personal possessions and car to Cyprus) and avoid tax and vat.

I know I have to fill in the forms at the port etc and apply for permanent residency there but I won't be doing by buying a property just renting

I am so confused and worried that they will try and hit me for vat etc

Anyone had any recent experience??

Thanks

I dont see why not..pink slip is a temporary residency permit... You can do that for 5years then you can apply for permanent residency and don't need to buy or own property

Thanks for the reply

They say you can only get relief from charges for up to 12 months when you import goods.

So is it a rolling 12 until the 5 years have passed.

I have asked lots of people regarding this even at customs but nobody will come back with an definitive answer.

I would imagine lots do this .

You don't pay taxes on your own belongings under Transfer of Residency.. just be wary of bringing brand new stuff .. . MacGeorge and Phil draper I think have been through this recently..

You can understand an issue if bringing new stuff in as theyd suspect profiteering

@Toon

Hi

Yes no its all my stuff I've had for years.

Including the car (which is under 5 years)

I've been reading the previous posts and must admit its all a lot more difficult and stressful than I ever imagined

Just find it difficult to get direct answers I've spoken to Customs and immigration regarding these issues and they just push me back and forth

I understand its like this throughout the world

Sadly its the way it is here.. Both Phil and George have had recent first hand experiences of it all .. and it's frustrating probably unnecessarily complicated.... And a lengthy process.....

The pushing back is a fact of life here too. They probably don't know or are unsure ot can't be bothered to find out whilst you are in front of them requiring you to go away and go back another day then they remember you need something else as well.

@Toon

Yes you are completely right.

I am sat in UK right now only come back for three weeks to sort my life out and to be honest I am wondering if its worth the hassle.

The pink slip process was OK I suppose but now its a life changing time

And its got to be right as there are a good few thousand of euros at stake!

I am sure it will be ok in the end !

Am sure Phil and George will respond at some stage.... Personally I think it's worth it ...albeit we didn't have to comply with the latest requirements as we came here in 2014 .... We still love it