Looking for an apartment to buy this year (off plan)

Hey, my name is Rick and I'm thinking of settling down in Ho Chi Minh (District 9). I will retire with me Korean wife in about 3 years, and I'm looking for an apartment to buy this year (off plan). Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting on Expats. Cheers!
Research the developer as best you can.  You don't want to end up in one of the many apartment buildings that get started and never finished.  They end up with 60-80% of the money and you have nothing.

Hey, my name is Rick and I'm thinking of settling down in Ho Chi Minh (District 9). I will retire with me Korean wife in about 3 years, and I'm looking for an apartment to buy this year (off plan). Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting on Expats. Cheers!
- @rdubois44

Hi Rick. Fellow Canadian here.
Have you seen this post by forum advisor oceanbeach?

Perhaps you are already aware of this but there is, currently, no retirement visa for Vietnam.

"Compared with the ease of retirement in Thailand when you were there, you will find it next to impossible to retire in Vietnam without a legal job, a Vietnamese wife or a lot of money to invest in business.
However, we have a number of forum members who have been able to string together many, many tourist visas and essentially remain in Vietnam for as long as a decade or more.
As long as you don't mind exiting the country for border runs and reentering multiple times during the year, that is a possibility.
" @Oceanbeach

- @rdubois44

[link under review] by forum advisor oceanbeach?

Perhaps you are already aware of this but there is, currently, no retirement visa for Vietnam.

"Compared with the ease of retirement in Thailand when you were there, you will find it next to impossible to retire in Vietnam without a legal job, a Vietnamese wife or a lot of money to invest in business.
However, we have a number of forum members who have been able to string together many, many tourist visas and essentially remain in Vietnam for as long as a decade or more.
As l
ong as you don't mind exiting the country for border runs and reentering multiple times during the year, that is a possibility." @Oceanbeach
- @Aidan in HCMC

[link under review]  grrrrrrrr!
I'll try again, HERE
- @rdubois44

[link under review] by forum advisor oceanbeach?

As l
ong as you don't mind exiting the country for border runs and reentering multiple times during the year, that is a possibility." @Oceanbeach
- @Aidan in HCMC

[link under review]  grrrrrrrr!
I'll try again, HERE
- @Aidan in HCMC

That often happens when making a post containing a link and then going back & editing.

A website glitch long known but never fixed.
So, I'm a white guy married for quite awhile to Viet who is also American Citizen.  We've recently moved back to VN.  I'm wondering at times how this worm turns also.
Mac.
@Stein is right. There is so much building speculation by greedy developers, for wishful buyers who deposit early to flip later. Two nice big buildings near here, both designed to have malls on the first floor. Buildings done. No mall.

Off plan? I would only buy when the project is completely finished, and you can see the results. This is Vietnam, not the first world where you have recourse in the courts.
I would only buy to please my wife, she likes the feeling of permanence. For me, renting is lots cheaper (do the math, can you get better investment returns on your $150,000 to cover your rent? I haven't noticed appreciation where I lived in 5 years, but my friend in Thao Dien has. I like the freedom to move if there are neighbor problems (noise!) or management problems. Remember, no recourse. I guess I am a drifter too.
An ex-gf put a deposit on a place in a highrise apartment building in D3 back in 2010. She put down 300 million as a deposit, as did 200 other people. The developers were a well connected brother and sister from Ha Noi who after receiving all the deposits, packed up and moved back to Ha Noi taking eveyone's money. My ex-gf and others contacted police to try and have charges laid. The police informed them that nothing could be done as the brother and sister were too well connected to be touched. Buyer beware in Viet Nam, the laws are very weak and property scams are common.
The question is.....why on earth would anyone want to buy here? If your looking for a place to live far bentter to rent. If your looking for investment income better off buying in America....anyone can.
We will buy here for our security and family future. After seeking a place to purchase for some weeks now. (wife shops alone, no need to raise the price just because her husband is in tow, right!). So, she has become quite savvy since beginning shopping, very demanding even! Lotsa stories from drooling agents, also so called 'owners' of which she sees through quite clearly. After some time in the trenches, we are going to live temporarily at friends coconut farm, help on the farm,  slow down the property purchase process, things are changing even for investors here, infrastructure is coming up, as property and houses on market stay not sold longer now, interesting situation.
I posted before about the worm turning, and turning it seems to be. Kind of like weather forecasting here: look at the sky in all directions, depends on the winds and temperatures, and clouds too. For those of us who are familiar with piloting some distance, all signs of "the only sure thing is change."
Best everything to all.
My two cents,
Mac
ADDP
We will buy here for our security and family future. After seeking a place to purchase for some weeks now. (wife shops alone, no need to raise the price just because her husband is in tow, right!). So, she has become quite savvy since beginning shopping, very demanding even! Lotsa stories from drooling agents, also so called 'owners' of which she sees through quite clearly. After some time in the trenches, we are going to live temporarily at friends coconut farm, help on the farm,  slow down the property purchase process, things are changing even for investors here, infrastructure is coming up, as property and houses on market stay not sold longer now, interesting situation.
I posted before about the worm turning, and turning it seems to be. Kind of like weather forecasting here: look at the sky in all directions, depends on the winds and temperatures, and clouds too. For those of us who are familiar with piloting some distance, all signs of "the only sure thing is change."
Best everything to all.
My two cents,
Mac
ADDP
- @Mac68

Where are you buying?
There is one circumstance when I would say it is OK buy off plan.  That is if the person was willing to buy three apartments in three different developments.  You can get quite a bit better price buying off plan.  That's nothing new because there is risk.  But this is the mutual fund of VN off-plan real estate. Going in with the idea that one may fall through, assuming the other two do go through you can pick which one you want to live in and sell the other one for enough money than you lost on the third and still probably make a profit.   And you do have the real possibility that all three go through - much higher than the opposite of two not going through.  Depending on what level even two go under you still may be ahead on the one that does even writing off the loss of the other two versus buying when it is in move-in condition.

Buying one single unit not only is a financial risk but also a time risk.  Who wants to wait two or three years for an often delayed project that you are married to because it's your only option.  Buy three and take the one that gets completed first, move in and wait out the other two.  It would likely be anywhere from slightly ahead to wildly ahead sometime in the future.