Marriage in Vietnam

I'm supposed to get married in Vietnam because they would not let my fiancée into the US. After 2 years. What paperwork do I need to get married in Vietnam, I'm trying to retire there next year.
I'm supposed to get married in Vietnam because they would not let my fiancée into the US. After 2 years. What paperwork do I need to get married in Vietnam, I'm trying to retire there next year.
- @Thanh6161

Search on Google, there are many sites related to this. You can also search this forum.
Check us consulate website for marriage info.
We used an agent friend. Very helpful.
We also had a quiet wedding.  Background instrumental music and No Karaoke!!
Family of all ages travel to wedding and bring $$, yet too loud to have a decent conversations with old friends.

Spoke with other USA people that married here in VN.  Seems everyone had different documents and interview hoops to jump through.
Family of all ages travel to wedding and bring $$, yet too loud to have a decent conversations with old friends.

Spoke with other USA people that married here in VN.  Seems everyone had different documents and interview hoops to jump through.
- @jcsaunders

Different provinces/Huyens have different requirements, thats why they would have had different paperwork.

- @jcsaunders

Different provinces/Huyens have different requirements, thats why they would have had different paperwork.
- @colinoscapee
That advice from Colin is the best answer.

Don't start with your embassy/consulate, even though they have a lot of good information.

Start with the home province of your fiancée.

It should be the province where her "family book" is located.

In almost all circumstances, that's where your completed paperwork will need to be filed.

My fiancée couldn't get the information over the phone.

Quảng Ngãi province requires the future bride OR a member of her family to appear in person at the People's Committee and inquire about documents required.

Once you know the requirements for your fiancée's home province, you can then focus on only the necessary documents.

I (we) just completed the paperwork last week, for my fiancée's home province, Quảng Ngãi.

They only need:

1. Bilingual statement of Single Status, notarized by the foreigner's embassy/consulate, with THAT notarization certified as authentic by the Vietnam office of Foreign Affairs. No further translation required.

2. Mental Health exam which is already prepared in the Vietnamese language and doesn't require further notarization or translation.

3. Notarized photocopy of passport info page (by your consulate/embassy) with further notarization by the Vietnam Office of Foreign Affairs and translation (they can do both the notarization and the translation in the same office).

If you get married in HCMC, the requirements are more complicated, my lawyer there tells me.

We've also prepared passport and ID card sized photos for the marriage application, because we are uncertain if those are required (based on the information her sister got from the Quảng Ngãi People's Committee).

When WE did the mental health exam in Ho Chi Minh City, the forms we prepared had places for passport-size photos on one form, but ID card size photos on the other form.

So even though they just told us to get the passport size photos, we had the passport photo photographer print out both sizes with many extras so we will have whatever we need as the process continues on August 4th in Quảng Ngãi.

You can also check with a consulate or the embassy of Vietnam in your home country, to see about having them certify documents you had prepared there, but in my experience, it was much easier (for me) to bring everything to HCMC and have the US Consulate and the Vietnam Foreign Affairs office notarize everything.

Two other things:

1. The consulate/embassy of Vietnam in your home country does have a procedure where you can give power of attorney to your fiancée so she can complete the application in her home province in Vietnam, with paperwork you provide (further info on their websites).

2. The US Consulate will notarize anything but certify nothing.

However, if you have a document notarized by your consulate/embassy, that seems to make a difference to Vietnamese officials, based on anecdotal stories.

So, I have one additional document from my home county in California: A report of "no marriage record found", certified as official by the county clerk's office.

I then sent that to the California Secretary of State's office in Sacramento, where they attached their own "apostille" certification.

Vietnam is not a member of The Hague Convention, so by itself, that apostille is meaningless, and the US Consulate/Embassy will not certify that as an authentic document from the Secretary of State of your home state/province.

Many people use the consulate/embassy of Vietnam in their home country to certify the apostille document as being a valid document from that state/province.

However, I took my document with California apostille into the US Consulate in HCMC, and they provided me a notarization form where I named the document and declared it's source to be authentic.

They notarized THAT notarization form attached to the original document with apostille.

I then presented THAT package to the Vietnam Office of Foreign Affairs, where they notarized the consulate notarization AND provided a full translation of all 3 documents (the county clerk's certification, the California state apostille AND the US Consulate notarization).

Although the Vietnam Office of Foreign Affairs agrees with us that Quảng Ngãi almost certainly doesn't need any of that, they also agree that IF some official asks for it, it's now properly prepared.

In all I paid about $65.00 USD for the consulate and Vietnamese notarizations/translations, in addition to fees paid for the other documents, but it seemed like a good insurance policy to have when far away in Quảng Ngãi province.

Good luck with the process and your future marriage.

O.B.
Vietnam Advisor
Expat.com team
OB,

Everyone here already knows I'm mak-mak,...  what do I do bout that,....Geeze oh man.

We are planning to get married 'again' in Kim's home town/province in September. We married in San Diego, w fiancé visa for her in 2015. So, wonder what they will do bout all that.  We have all the stuff from that go around.  We'll see.
1f917.svg
Mac.
OB,

Everyone here already knows I'm mak-mak,...  what do I do bout that,....Geeze oh man.

We are planning to get married 'again' in Kim's home town/province in September. We married in San Diego, w fiancé visa for her in 2015. So, wonder what they will do bout all that.  We have all the stuff from that go around.  We'll see.
1f917.svg
Mac.
- @Mac68
Hey Mac,

I've heard somewhere (I apologize but I can't quote the source) that some official documents are not useful when they are older than six months...

O.B.
Ask your fiancée, if she want to get married then she will know what to do :-)

@jcsaunders Thanks

@colinoscapee Okay Thanks.

@OceanBeach92107 Thanks.

OB,

1f917.svg
Mac.
- @Mac68
Hey Mac,

I've heard somewhere (I apologize but I can't quote the source) that some official documents are not useful when they are older than six months...

O.B.
- @OceanBeach92107
Thanks OB, we were just discussing the same thing. So, after we finish our other business in HCMC, we'll t/w consulates here. Or are you talking about is my mak-mak situation official?
Mac.
OB,

1f917.svg
Mac.
- @Mac68
Hey Mac,

O.B.
- @OceanBeach92107
Thanks OB, we were just discussing the same thing. So, after we finish our other business in HCMC, we'll t/w consulates here. Or are you talking about is my mak-mak situation official?
Mac.
- @Mac68
I'm clueless as to what mak-mak means
OB,
nuts!
OB,
nuts!
- @Mac68

1f602.svg
@OceanBeach92107

Yes...You are correct on that comment....any thing older than 6 months is a usual..."Not good now".  Has happened to me even here in DaNang.  I see the Passport in most cases now do not need to be 'notorized/certified by VN any longer...just a copy and visual of real one...read this a couple days ago.
What OB has stated sounds solid...each district requires a different set of documents/rules.  Best bet is start out as noted with her home town requirements...and go from there...I've never had any dealings with the US Embassy or Consulate regarding 'marriage'.  We are not headed to the US any time in the near future...so not important.
OB,

1f917.svg
Mac.
- @Mac68
Hey Mac,

O.B. the reasons for marrying 'again' in her hometown are sentimental, and her  family name is not on on marriage certificate, only my family last name. We are both concerned about property purchases, maybe if we (she) sells later. Of course on the deed or ROU , is in her family name. Not really sure if it is a concern, just asking.
Mac

O.B.
- @OceanBeach92107
Mac.
- @Mac68
I'm clueless as to what mak-mak means
- @OceanBeach92107
What OB has stated sounds solid...each district requires a different set of documents/rules.  Best bet is start out as noted with her home town requirements...and go from there...I've never had any dealings with the US Embassy or Consulate regarding 'marriage'.  We are not headed to the US any time in the near future...so not important.
- @Anthony Stephen

The reasons to be in contact with the consulate are only before the fact for the notarization of documents so the the Vietnamese will certify them.   Technically the consulate does not notarize the document but notarizes your attestation that the document is real or genuine.   They have a sample of the needed wording there.  This seems to be enough for the Vietnamese authorities.

There is no need to contact the consulate after the marriage.   The consulate has a list of documents on their website.   I may be wrong but I have never heard of provincial authorities requiring additional documents.  It's usually fewer, so it may be a little more work but if you cover everything on the consulate list, you should be good to go.  I might add, and it seems OB is now aware, it is a lot easier to certify your documents when in Vietnam than it is in your home country, and of course it is the only way if your country does not have a Viet Embassy.   Just be sure you bring all that you will need.
Things must be different for Americans. I never had to go to Foreign Affairs, I went to my consulate for the required paperwork and that's it. The rest was all done in VN, fairly simple process but time consuming due to the speed at which govt officials work.
I solved that problem this year…too many paper to fill and doctor mental appointment so we go married in my home country canada. $540 and every papers handles by internet and just showed up for a 10 minutes ceremony and bingo job done and have a canadian marriage certificate that is more accepted by vietnam authorities now i was lucky also because my fiancée had a canadian visa to get into canada for the marriage
Things must be different for Americans. I never had to go to Foreign Affairs, I went to my consulate for the required paperwork and that's it. The rest was all done in VN, fairly simple process but time consuming due to the speed at which govt officials work.
- @colinoscapee
US citizens only need to go to FSC if they have a document notarized by the embassy/consulate.

There is always the chance, I suppose, that the people's committee in an individual province will accept a consular notarization at face value, but it's good insurance to get the FSC to further notarize the signature of the embassy/consulate official.
I solved that problem this year…... i was lucky also because my fiancée had a canadian visa to get into canada for the marriage
- @SergGugu
Respectfully, THAT'S what solved your problem.

You might not be aware how difficult it is for the average Vietnamese citizen to get a visa in many countries.

- @jcsaunders

- @colinoscapee

Don't start with your embassy/consulate, even though they have a lot of good information.

In almost all circumstances, that's where your completed paperwork will need to be filed.

Quảng Ngãi province requires the future bride OR a member of her family to appear in person at the People's Committee and inquire about documents required.

Once you know the requirements for your fiancée's home province, you can then focus on only the necessary documents.

I (we) just completed the paperwork last week, for my fiancée's home province, Quảng Ngãi.

They only need:

1. Bilingual statement of Single Status, notarized by the foreigner's embassy/consulate, with THAT notarization certified as authentic by the Vietnam office of Foreign Affairs. No further translation required.

2. Mental Health exam which is already prepared in the Vietnamese language and doesn't require further notarization or translation.

3. Notarized photocopy of passport info page (by your consulate/embassy) with further notarization by the Vietnam Office of Foreign Affairs and translation (they can do both the notarization and the translation in the same office).

If you get married in HCMC, the requirements are more complicated, my lawyer there tells me.

We've also prepared passport and ID card sized photos for the marriage application, because we are uncertain if those are required (based on the information her sister got from the Quảng Ngãi People's Committee).

When WE did the mental health exam in Ho Chi Minh City, the forms we prepared had places for passport-size photos on one form, but ID card size photos on the other form.

So even though they just told us to get the passport size photos, we had the passport photo photographer print out both sizes with many extras so we will have whatever we need as the process continues on August 4th in Quảng Ngãi.

You can also check with a consulate or the embassy of Vietnam in your home country, to see about having them certify documents you had prepared there, but in my experience, it was much easier (for me) to bring everything to HCMC and have the US Consulate and the Vietnam Foreign Affairs office notarize everything.

Two other things:

1. The consulate/embassy of Vietnam in your home country does have a procedure where you can give power of attorney to your fiancée so she can complete the application in her home province in Vietnam, with paperwork you provide (further info on their websites).

However, if you have a document notarized by your consulate/embassy, that seems to make a difference to Vietnamese officials, based on anecdotal stories.

So, I have one additional document from my home county in California: A report of "no marriage record found", certified as official by the county clerk's office.

I then sent that to the California Secretary of State's office in Sacramento, where they attached their own "apostille" certification.

Vietnam is not a member of The Hague Convention, so by itself, that apostille is meaningless, and the US Consulate/Embassy will not certify that as an authentic document from the Secretary of State of your home state/province.

Many people use the consulate/embassy of Vietnam in their home country to certify the apostille document as being a valid document from that state/province.

However, I took my document with California apostille into the US Consulate in HCMC, and they provided me a notarization form where I named the document and declared it's source to be authentic.

They notarized THAT notarization form attached to the original document with apostille.

I then presented THAT package to the Vietnam Office of Foreign Affairs, where they notarized the consulate notarization AND provided a full translation of all 3 documents (the county clerk's certification, the California state apostille AND the US Consulate notarization).

Although the Vietnam Office of Foreign Affairs agrees with us that Quảng Ngãi almost certainly doesn't need any of that, they also agree that IF some official asks for it, it's now properly prepared.

In all I paid about $65.00 USD for the consulate and Vietnamese notarizations/translations, in addition to fees paid for the other documents, but it seemed like a good insurance policy to have when far away in Quảng Ngãi province.

O.B.
Vietnam Advisor
Expat.com team
- @OceanBeach92107
UPDATE:

We filed our application today in Quảng Ngãi province, and I received a compliment from the person who accepted it.

She said it was surprising to see no errors and everything notarized and translated properly.

She further remarked that most foreigners submit paperwork with errors and missing required elements, even after the usually consult a lawyer.

I did mention that I had received my HCMC attorney's ok before submitting it 😎

Also, I had told my fiancée not to show them the certificate of "no marriage record found" in San Diego, California, but she handed it to the lady along with the necessary paperwork.

Before I could say anything, the woman took a quick look at it and said that she didn't need it.
@OceanBeach92107
Now, now OB. No making eyes at the nice lady .
Elsewise, you could be in for... cắt, cắt, cắt

;)
@OceanBeach92107
Thanks for the detailed information. I will post my experience later this month.

Check us consulate website for marriage info. We used an agent friend. Very helpful.We also had a quiet wedding. Background instrumental music and No Karaoke!! Family of all ages travel to wedding and bring $$, yet too loud to have a decent conversations with old friends.
Spoke with other USA people that married here in VN. Seems everyone had different documents and interview hoops to jump through. - @jcsaunders

Different provinces/Huyens have different requirements, thats why they would have had different paperwork. - @colinoscapee
They only need:
Two other things:
O.B.Vietnam AdvisorExpat.com team - @OceanBeach92107
UPDATE:
We filed our application today in Quảng Ngãi province, and I received a compliment from the person who accepted it.
She said it was surprising to see no errors and everything notarized and translated properly.
She further remarked that most foreigners submit paperwork with errors and missing required elements, even after the usually consult a lawyer.
I did mention that I had received my HCMC attorney's ok before submitting it 😎
Also, I had told my fiancée not to show them the certificate of "no marriage record found" in San Diego, California, but she handed it to the lady along with the necessary paperwork.
Before I could say anything, the woman took a quick look at it and said that she didn't need it.
-@OceanBeach92107

We signed our official documents this afternoon at the People's Committee in Quảng Ngãi.

Our marriage is official.

This is where THIGV has previously added some good and helpful information about the marriage documents and copies, so I hope he'll do that (he knows official document titles, etc).

Anyone reading this thread having additional questions, please post them here.

I don't have the ability to advise on the subject in private messages.

Cheers!

O.B.

(husband of a Vietnamese citizen)

We signed our official documents this afternoon at the People's Committee in Quảng Ngãi.

O.B.

-@OceanBeach92107

Congrats Mr & Mrs 1f46b.svgO.1f48d.svgB.1f389.svg

O.B.

-@OceanBeach92107

Congrats Mr & Mrs 1f46b.svgO.1f48d.svgB.1f389.svg
-@gobot

YES< CONGRATULATIONS MRS, AND MR. O.B.

Geez, ya did well ya'll

KimMAc

Congratulations!

Warm congratulations to you and your wife, OB 1f917.svg

@OceanBeach92107 Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Congrats OB!

Congratulations to you both, sir.

May you bask in the warmth of each others love for years to come.

Congratulations OB! 1f60d.svg

I wish you a happy married life. 1f495.svg

Another one bites the dust ... but seriously ... congrats on tying the knot ... have a great hunnymoon!

-@Thanh6161

One thing nobody mentioned is that if you are divorced, bring a certified and translated copy of your divorce papers from the court. It was a requirement 7 years ago when marriages were handled at the federal level, I don't know about now that they do them at the local level.

-@Thanh6161

One thing nobody mentioned is that if you are divorced, bring a certified and translated copy of your divorce papers from the court. It was a requirement 7 years ago when marriages were handled at the federal level, I don't know about now that they do them at the local level.
-@gobot

Yes bring a certified copy of divorce decree. Take to US Embassy/consulate to be certified then to the VN government to be accepted. The divorce decree must also be translated into Vietnamese.

In USA marriage and divorce has always been a state function not federal.