Driving licence

I would be interested in knowing if anyone here has tried to exchange an American or Canadian driving licence for a Finnish one. Specifically, I'd like to know if they require residency permits, and proof of address documents before you can apply for the licence. Thanks.

Hi Wicked,

See this page for more information on exchange your driver's license:

http://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/ … endocument

Best of luck!

At least i know for sure that American and Chinese driving license is not acceptable in Finland for sure. In police they can tell you which country license are acceptable.

Well I recently submitted my Indian license for getting a Finnish one.
First you have to get a Health Check up done and submit that with your application.
Then you go to the office and submit a copy of the Dr.s certificate with the forms that you get there. They also take ur current license and the guy told me it would take at least 6 months to get my Finnish one.
Once you get a Finnish one, you have to surrender your current country's license till u retain the Finnish one.
There is also a form there which you have to get signed from 2 Finnish citizens, the form basically states that they know and can state that they have seen you driving a car in Finland for the last 6 months.

The form does ask for your Social Id no:, which if you are not a resident I guess you will not have.
And if you have recently got your residential permit, then you have to wait at least 6 months before you can apply for the Finnish one.

Hope this helps.