and its nightlife and partying scenes, as well as
ranking first for community spirit.

Time Out notes that there are plenty of
"design-forward boutique hotels popping up
all over the city, showcasing impressive
Colombian craftsmanship."

cccmedia in Medellín

The survey results were reported at dailymail.co.uk

@cccmedia … Out of a global population of more than 7 billion, I would question whether the sample size of 20,000 is representative / meaningful. Medellín definitely wins on weather.

Chicago number two?  If ranked by unsolved murders per weekend it is far and away the number one in the world.  I would be ashamed to publish anything about such a stupid poll.
@Laker4115 Seconded. Besides, I've learned to never take these "lists" seriously. Especially when they don't break things down by metrics AND offer SPECIFIC PERSONAL stories AS WELL (those 2 types of data go hand-in-hand, to better inform prospective travelers).

Case in point - 99% of travel websites keep talking about the weather. Personally? As long as it's not like Daily Torrential Flooding or Daily Sahara-like conditions, I could give two s*** about "eternal spring".

For example, what good is "great weather" if a person isn't necessarily the "wild outdoors" type, but is seeking genuine human interaction and some sort of community? What good is weather then?

Conversely - wealthy people who move to places like Colombia, buy an awesome loaded SUV, and cruise around wherever the roads allow them... these people aren't gonna be much affected by weather either.

Sorry to sound like a rant, but this constant talk about "great weather!" while forgetting that different people have different priorities... kinda grinds my gear a little 1f605.svg
Ranking Chicago as the world's 2nd most liveable city is laughable. If you have to go to Chicago, be sure to take your bullet proof vest.
Yeah well I still think it's nice to see and better than yesterday. Hope to see more of these
Hey, Laker, can a guy just report the news without you
attempting to personally shame him?
@Chine .. most Expats put more stock in a place's weather than you do.

Weather is a determinant in how much quality time can be spent
outdoors interacting with others and enjoying sports as a participant
or a spectator.

Foul weather may have more impact than you think -- my sister lived
in Ashland, Oregon, for years before the gray winters and
smokey summers chased her away.

Places like Bangkok and Santa Marta, Colombia, are enjoyable to visit ..
but the continual heat will never permit them to be year-round homes
to most Expats.

cccmedia in Medellín

@cccmedia I totally understand. "DIfferent strokes for different folks", I guess 👍🏾

Being from Chicago...there is no way it's No2...

Probably a paid advertisement....

@mtbe You mean the weather in Chicago is not the second best in the world?

Chicago has been known as the Second City for
over a century.

As some of you no doubt know, the comedy
troupe Second City (in Chicago) kickstarted
the careers of Bill Murray, Tina Fey,
Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert and many others.

The Time Out survey confirms that Chicago --
warts and all -- is still widely considered
the Second City.

cccmedia
I used to live in Chicago, many years ago for a period of five years, and it really was a great city to live in and raise a family.  That period has LONG gone.  Under a series of incompetent corrupt mayors like Lori Lightbrain, Chicago has become another dangerous hell hole best known for the number of killed and wounded each weekend.  The only way that a survey could call it the second best city in the world to live in is if some important money was paid to the people doing the survey or if it is dated fifty years ago and even then the weather was not the best.
Lori Lightfoot (b. 1962) is the current Mayor of Chicago.
She is a Democrat serving since 2019 as the Windy City's
56th Mayor.

She is an LGBT Black woman.  Calling her "Lightbrain"
potentially could be seen as a racist and/or homophobic
comment.

cccmedia
member, Expat.com experts team

@cccmedia I am not up-to-date on Lori Lightweights sexual preferences, you seem to know more about that than I, but regardless of her race she is governing like a total moron.  Most blacks and whites in Chicago would be in agreement on that, so you should not become so hysterical about my comments.