Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to relocate from India to Kuala Lumpur. I have been offered a monthly package of RM 12K (before taxes). I believe that the taxes are pretty steep in Malaysia and if I am not mistaken I will have to shell out income tax at flat 30%!!!!

Considering that I would be moving there with my family (wife and a kid, which is expected to come in the world by this month end), do you believe that this package is a good deal? (I have a package of INR 19,06,000 in India.)

Moreover, I would like to know how much would be the average rent for a furnished house in Kuala Lumpur?

I would really appreciate a quick response as I am supposed to accept or decline the offer in the next 48 hours!!! Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers!!!

Yea, the package is highly enough to see you through each month. But then, you must know that the sufficiency or insufficiency of your income regardless of the amount depends, by and large, on your shrewdness and manner of spending. Wishing you a safe trip to Malaysia.

Thanks for your response Okwudili. Much appreciated. Ya, I understand that it largely depends on the kind of lifestyle one chooses to lead. I am not a big spender so it should be okay. However, I would like to understand that will RM 8400 (after deducting 30% tax on RM 12000) be sufficient for a family of three? I must say that I am surprised by the high taxes in Malaysia.

What may be the rent of a furnished house 2 bedroom in Kuala Lumpur?

well as far as i know about malaysia, i think the package is gd and if u even lead a normal life u can save upto 5k rm.

gd luck

Thanks a lot Kingali....this is definitely helpful.

For a professional, 12K is quite good but not considered as high...still, many malaysian earns less than that and yet survived.

Generally, the cost of living in malaysia is not expensive (unless u opt for frequent fine dining, expensive car & stay in porsch area).

To be prudent, i think u can comfortably save RM2.5k monthly.

The price of an apartment especially in the Cheras area of where I live is about 1500 MR as an initial deposit. Thereafter,you make a monthly payment of about 600 MR. I have no idea about well furnished apartments. You can buy furniture yourself. It is not that costly. Wishing you a safe trip when the time comes.

Colonel, how many yrs of experience do u have, and which indstury / domain you work in?

Hi Colonel,

I guess your salary is quite high to compare with other Malaysian. With 8400 per month u can actually rent a apartment with 3 rooms fully/half furnished which cost you around 900-1200. May I know how your working place? If it's nearby to public transport, it's better for u to use it cos traffic jammed in Malaysia is quite massive it will cost you expensive fuel cost.

Hi Vinayak, apologies for the delay in response. Have been travelling. I have 8 years of experience and i am a management consultant.

Hi Blondeyes, thanks a ton. Thats extremely useful information. Much appreciated

11k gross = 9.4k net per month tax isnt 30% flatv rate!. thew main issue is school fees, are they paid by your co?

Thanks conface, thanks for the information. It is extremely useful

colonel_2005 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to relocate from India to Kuala Lumpur. I have been offered a monthly package of RM 12K (before taxes). I believe that the taxes are pretty steep in Malaysia and if I am not mistaken I will have to shell out income tax at flat 30%!!!!

Considering that I would be moving there with my family (wife and a kid, which is expected to come in the world by this month end), do you believe that this package is a good deal? (I have a package of INR 19,06,000 in India.)

Moreover, I would like to know how much would be the average rent for a furnished house in Kuala Lumpur?

I would really appreciate a quick response as I am supposed to accept or decline the offer in the next 48 hours!!! Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers!!!

Hi Colonel,

warm wishes.

There is a huge confusion over the tax rates. If you are a tax resident - then the tiered tax sytem will apply. For the first Rm 100K  - the tax is RM 14K++ the it is 26% flat for the surplus.

Please visit www.hasil.gov.my and on the Links tab - click tax rates.

you can rent a decent fully furnished place for under RM 2K.

but as nemodot said - your biggest cost would be school fees.

hope this helps.

cheers,

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but jz to share with you all.

I used to live in Bangsar and it was a great place with all the meals and hangout places. But because I was once a victim of a snatch thief, I decided to move elsewhere.

Anyway, I now live in Mont Kiara (which is very near to Bangsar & Desa Park City). So, jz wanna share my experience living here in MK. It is a cozy place to live in. Plus, I feel safe living ard here and was told that the new palace is up and coming very soon.

Also because I was introduced to a lawyer who actually helped me in buying the condo in MK. Without his assistance, I'd not be able to complete the purchase of my condo so fast.

So, happy living in KL and if any of you wanna meet up, kindly email me at [email protected]. Gud day mate!!!!!

Regards,
Warren